Notices

Old 1 May 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Is there Norway we can a-fjord this?! Pre-trip report

So for those who were paying attention on my last trip report – the recently completed “The Many Drinks of Jo: DCL & US/IoA Sep/Oct 15” – whilst onboard the Disney Magic we decided to book ourselves on another cruise. We enjoyed our time onboard the Magic so much that despite already having a WDW holiday booked up for October we felt that the onboard discount of 10% off plus $200 onboard credit was too good an opportunity to miss so we went ahead and booked another cruise; reasoning that we could always move it if we didn’t think we could afford it.

Anyway, we made the finances work and we set sail again on the 29th May, that’s only 4 weeks from today!

Here's a recap of our crew (there are rumours of a mutiny as the captain's leadership is in dispute!)

Captain Stew: 39 years old. Originally from Essex now residing in leafy Hertfordshire. Creative Director by profession.

First mate Jo: 31 years old. London born, bought up in Hertford. Psychology and Science tutor.

Bosun Isabella: 4 years old. Ballerina in training, Princess in the making.

The Sear crew

Here’s what we’ll be up to:

Itinerary
  • Day 1: 29th May - Board the Disney Magic, Dover
  • Day 2: 30th May - Day at Sea
  • Day 3: 31st May - Stavanger, Norway
  • Day 4: 1st June - Ålesund, Norway
  • Day 5: 2nd June - Geiranger, Norway
  • Day 6: 3rd June - Bergen, Norway
  • Day 7: 4th June - Day at Sea
  • Day 8: 5th June - Arrive back at Dover

Excursions
As we’re visiting the Norwegian fjords with all it’s amazing scenery we’ve booked up two excursions in the ports.

Whilst in Alesund we’ll be taking the Ålesund Highlights tour that includes:
  • A 30-minute guided journey through the art nouveau area of Ålesund en route to the Sunnmøre Museum.
  • A 90-minute tour of the the outdoor museum featuring more than 50 well-preserved buildings, including a traditional Borgund stone church dating back to 1250 and a vast boat collection (including replicas of Viking ships)
  • A 15 minute drive to the top of Mount Aksla for a 30-minute visit

At Geiranger we’ll be doing the Views of Norway excursion that includes the following:
  • A one-hour scenic journey along mountain roads to Lake Djupvatn and Mount Dalsnibba, where we arrive at Dasnibba viewpoint, 4500 feet (1372 meters) above sea level
  • An approximately 15-minute ride to the Djupvasshytta Lodge where we stop for approximately 45 minutes for traditional Norwegian and Danish pastries
  • A 30 minute drive to the beautiful Flydalsjuvet viewpoint for spectacular vistas of Geirangerfjord

At the remaining ports, Stavanger and Bergen we plan on exploring independently, in other words wandering aimlessly around the town! Inexplicably, Jo wants to visit the Stavanger petroleum museum so we’ll head there at some point for the sights and smells! And whilst in Bergen we may take the wonderfully named Fløibanen funicular up Mount Floyen.

The petroleum museum will be BRILLIANT. The discovery of North Sea oil transformed the area, so it’s interesting socially and historically as well as scientifically. So ner. – Jo

This cruise is obviously shorter (and colder) than the previous one but we’ll still be taking advantage of what the Magic has to offer. Isabella has already said how much she’s looking forward to the kids club again; Jo and I are looking forward to the cocktails and wonderful food; and we hope to make it to the cinema this time.

There’ll be no Exotic Rasul this time around – I hope that hasn’t lost me too many readers – but we will be doing the following
  • First sea day - The Crown Package for Isabella at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
  • Second sea day - Palo Brunch for Jo and I

Whilst we’re at Bergen there will be a Frozen night instead of the usual Pirate Night, fireworks aren’t allowed in those waters apparently. Anyone that read my last trip report may recall the unfavourable review I gave to the Freezing the Night Away deck party, which will also be the main focus for the Frozen Night this time around. We’re hoping that a better spot to watch the show will help i.e. in front, rather than to the side of, the stage; and that the show itself will be a little more slick.

There will be Princesses...

Good food...

Cocktails...

Palo Brunch...

Mickey Waffles...

And Frozen

A big bonus on this cruise will be that ‘Tangled: The Musical’ will be showing in the Walt Disney Theatre one night. This brand new show based on Tangled (obviously) has had rave reviews since it premiered in November and on the night of the show, the O’Gills bar becomes the Snuggly Duckling, so we’ll definitely be checking that out too.

And that’s about it. The journey to and from the boat should be easy as it’s a fairly straightforward drive to and from Dover and we have parking sorted near the port.

As usual there will be photos posted on Instagram at instagram/stewboy and instagram/joannesear

Until then, TFR!

The Sears

Edited at 09:29 AM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 16, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Although I really want to say 'have a great trip' I also don't want to as we will be getting off the Magic to allow you to get on! Only joking... have a great time!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 16, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Although I really want to say 'have a great trip' I also don't want to as we will be getting off the Magic to allow you to get on! Only joking... have a great time!
Thank you. I'm sure we will. Make sure you leave it in a nice state for us...
Old 2 May 16, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

We were *this* close to booking this exact cruise at one stage last year! (We didn't).

Have fun, looking forward to Isabella's drawings!
Old 2 May 16, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
I have to say, excellent work with the punny title.

Can't wait to read this TR! Sounds amazing!

We are also at SSR in October! Good choice! x

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Looking forward to reading- have enjoyed your many faces/drinks of Jo trips! We are in Norway same time- but on RC- looking forward to the scenery too- as well as the numerous cocktails/food etc!
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Looking forward to reading ! That's a beautiful photo at the end the one of the three of you
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 16, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
kerfromscotland
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Looking forward to your trip report, lovely plans. We're going to Saratoga Springs in October too
PO French Quarter 1996, PO Riverside 1997, 1998,1999, 2000, Our Honeymoon Caribbean Beach Resort September 2001, Hawthorn Suites 2004, PO Riverside October 2013 Saratoga Springs 2016, Cosmopolitan Las Vegas 2017 All Star Sports 2018
kerfromscotland is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyme
Excited about Disney

Looking forward to reading along

Have a great trip!
disneyme is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 16, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
You are spoiling us with back to back trip reports.
Please don't change this!
Beautiful photos and great plans. Enjoy.

Mrs P
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List