Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Nov 21, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Just to add the letter says it will be a two hour appointment. So I assume a scan?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Just to add the letter says it will be a two hour appointment. So I assume a scan?
At our local hosp they run a breast clinic and 2 hours would be a standard appointment. I don’t know a friend who hasn’t been referred at some point due to lumps, bumps and dimples. Fortunately only one had an outcome that turned out to be cancer. It is like a one stop shop - they start off having a feel then do mammogram and ultrasound and biopsy if necessary. It’s a bit like xfactor in reverse - you want to be thrown out at each stage ! I know the waiting will be awful but, as others have said, it could’ve been an unclear mammogram. If it does turn out to be something suspicious, you’d think the fact your mum can’t even feel it should indicate that it has been caught very early
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I had to go back for a biopsy last year. The cysts were so small that they actually were removed completely during the biopsy! They were also benign.

The no talc and deodorant are standard for any mammogram. My policy is not to worry unless there is a concrete reason to worry.
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I had to go last year and like others they did mammogram ultrasound and biopsy plus another mammogram after biopsy in one hit so it did take a couple of hours . I then had to wait for the biopsy results which took ages but that was because of a mistake at my hospital. Fingers crossed for your mum that it’s nothing untoward .
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

DW was recalled.

The initial image was not conclusive.

The subsequent image confirmed there was nothing found.

Between the first and second appt, was a very stressful time. The only way to handle it, is to say to yourself, if it is bad, then at least it's caught and they can do something about it.

💜

Disney332
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

As others have said, please try not to worry. Though that’s easier said than done. I’m forever at the breast clinic and it never gets any easier. I had a biopsy a couple of years ago because they’d spotted some calcification on a mammogram. So that might be another reason your mum might have been called back. The fact that she can’t feel a lump is good news.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I’m not sure if it’s the same across the country but when I go, it happens like this.

Meet consultant and discuss issue.
Then go for mammogram.
Then if needed, an ultrasound.
Then if needed, a biopsy. (I also had to wait for another biopsy as they didn’t have the right machine at the hospital I was at so was re-referred to a different hospital)
Then final meeting with consultant to discuss results.

All of this takes time which is why it says 2 hours.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

My sister in law was recalled a couple of years ago.
Was nothing, just needed a clearer image.
The wait from letter to appointment was very very stressfull.
I hope all is ok for your Mum. My friend had breast cancer and needed a mastectomy. She spoke to the consultant about her daughters as she was concerned about it being hereditory, but he said its not as common to run in families as people think (?) This is second hand info, and even if I had it scribed on a gold bar as actual fact it wouldnt help ease your mums worry. Look after her, and yourself xx
Old 1 Nov 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumps Mrs
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I was recalled last year - at our hosputal mammograms are reviewed by 3 Drs. If any one of them isn't sure you get a recall letter. Absolutely terrifying at the time but better to err on the side of caution.
I had the mammogram, then saw the consultant for an ultrasound she then put what looked like a corn plaster on the area she thought had created the anomaly (it was a post mature spot? ) before sending me back for another mammogram on that area. Luckily the repeat mammogram showed all clear. My letter stated 2 hours but I was out in around an hour. I'm sure they said around 90% of recalls turn out to be clear, although at that point I wasn't taking in much info - I just wanted to know one way or the other.
Grumps Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had a recall 3 years after my first routine mammogram (I was 48). They did an ultrasound & a biopsy and a week later I was told that I had cancer. If I remember correctly the paperwork that they gave me at the time stated that only 1in 20 people recalled are found to have cancer, statistics don’t help when you’re going through it though. Best wishes to your mum.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List