Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Sep 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

Geese!

Every year in early Autumn we get thousands of geese flying over. Does anyone else get this, or is it unique to our area? (North West coast.)
It’s something that I have always been aware of, but never really considered before now. I don’t even know if they’re coming, or leaving, or just flying over! It always signals the start of Autumn for me.
They sound really comical, honking while flying in a massive v shape. Then you get an occasional straggler flying on its own, probably desperately looking for its friends!
Anyone enlighten me? I could probably look it up myself if not.
We live quite near a bird Wetlands place.
Goofy3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We used to when we’ve stayed in various places and they were flying to various winter
Feeding grounds RSPB sites Martin Mere bring one always the first sign of autumn even as a child when the wild geese would arrive on our small holding for winter
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

We get it too, we back on to a country park (2 houses away)... thought it was a common occurrence all across the uk...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We see them every year. What a noise they make even though they are quite high up. We live in Edinburgh and I have no idea where they are going either!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have them too at this time of year... thousands of them. I'm in Stirlingshire

Large numbers of pink-footed geese arrive in the UK from their breeding grounds in Greenland and Iceland. Thousands spend the winter on the eastern coast of Scotland. These birds start to arrive from early to mid September, with numbers increasing up to mid October.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
We have them too at this time of year... thousands of them. I'm in Stirlingshire

Large numbers of pink-footed geese arrive in the UK from their breeding grounds in Greenland and Iceland. Thousands spend the winter on the eastern coast of Scotland. These birds start to arrive from early to mid September, with numbers increasing up to mid October.
Hah - so they are not going they are coming!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

We get them too, when they are heading for the local reservoir. Love the noise they make when they are flying
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

This time of year they will be feeding off seed crop stubble before winter ploughing
Then they will move off to winter feeding breeding grounds they were born in
Which unfortunately are getting less and less
If you want to see them and other migrant birds check out the RSPB site for your nearest site can be a
Overly peaceful day out you can even take dogs on leads to some sites or buy approve. Food at others
Word of caution wellies warm clothes and camera and binoculars needed and most don’t have toilets
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Get a lot of them migrating each year - we are in Essex. Sometimes we hear them and they can be fairly noisy.
JAF is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Have a caravan on the northumberland coast and park is full of geese. I actually feel lost without them when i dont hear them. If park is full of guests they dont seem to fly over as much. When its owners only they wander around.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List