Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Sep 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Learning guitar at 50+

In my wisdom I decided to learn guitar. My Daughter is a brilliant player and is teaching me but what kind of hell is this pain in my fingers? Holy heck it hurts

Has anyone else taken up guitar at 50+?

To make matters worse I have tinnitus, wear varifocal glasses and have arthritis in my thumbs . Don't I paint a pretty picture!

Please tell me that I will get there and to persevere as at the moment I can't feel my fingers in my left hand and its taking forever to type

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I had guitar lessons when I was at junior school and I hated it because my fingers hurt so bad. My mum used to play and she said after a while your fingers do stop hurting but I never got to that stage and gave it up. I tried the flute instead and that was much better for me 😂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My DH decided to start guitar lessons at 45. He still has lessons (3 years and counting), but finds it very slow and frustrating, but isn’t giving up. As he’s a carpenter, his fingers are too strong (!), and not supple enough according to his teacher - but he doesn’t have the problem with the tips of his fingers.

Both kids also play, and haven’t had any issues - although my daughter complains the teacher makes her cut her nails.

In my wisdom, I decided to start piano lessons in February - lessons were on hold for 6 months due to Covid, but now back. It hurts my head trying to figure out which keys I should be playing (I can read music but have a blind spot when it comes to the left hand!).
Old 29 Sep 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

It takes a while for the ends of your fingers to toughen up but you will get there. I’ve played since I was 8 and, though I had lessons for about 15 years, I don’t play as often now and it takes a while to desensitise my finger tips. It also takes a good few weeks for my fingers to loosen up and for me to get at least some of the strength and dexterity back, but it does come back if you do a bit every day.

Are you on acoustic, classical or electric? The nylon strings of the classical are much kinder than the steel strings of the acoustic.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I've just made some necklaces out of guitar string from my cousin who's been in a band for years.
I had to boil them as his fingers still bleed and he's played for a long long time.
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mov
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
In my wisdom I decided to learn guitar. My Daughter is a brilliant player and is teaching me but what kind of hell is this pain in my fingers? Holy heck it hurts

Has anyone else taken up guitar at 50+?

To make matters worse I have tinnitus, wear varifocal glasses and have arthritis in my thumbs . Don't I paint a pretty picture!

Please tell me that I will get there and to persevere as at the moment I can't feel my fingers in my left hand and its taking forever to type
There's no better time to start learning than today.

After some time your fingertips will harden and there won't be any pain anymore. It does take some perseverence and determination to get through that stage, but once you're there and you find yourself able to play your first few songs it will give you the feeling of excitement to continue improving and learning more songs.

6 or so months down the road you'll be sitting there having a jamming session with your daughter and you'll be glad that you started
mov is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have you considered getting your guitar re-strung with lighter gauge strings? Often the strings that come with a guitar are not of great quality and you can by decent strings online fairly cheaply. Also sometimes the action can be too high making it uncomfortable- again this can be easily reset buy a local guitar repair person or shop.

Unfortunately a bit of toughening up of your hands is needed too.

Good luck with it all

Edited at 10:02 PM.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Thanks for your replies. I am learning on an electric now as the strings are not too hard to press down apparently. I have tried on her acoustic and it hurt so bad

I am sticking with it and am already able to play a recognisable version of stand by me , its not too pretty but I love it

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

No time like the present, my dad was learning at nearly 50, he could almost play the opening to stairway to heaven in his electric guitar. I tried to pick it up a bit, but I couldn’t quite catch on, I’m a much better flute player (less keys to loose my fingers on!)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List