Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Mar 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I've used Hillarys and a local company. I had different each time so didnt compare but my friend had Hillarys and then used the local company and she said the local company were actually not much cheaper which did surprise me
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks for your thoughts so far
For those of you have verticals over a window sill / board ( Tom) , how much gap do you have between the sill / board and the bottom of the blind ?
Will explain my position more later
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Slightly more for the longer ones for a patio door so they allow more air to escape as you pull back what is a huge amount of vanes.

Circa 20mm I would say

These are mine fitted a few hours ago. Carpet will then go up to the plastic board.

The rest of the house slightly less

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Cheers Tom
As you may have guessed we have already bought and have been regretting it ever since
We have had ridiculous problems resulting in several long emails but no resolution as yet despite dealing with a dozen different people
However whilst dealing with the other issues ( too boring for here ) I totally neglected the fact the verticals were not hung at even heights over the board at all- huge variation between the shortest gap ( <1cm ) to the biggest ( over 3 )

Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Cheers Tom
As you may have guessed we have already bought and have been regretting it ever since
We have had ridiculous problems resulting in several long emails but no resolution as yet despite dealing with a dozen different people
However whilst dealing with the other issues ( too boring for here ) I totally neglected the fact the verticals were not hung at even heights over the board at all- huge variation between the shortest gap ( <1cm ) to the biggest ( over 3 )

Mmm. Sadly a problem that cannot be catered for. Your window boards like a few of mine aren't parallel to the window. There will always be a few millimeters difference but it seems yours are worse.

The trouble with making the vanes all different lengths is they then wont pull back nicely and stack to one (or both) sides without some of those vanes being too long to move.

So for the length issue I think you are stuck with what you have got. The other option is to 'reskin' the window board with a 3mm thick board and pack it higher at the end that has the biggest gap to the vanes.
Can be done but will be hard to get it perfectly straight.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Really appreciate your advice Tom.
You certainly seem to have a keen eye - how can you tell that just looking at those pictures ?
The thing I don’t get is that I didn’t notice anything out of kilter with the old blinds.
The new blinds rails are actually fitted using the old blind fittings so I would have expected everything to sit nicely
Old 11 Mar 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Really appreciate your advice Tom.
You certainly seem to have a keen eye - how can you tell that just looking at those pictures ?
The thing I don’t get is that I didn’t notice anything out of kilter with the old blinds.
The new blinds rails are actually fitted using the old blind fittings so I would have expected everything to sit nicely
The vanes are invariably machine made hence identical lengths thus there must be a variance in the window 'drop'

I would be taking off 4 or 5 vanes and check they are all the exact same length.

I bet they are which sadly doesn't address your issue.

Cannot beat a Tradesman's eye

Old 11 Mar 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Cheers
Think I need to get my spirit level out as well to check the rails are level
That’s about as complex as I get in terms of being a tradesman 😂
Old 11 Mar 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Cheers
Think I need to get my spirit level out as well to check the rails are level
That’s about as complex as I get in terms of being a tradesman 😂
I need to be careful on here as what is easy for a 65 year old time served Tradesman is not so easy for a DIY person or someone not au fait with such issues.
Best of luck.

Old 12 Mar 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
OP. I have been thinking about this all day. I need to get out more!

If the vanes are all the same length and the distance between the lintel and window board tapers I would be looking at ‘splitting the difference’
Somehow or other this gap needs to be sorted.
To that end I would buy different size plastic washers white in colour and use them under the blind track to lower one end by packing out under the clips holding the track up
Ok, it won’t sort out the problem but it will mitigate it a bit.
Best I can do sorry.