Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Accommodation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info
Ocean Florida
Unread 20 May 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

Gulf Coast Conundrum

So this is our fifth year in a row and I was hoping to do some different things - Florida is such an amazing place after all!

I though we could stay for a few days (maybe 4 or 5) on the Gulf Coast - somewhere within 2 hours driving of Orlando.

We have only ever stayed in Orlando and really love Universal's Cabana Bay resort - love the facilities.

She (who must be obeyed) really likes to relax on holiday, so no cooking, etc - so beach condos, and villas are out of the question.

Problem is that I can't see many Gulf Hotel resorts that have the facilities similar to Orlando hotels - plus we also need at least one extra bedroom (or division) for the eldest son.

A lot of the accommodation I've seen is either mad price 300 plus per night - or beach hut condo style

Any suggestions from your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
asmidir is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Just because your DW doesn't want to cook why does that stop you from hiring a villa?
Unread 20 May 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Magnificent
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Just because your DW doesn't want to cook why does that stop you from hiring a villa?
I must agree - when I was at my villa in March I didn't turn on the oven at all ... though I did use the blender a few times and the microwave once if that counts .

TREEFIELD VILLAS
EACH ONE A MAGNIFICENT PLACE TO STAY!

3 bed 2 bath
Treefield Villa at High Grove
The model home on the fabulous High Grove community!

5 bed 4 bath
Treefield Reserve at Town Center Resort
Only home w/lake, conservation, balcony, south pool, total privacy & 10 seat theatre

8 bed 5 bath
Treefield Retreat at Legacy Park
Only 8 bed w/conservation, theatre, 16 seat diner & private pool deck

01902 496562
07981 064918
enquiries@treefield.co.uk
www.treefield.co.uk
Magnificent is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Treefield Reserve then Treefield Retreat
Unread 20 May 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

I guess its the convenience of food and drink instantly available that makes us prefer hotels - and yes I know we could walmart/publix a villa, somehow it's just not the same...
asmidir is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Magnificent
Imagineer

Depends on the villa - a villa with a restaurant within say a 3 minute walk there may not be much choice, but there may still be one or two. Obviously not gulf coast, one of my villas has an Irish bar/eatery literally seconds' walk away. In the hotel, would still be waiting for the lift!

Having said that, you may not get much change out of 300 per night for a villa at the gulf coast that's within walking distance of restaurants anyway!

TREEFIELD VILLAS
EACH ONE A MAGNIFICENT PLACE TO STAY!

3 bed 2 bath
Treefield Villa at High Grove
The model home on the fabulous High Grove community!

5 bed 4 bath
Treefield Reserve at Town Center Resort
Only home w/lake, conservation, balcony, south pool, total privacy & 10 seat theatre

8 bed 5 bath
Treefield Retreat at Legacy Park
Only 8 bed w/conservation, theatre, 16 seat diner & private pool deck

01902 496562
07981 064918
enquiries@treefield.co.uk
www.treefield.co.uk
Magnificent is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Treefield Reserve then Treefield Retreat
Unread 20 May 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyM
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Ive booked Best Western hotels in Siesta Key, Sarasota and Naples for this summer. Approx $100 a night each hotel including breakfast for 2 adults and a teenager. Not too bad a price considering many of the hotels on offer. Beach front hotels are significantly more expensive. Gulf coast is also very expensive when you compare with hotels in Orlando.
Unread 21 May 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Persnicketty's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
Problem is that I can't see many Gulf Hotel resorts that have the facilities similar to Orlando hotels - plus we also need at least one extra bedroom (or division) for the eldest son.:
Yep. As you rightly observe, the coast is a different animal.

And if you want a resort style hotel, you ARE looking at much higher prices and more limited choice than a simple hotel only.

We stayed at the mid range Grand Plaza Resort in St Pete Beach last year. Very popular wedding hotel, but has 2 decent restaurants and a convenient location.

Nearby there are other options like the budget Dolphin, or the better appointed Guy Harvey Outpost or the TradeWinds.

But honestly? As soon as you mention needing 2 bedrooms, you are looking at a condo or apt, whther you use the kitchen or not. Have a look at the Sunset Vista in Treasure Island.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Ears Ache begins again in
Unread 21 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We are staying at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota for 3 nights. The hotel overlooks the bay. They run a free shuttle bus which runs from the hotel through (and stops here) Armand Circle (lots of shops and restaurants) then on to the private beach club on lido key.

If you want cheaper then how about St Petes, Clearwater?
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
West Coast Florida trip
Florida Tix