Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I've not got much about suggestions, but about sizing.

Most older tv's have a bezel around the edge, and I made the mistake of including that bezel in the measurements that I made when I went from a 47" to a 55".

The 55" tv was only slightly larger than the 47" because of the bezel. Most tv's now have practically no bezel, so perhaps you can go for a larger tv.
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The 2019/20 models.were deemed.not suitable for the latest version of Android and Sony were not going to offer an upgrade for those models.

Law suits later from US owners they backed down and deployed it. As they had said they turned out to be laggy.

The Philips OLED's are much better option than the Sony's for AndriodTV or an LG if WebOS has the apps you want.
I'm looking at a 2020 model and the same model 2019 at £200 cheaper. I was planning to go for the 2019 model if they knocked a further £100 off for Black Friday but I'm second guessing myself now. A couple of people on the reviews for 2019 model complained of lagging on the Android system but none of the reviews for the 2020 model mention it.

Maybe I'll go for a non-Android one then, it'll be a lot cheaper, it has to be Sony for me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Why does it have to be Sony? The Philips is exactly the same panel (different speaker system), Android TV latest version, with a performing processor and ambilight (thought this was gimmicky, but really does work and take the strain off the eyes).

Equally the LG is the same panel, again good processor, faster refresh than the Sony or Philips if you are a gamer and WebOS is pretty good and they have the key apps.

I would go one of these routes than Sony at the moment. The direction would depend on whether you are a gamer.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post

We've been a Sony household for the last forty years, we only switched once (JVC) and weren't happy with the picture, the blacks have to be black. We kept it for a couple of years and sold it to my mother and then bought a Sony.

I'm not a gamer but want the best picture possible.

Thanks for your input and advice. I'll have a look at your suggestions ... : - )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I read this whole thread its like a foreign language to me! Its what I call ‘tech speak’ The only bit I got was TV or as I like to call it ‘telly’

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
We've been a Sony household for the last forty years, we only switched once (JVC) and weren't happy with the picture, the blacks have to be black. We kept it for a couple of years and sold it to my mother and then bought a Sony.

I'm not a gamer but want the best picture possible.

Thanks for your input and advice. I'll have a look at your suggestions ... : - )
If it must be Sony then the 2020 OLED's will be the best option. Avoid the 2019 models like the plague as they really are a performance nightmare on the latest Android OS.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I read this whole thread its like a foreign language to me! Its what I call ‘tech speak’ The only bit I got was TV or as I like to call it ‘telly’
And here is the problem, buying a TV now is a complex choice if you want to future proof yourself.

There is currently a standards war going on both in HDR technology and in the technology for displays.

Many get fooled by Samsung who make eye burningly bright, but black poor TVs with their QLED technology that only support their HDR10+ format and not Dolby which the likes of Netflix had got behind.

You really need to be getting a TV which supports both formats.

There are also new players on the block who are making better TV's than some of the established players for a lot less money. This has been driven by the consolidation of panel makers over the years to remove the difference there and shifted the focus to processing the image and user experience of the interface.

Then of course you have those who really don't care and pictures have got more than good enough at a basic level and price is everything. Nothing wrong with that end of the scale either if it suits you
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mad Mark
Getting Excited

Word of caution around LG. I have an LG TV which was three years old last month and the picture was turning very blue. Luckily I brought from John Lewis (5 year warranty) who were excellent and it was repaired however it turns out the leds LG used to backlight the screen turn blue over time and is a known issue with LG tv's. The repair guy said they see loads of LG's with this fault but rare with other makes.

1998 - Off Site WDW 2000 - Off Site WDW 2002 - CBR 2004 - CSR 2006 - POR 2008 - Disneyland Hong Kong 2008 - CBR 2011 - Atlanta/SSR 2015 - Michigan/OKW 2017 - DCL/SSR 2018 - ST Augustine/SSR 2019 - DCL/POFQ
Mad Mark is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

smart tvs are only as good as their software updates/support, and *most* stop being supported after a couple of years.

dont buy a TV for its smart features. buy it for the quality of the panel. spend £50 on a fire stick or similar device instead. that will keep getting the updates, and then in 5 years time when its all a bit slow and needs replacing, you just spend another £50 on one instead of buying a new tv!
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Interesting stuff, as we thought about a new TV this weekend, primarily to move the living room TV up to my son's bedroom.

@400ixl - what would you recommend for, say, £500-600 in the c50" size right now?

I'm also a Sony man - I've just always had Sony TVs. I don't care about Android OS, speed and apps as we use an AppleTV for all that kind of jazz.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List