Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jan 10, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
ShuGray
Imagineer

Tips for taking a 17 month old?

So hubby and I are planning our holidays for 2011 at the moment and have decided that we will have a beach one in June 2011 with, what will be, our 1 year old (baby due in July this year ).

He suggested/knows not to argue, that we go to DLP for a long weekend towards the end of the year when it's less busy when baby is 17 months. Now I consider myself a bit of an expert when it comes to DLP and have done it many times but NEVER with a toddler!

So I was wondering what do people in the know, recommend?

Which hotel would you stay at?
What tips can you offer other than going slow?
Would you Eurostar it or drive over?

I'll take my own stroller and plenty of 'essentials'. TIA.
Old 18 Jan 10, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahb74
Excited about Disney

Hi Shula,
We went when my youngest was 22 months and travelled by Eurostar. It was convenient but I'm not sure its ideal as you will inevitably have quite a lot of stuff and I found managing getting the kids on and off the train while hubby struggled with the luggage was a bit of a pain. If you only have the one child with 2 adults it might be more manageable. We also took our own stroller - I wouldnt have bothered in hindsight, its more hassle getting it on and off the train than carrying a small child and you can always borrow strollers at the park. Also youngest, who had been very excited threw a complete fit when the train pulled in and was refusing to get on it which added to the fun! We are driving when we next go (3 weeks and 6 days!) with youngest now 3.5, just so we can be in control of what is going on (and buy loads of toys etc while we are there!). Also our Eurostar had a mechanical problem which meant it travelled really slowly, we were delayed by a couple of hours and the food they provided as compensation wasnt really child friendly (bean salad I think!) so it put us off a bit.

We stayed at the New York which was fab - seemed to be a lot more adults and business people and not many kids so we never queued to have photos taken with the characters after breakfast.

Hope that helps.
Sarah
sarahb74 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 10, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We took our daughter for her 1st birthday then again at 20 mths and 3 1/2 .

We went via Eurostar and its so easy .. they even take your luggage to your hotel for you so you can go straight in the parks.

Also its far quicker than driving ..my kids were good travellers and could have managed the journey in the car but not all babies/toddlers are (my friends baby used to scream and scream ). Another advantage of Eurostar is that you can get up and walk about if they start to get bored.

And i dont think you need that much stuff with you, nappies, wipes, clothes and maybe calpol for emergences.. Most 17mths old eat proper food etc so dont have to worry about that.

Talk your own pushchair... its expensive to hire them and you can only used hired ones in the parks so not much use for going to and from the hotels or in the evenings in Disney Village.. We had a Maclaren that we used, it reclined fully so she could sleep when she wanted too.

We did most things in the parks... i dont think you have to go slow as a child of that age isnt going to demand to do things etc... there is loads of rides they can do and of course character meets.. my daughter loved the characters when she was small but my son wasnt so keen.. A good way to introduce them gently is a character breakfast where they can come over and spend a bit of time with you, far less manic than meeting them in the parks !

We have stayed at Sequioa and Newport Bay.. both pretty close to the parks/disney village and have nice swimming pools.

When we took her for her 1st birthday it was November and it was bitterly cold, we had a footmuff and a couple of blankets for her when in the buggy, then i bought an all in one snow suit for when we took her out of the buggy.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 10, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ShuGray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sarahb74 View Post
Hi Shula,
We went when my youngest was 22 months and travelled by Eurostar. It was convenient but I'm not sure its ideal as you will inevitably have quite a lot of stuff and I found managing getting the kids on and off the train while hubby struggled with the luggage was a bit of a pain. If you only have the one child with 2 adults it might be more manageable. We also took our own stroller - I wouldnt have bothered in hindsight, its more hassle getting it on and off the train than carrying a small child and you can always borrow strollers at the park. Also youngest, who had been very excited threw a complete fit when the train pulled in and was refusing to get on it which added to the fun! We are driving when we next go (3 weeks and 6 days!) with youngest now 3.5, just so we can be in control of what is going on (and buy loads of toys etc while we are there!). Also our Eurostar had a mechanical problem which meant it travelled really slowly, we were delayed by a couple of hours and the food they provided as compensation wasnt really child friendly (bean salad I think!) so it put us off a bit.

We stayed at the New York which was fab - seemed to be a lot more adults and business people and not many kids so we never queued to have photos taken with the characters after breakfast.

Hope that helps.
Sarah
That's a helpful insight, thank you Sarah. I think you're right that 2 adults to one child will be an easier ratio for managing the Eurostar. Hubby's basically trying to weigh up whether he wants to drive it or if we'll just train it, neither he minds, he's just trying to think practically so I'll show him your post.

Sounds like you had a bit of a time with the delays and what not. Hopefully driving will be a lot easier for you.
Old 18 Jan 10, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ShuGray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
We took our daughter for her 1st birthday then again at 20 mths and 3 1/2 .

We went via Eurostar and its so easy .. they even take your luggage to your hotel for you so you can go straight in the parks.

Also its far quicker than driving ..my kids were good travellers and could have managed the journey in the car but not all babies/toddlers are (my friends baby used to scream and scream ). Another advantage of Eurostar is that you can get up and walk about if they start to get bored.

And i dont think you need that much stuff with you, nappies, wipes, clothes and maybe calpol for emergences.. Most 17mths old eat proper food etc so dont have to worry about that.

Talk your own pushchair... its expensive to hire them and you can only used hired ones in the parks so not much use for going to and from the hotels or in the evenings in Disney Village.. We had a Maclaren that we used, it reclined fully so she could sleep when she wanted too.

We did most things in the parks... i dont think you have to go slow as a child of that age isnt going to demand to do things etc... there is loads of rides they can do and of course character meets.. my daughter loved the characters when she was small but my son wasnt so keen.. A good way to introduce them gently is a character breakfast where they can come over and spend a bit of time with you, far less manic than meeting them in the parks !

We have stayed at Sequioa and Newport Bay.. both pretty close to the parks/disney village and have nice swimming pools.

When we took her for her 1st birthday it was November and it was bitterly cold, we had a footmuff and a couple of blankets for her when in the buggy, then i bought an all in one snow suit for when we took her out of the buggy.
That's a very good point about stretching your legs on the Eurostar, something we both like to do. Again, I'll show hubby your point of view too, it's good to see different opinions based on experience.

I intend to have my baby on solids from as soon as so I agree that I don't need to worry about the milk issue. I'll take plenty of snacks in our luggage too for the time in the parks to help with any miseries.

I think choosing a hotel with a pool may be a good idea so that's a good point. I've stayed at the Sequoia but not at New York and this hotel appeals to me for next time.

Hmm..yeah I've been in Feb and Oct when it has been bitter as you say. I think an all in one jobby will be required but that's ok, you can still get Mickey ears over the top of any hat I reckon Thanks for your opinion, it's appreciated.
Old 18 Jan 10, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We've done the drive down to south (ish, more south-middle really!) of France with DD at age 8 months, 19 months and 32 months (only the latter did we stop at Disney!), the first drive was pretty dreadful, took 3 days and we had lots of trouble trying to keep her chilled out, the second year was much better because I bought an in-car DVD player (worth its weight in gold ever since!). The drive back from DLP we did in one go - 9 hours door to door overnight. In 2 months, we're going back via Eurostar - we still intend to take our pushchair because it came in so handy last time.

When making your decision, I'd be thinking about where are you in the UK? That has a lot to do with it IMHO - if I still lived in Folkestone, I'd drive, but I live in Shropshire now!
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 10, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ShuGray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by squishy View Post
We've done the drive down to south (ish, more south-middle really!) of France with DD at age 8 months, 19 months and 32 months (only the latter did we stop at Disney!), the first drive was pretty dreadful, took 3 days and we had lots of trouble trying to keep her chilled out, the second year was much better because I bought an in-car DVD player (worth its weight in gold ever since!). The drive back from DLP we did in one go - 9 hours door to door overnight. In 2 months, we're going back via Eurostar - we still intend to take our pushchair because it came in so handy last time.

When making your decision, I'd be thinking about where are you in the UK? That has a lot to do with it IMHO - if I still lived in Folkestone, I'd drive, but I live in Shropshire now!
Definitely a good point. We're in Hertfordshire and door to door it would probably take us 5-6 hours but this is something we'd definitely have to consider. We're contemplating doing a drive down to Monaco in the future so this could be a good 'test run' I guess but we'll see.

I think I'm swaying for Eurostar at the moment but hubby needs to have a proper think. Thank you.
Old 19 Jan 10, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Please take your own stroller as the DLP ones do not recline and look more like wheelchairs then strollers. Not good if the little one wants to have a nap.

I would also recommened using Eurostar, I have travelled to DLP with my DD since she was 25 months old by myself 8 times (shes now 4) and its the best form of travel.

Our favourite hotel is the Cheyenne, but i'm not sure what your needs would be with a 1 year old, as we just use the room for rest and sleep saying that its a fantastic little hotel with the best theming onsite. This is our number 1 choice hotel for when we visit having stayed at all Disney hotels except the Seqouia Lodge.

Emma XOXO
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 10, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ShuGray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by atinkerfairy View Post
Please take your own stroller as the DLP ones do not recline and look more like wheelchairs then strollers. Not good if the little one wants to have a nap.

I would also recommened using Eurostar, I have travelled to DLP with my DD since she was 25 months old by myself 8 times (shes now 4) and its the best form of travel.

Our favourite hotel is the Cheyenne, but i'm not sure what your needs would be with a 1 year old, as we just use the room for rest and sleep saying that its a fantastic little hotel with the best theming onsite. This is our number 1 choice hotel for when we visit having stayed at all Disney hotels except the Seqouia Lodge.

Emma XOXO
Thanks Emma, yeah we'll take our own I think.

Ooo I love Cheyenne, I've stayed there a few times, electrocuted myself once there too hehe. It would be a contender but hubby prefers to be closer to the Village..obviously cost will play a part. As you say, it's just a bed at the end of the day. xxx
Old 19 Jan 10, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ShuGray View Post
Thanks Emma, yeah we'll take our own I think.

Ooo I love Cheyenne, I've stayed there a few times, electrocuted myself once there too hehe. It would be a contender but hubby prefers to be closer to the Village..obviously cost will play a part. As you say, it's just a bed at the end of the day. xxx
Just remember it only takes 10-15mins walk to the parks and back, which is lovely on a nice day. Also on the way back from the parks as it means you avoid the crush on the bus.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread