Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Sep 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Very sad for all involved and I hope the spread has decreased by Christmas so we can all meet with family. I just remember watching the news a few months ago and the situation where a young person came home from uni, hugged his grand parents and they caught Covid from him and subsequently died. He was asymptomatic and had no idea, he must feel terrible. I suspose this was the original thinking behind shielding grandparents, but it still sucks !
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Manchester metropolitan uni , where my DD was going to go but decide to defer , have announced 127 positive cases and now have 1700 students in self isolation .

To be honest I am really glad she has decided to defer but feel sorry for those in the 2nd/3rd/4th years ( across all uni’a not just manmet) who have had little choice but carry on with their course

Of course the whole situation is difficult for the whole population but I do feel for the uni students this year
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
My nephew moved into halls at Uni on Weds, and seems ok at the moment. He's a 1st year, my sister is worrying about him, and he doesn't always make friends easily, with not having the freedom you would normally get at Uni it is a bit sad for all of them. I text him earlier and he seems fine, has been on his xbox and chatting to a few people. He's only 45 mins away so we can go and get him if we need to.
If anything with bubbles been smaller at uni it might work in his favour if he’s a little bit reserved in “big” social settings making friends.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:12 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Manchester metropolitan uni , where my DD was going to go but decide to defer , have announced 127 positive cases and now have 1700 students in self isolation .

To be honest I am really glad she has decided to defer but feel sorry for those in the 2nd/3rd/4th years ( across all uni’a not just manmet) who have had little choice but carry on with their course

Of course the whole situation is difficult for the whole population but I do feel for the uni students this year
Later years would have had the option to take a year out too.
I think though it’s toughest on the first years , later years are more likely not in halls, already have a social circle, know the area etc .
I think if I’d had a child starting Uni this year I’d have encouraged them to defer though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenS
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Our DD is a first year medical student at Dundee. She moved into her campus flat today. Sharing with four other students. The flat is huge. They have all stayed in tonight as instructed and will go out as a household after this weekend. Luckily they seem to all get on well. I feel so sorry got the students. They have lost out on so much this year. My worry is that they will try and force them to stay on campus over Christmas. The whole situation is just so worrying.
KarenS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
After what’s happening in Scotland is anyone worried about their kids. I feel bad, I’m sending my dd off tomorrow to sit in her room at Halls with one actual lesson a week and then isolation from Monday for a week. Matt Hancock is talking about kids staying at uni for Christmas and not coming home. What if my dd wants to get on the train and come home for a visit is that allowed? My heart goes out to kids in Scotland at uni
How did your daughter get on Sandra 💕💕 xx
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

I really feel for First year uni students and feel they as a group are some of the ones who have suffer the most in this situation. The end of their school life just disappeared no Summer Balls, End of year pub crawls ,first girls/lads holidays lots of 18ths missed and difficult to find summer jobs and now this start to their uni life. Such a hard decision do they stay at home stuck in the house with few jobs, travel plans and possibly few friends around if they have gone or try to make the most of a half baked start to uni? Whatever your young adults decide good luck to them they deserve it after the year they have had.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

Oh and good luck to you parents to. So very hard at the best of times this year even more so.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
How did your daughter get on Sandra 💕💕 xx
Hi she’s in Southampton Uni halls, she was sick with nerves all week but much better once we got there. The room is very small and dated but clean, I did wipe over some things and she’s decorated it with lots of pretty stuff. She has girls in the same flat that she met yesterday and a few friends from high school. My dds not a drinker or a party animal but as long as she’s got a few people to hang out with and she doesn’t get the virus all is well! Thanks for asking Claire xx
Old 27 Sep 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Later years would have had the option to take a year out too.
I think though it’s toughest on the first years , later years are more likely not in halls, already have a social circle, know the area etc .
I think if I’d had a child starting Uni this year I’d have encouraged them to defer though.
I had 2 starting this year, dd19 had a gap year last year, dd18 from this year

Dd19 is going now, and in Swansea... lockdown, so no trips home... but she is with her partner, so worries are minimised somewhat.

Dd18 is taking a year out, resitting chemistry to give her some focus and we will see what the next year will bring. I am glad she is home.

Both have decided for themselves, and am secretly pleased with both. Though not seeing dd19 for a while (again! - she lives in Wales and couldn't come here for ages in summer either) will be hard, she is getting on with life and happy.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List