Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
Hi she’s in Southampton Uni halls, she was sick with nerves all week but much better once we got there. The room is very small and dated but clean, I did wipe over some things and she’s decorated it with lots of pretty stuff. She has girls in the same flat that she met yesterday and a few friends from high school. My dds not a drinker or a party animal but as long as she’s got a few people to hang out with and she doesn’t get the virus all is well! Thanks for asking Claire xx
Sandra, sounds good, you sound a little less anxious and she has taken the opportunity to spread her wings in a confined way!

I really wouldnt worry about the not drinking or partying, my daughter was at Southampton, had and still has a lovely group of friends and never drank at all and is not a party animal.

I think some young people today are much more health and life conscious than I was at their age.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Sandra, sounds good, you sound a little less anxious and she has taken the opportunity to spread her wings in a confined way!

I really wouldnt worry about the not drinking or partying, my daughter was at Southampton, had and still has a lovely group of friends and never drank at all and is not a party animal.

I think some young people today are much more health and life conscious than I was at their age.
I am less anxious because dd is less anxious, she has been sitting with a bowl on the sofa all week to be sick in but then perked up every afternoon. Before we left yesterday she was sitting on the sofa holding her sick bowl that she hadn’t used looking like a little girl I started worrying if she should be going to uni at all. Got in the car and she was fine!
Old 27 Sep 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

Aww Sandra bless her, I’ve been like that with the sick bowl all week... it’s how my body deals with anxiety. I don’t think I’ve stopped crying since I dropped dd off in London yesterday, my eyes a swollen shut. I’ll be ok once I hear she is ok, luckily she seems fine so far and is off with some friends to an IKEA today. My heart hurts.
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Moleymole View Post
Aww Sandra bless her, I’ve been like that with the sick bowl all week... it’s how my body deals with anxiety. I don’t think I’ve stopped crying since I dropped dd off in London yesterday, my eyes a swollen shut. I’ll be ok once I hear she is ok, luckily she seems fine so far and is off with some friends to an IKEA today. My heart hurts.
It’s really hard, but I suppose now my sons living in Canada and other ds did 3 years at uni but only lived away for two I’m getting a bit more used to it. If dd is happy I’m happy and she hasn’t contacted me this morning so must be in bed. She hasn’t been sleeping all week, I wish they hadn’t got my anxious gene but second ds and dd have it badly. Take care Dawn they have to spread their wings even when we want them to stay with us forever. Im more worried about the uni going into quarantine and them not being allowed home!
Old 27 Sep 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

I know, there’s so many uncertainties with Covid. My two have both inherited my nerves as well, I really wish they hadn’t. You’ve been through it a few times now then Sandra
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Moleymole View Post
I know, there’s so many uncertainties with Covid. My two have both inherited my nerves as well, I really wish they hadn’t. You’ve been through it a few times now then Sandra
I FaceTimed dd and she’s not very happy, I hope that’s changes because it’s early days. She said everyone’s really friendly with each other and she’s a bit left out. One of her high school friends is arriving soon in another halls building so that might perk her up! I hope she makes friends! 🙏
Old 27 Sep 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I FaceTimed dd and she’s not very happy, I hope that’s changes because it’s early days. She said everyone’s really friendly with each other and she’s a bit left out. One of her high school friends is arriving soon in another halls building so that might perk her up! I hope she makes friends! 🙏
I feel your stress and pain Sandra, my DD was the same last year when she first went. She was homesick for the first month and, like your DD, doesn’t drink so didn’t quickly make friends. It does get better though, my DD made friends mainly on her course and started to feel less homesick.

She found she liked to come home some weekends to see us and her pets as she missed those but she’s perfectly happy at uni now and was very sad that she had to leave early in March as she missed her friends and the city. She’s settled very happily back in this week with her 3 friends in their new houseshare too.

I’m sure your DD will find her friendship group soon and start to feel more settled there xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Our son is a 1st year medical student at St Andrews. He was there for Fresher's week (albeit Freshers in a watered down fashion) and has been studying now for 2 weeks.
This weekend they are, as they are in Scotland, in a kind of lockdown and last weekend the University of St Andrews entered their own voluntary lockdown of sorts.
So this is his second weekend being restricted.

His girlfriend is at Glasgow, first year, in halls, and because they have been locked down are receiving a four week rent rebate plus a £50 credit to spend on local food delivery. She is not enjoying it much at all, as all her lectures are online. At least our son has anatomy, and then other sessions in the lab to look forward to.

It really sucks for all students all over the UK this year but in particular the first year students as it's their first time away. I'm VERY very thankful, oh how thankful I am, that our boy is fine, enjoying the company of those he is associated with and forming good friendships, and really knuckling down to his studies, doing extra research in his spare time, generally absolutely loving it-but some of his friends are struggling a bit it has to be said. He is chivvying them along the best he can bless him.

I do feel for anyone in these circumstances. There's going to be an avalanche of at least low- grade mental health issues I fear.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
My dd has a Good friend on the same course as her, she’s moving in today so surely that will be better! 🤷
But from tomorrow they have to quarantine for a week so we will see 🤦

Edited at 04:18 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List