Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Oct 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Two NHS Tales - One Excellent One Dreadful

In late 2017 my Wife after previous shoulder issues sadly fell in the bath and wrecked her shoulder, torn rotator cuff, torn tendons etc.
We went to Spire and had all the tests done and some interim treatment.

Today my Wife went to NHS CAVOC (Cardiff and Vale Orthopaedic Centre) and had her operation.
This place is fairly new and like a factory. Consultants everywhere and operations going on non stop.
Full general anaesthetic at 1.30pm and discharged by 6.15pm with the op done.

The treatment was outstanding and was on a par with a private hospital.

However I need help from a local Dibber as I am now back to doing the ironing, making the bed and helping my Wife get her Virgin pyjamas on - what a load of tat they are.

As an aside who wears pyjamas!

The other side of the story. My nearly 3yr old Grandson has battled chest infections for over 18 months. Mums know best and my daughter has repeatedly crossed swords with the GP's who kept saying it was viral and wouldn't prescribe antibiotics.

In the end she got in to see a top Consultant in Notts and has been on a huge strength antibiotic for 6 months but to no avail.

So this poor lad has now been in Hospital for 8 days. Has had a line fitted that failed, three cannulas that failed and today he had a general anaesthetic and another line fitted. He has at least another 9 days in Hospital left.

He is being pumped full of antibiotics and is now seeing a slow improvement.

The staff in Notts are awesome, the Consultant is a total hero. The GP's - mmm.

Edited at 08:48 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hope your wife has an uneventful recovery from her surgery and your grandson is well again soon, poor little thing

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
We hope Jeanette’s operation is a success and that your grandson is soon on the mend.
Such a lot for a little one to go through.

Joan and Mick
Old 1 Oct 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Can sympathise with your wife - and for you! I suggest getting a steam generator for the ironing, almost makes ironing a pleasure - almost!

As for your grandson that is awful, but as you say it is the GP rather than the hospital. I think I would be putting in a complaint and then moving GP's if possible. I don't really like complaining about the NHS but there are too many stories around these days about GP's/A&E missing things like this and worse. Hope he gets well soon, he's in the best place and big hugs to you all with this worry xx
Old 1 Oct 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
We won't be complaining as I have enormous sympathy with GP's . They have 10 minutes max to make decisions that can when wrong haunt them for life.
My dear friend is a GP so I know the form.

But this reluctance to prescribe antibiotics has got nuts. Yes they are overused and yes they must be curtailed. But look at youngsters more intensively and if in doubt refer them on.

If that had been done the cost of this treatment in heartache, lung damage and NHS costs could all have been avoided.

I go back to my post. Mums know best!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:03 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Bless him poor mite, you just want to take the illness for them don't you. Hope they get to the bottom of his problem and get him fit and well, he should be running around playing not in a hospital bed.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Bless him poor mite, you just want to take the illness for them don't you. Hope they get to the bottom of his problem and get him fit and well, he should be running around playing not in a hospital bed.
All he has done today is eat ham sandwiches! He is addicted to them.

My Daughter is at breaking point with all his allergies as well and this on top. I don't know how she copes.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Old 1 Oct 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I know how you feel Tom sometimes a great experience sometimes the worst...
Hoping your wife recovers quickly and hope they get their act together quickly for your gorgeous grandson
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Sounds like your family are in the wars Tom, good that they have you to take care of them. Like so many the NHS has been hit and miss for a while but in general when you need them most they seem to come through so I try not to complain. I've sat with my GP recently while he googled my symptoms and then asked me what I thought the best course of action was. He then asked 3-4 times if I wanted signing off from work which I didn't but perhaps this is the default thing people ask for these days.
Old 1 Oct 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hope your wife is up and about again soon, a couple of people have mentioned those irons to me as well. Sound as though they make life a lot easier so worth considering.

ah it's awful seeing little one's suffering like this. At least he is getting what he needs now but a ridiculous length of time to wait 18 month's. All doctors are very reluctant to prescribe antibiotics. I've had similar experiences the past 6 month's myself, 4 month's wait to see a consultant so sadly the NHS is struggling now. It's not acceptable a GP leaving a little on so long, think I would consider moving surgery's once he is home and fit and well again. At least he isn't off his food, Hoping he is home fit and well very soon.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List