Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 22, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I had a tummy tuck 9 years ago, at a bupa hospital here. It was twice the price as I could have got it done abroad.
However I wouldnt have been able 3 days later when I came home ,to travel to an airport, sit there 2 or more hours , fly then travel from the airport home. Not to mention the chance of a dvt or any complications that can arise.
Throw a bit of covid into the mix as well.
No, tell her to pay and have it done at home
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
I had a tummy tuck 9 years ago, at a bupa hospital here. It was twice the price as I could have got it done abroad.
However I wouldnt have been able 3 days later when I came home ,to travel to an airport, sit there 2 or more hours , fly then travel from the airport home. Not to mention the chance of a dvt or any complications that can arise.
Throw a bit of covid into the mix as well.
No, tell her to pay and have it done at home
It's not for OP to tell her colleague not to go and have it done abroad. She has made her decision.

Having a tummy tuck is very different to having a gastric sleeve done via keyhole surgery. Many people are up and mobile within a few hours of having the operation, and are more than capable of travelling. I was just very very tired on the day I flew home from Egypt, but I managed fine just taking my time. With a tummy tuck, you have a very large wound, and sometimes can't even stand up straight if you get muscle repair at the same time, so I don't think we can really compare those two operations. And of course every individual is different and copes with recovery in many different ways.
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
[Minor rant alert] I volunteer with a charity who support Obese people find the right solution for them and this includes working with people post surgery who need support to address the emotional side of overeating.

Many of the surgeons who do this sort of thing work for the NHS (both UK and overseas trained medics). May do 7-8 months in the UK and then spend a couple of months off the payroll of the NHS in places like Turkey or Hungary.

As a previous person says, the aftercare is so important, not just the physical but the emotional as well. I have worked with people who will liquidise Big Macs, Chicken Nuggets and drink an extra large milkshake to get a kick so are still taking in 3000 - 4000 calories a day.

What really worries me about this is that it is seen as a cheap quick fix to many people, they have the op and a couple of weeks in the sun before coming home not realising that is where the hard work really starts and there are not enough free counsellors and psychologists to work with the increased numbers of people having these ops.

People need to factor in the cost of counselling in with the op and yes that may take the price up from £3K to £5K but that will be significantly cheaper in the UK - where you would probably still factor in the counselling if you have a half descent surgeon

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
A reputable private operator in the UK would also cover aftercare in its prices.
I had private surgery last year... whilst aftercare WAS included to a point, it was only for 2 dressing changes. I was advised to do all my dressing changes myself after the first one, and then see my practice nurse if needs be, to 'save' the 2nd appointment in case of an emergency!
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

I would also worry about the insurance side of things, but assume you can get adequate cover post surgery? There's a huge potential for things to go wrong, but if it's all covered, then happy days!
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had bariatric surgery (gastric bypass) in the UK 6 weeks ago, from doing research an awful lot of people do go to Turkey or Egypt for their procedures. Some places have a terrible reputation, others, are far more advanced than some private clinics in the UK and the price is very very good compared to the high price they charge in the UK for these sort of procedures. I was fortunate enough to have mine on the NHS (many many pre existing health conditions) But, if I wanted the surgery and didn't want to pay the cost in the UK, I would do my research and see no harm in it. Although, I did feel utterly **** on day 3-6 post op, there is no way I would have been able to fly home.

The only issues that may arise is after care. The NHS is under no obligation to do your check up bloods, or provide you with a prescription for any vitamins/B12 injections following surgery. I have seen so many people who have gone abroad for surgery and their GP has refused to fund these things after. The NHS do have to treat you at point of care in an emergency though.

If I was brave enough, and didn't have the conditions that I have, it is something I would have considered. At the end of the day, as an adult, you make your own choices regardless of what family/friends say. People are VERY judgemental when it comes to this sort of surgery. I have been very lucky that all my friends and family have been 100% behind me and knew why I was going through with it, my GP was brilliant throughout and the care I received was 2nd to none. I have had few negative comments, but it's not something everyone knows about as quite frankly, those who need to know, know and those that don't, it has nothing to do with them. Share your opinion, but no one has a right to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't be doing when it is none of their business. Express concern, show that you care and make sure they are getting the right treatment for what they want done (mentally & physically, because 80% of this procedure is mental over the physical affects of surgery! )

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024

Edited at 12:12 AM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stacy87 View Post
Not Turkey, but I had a gastric sleeve in Egypt by a wonderful surgeon. It was quite a strange experience, and I’m the last person on earth who would’ve gone abroad for surgery, but I had no viable options left.

As long as she has done her research on the surgeon, which I’m sure she has. These operations of course are big operations, but the majority of the time, they go well and recovery is actually pretty smooth! My personal experience was that I had no complications. Once I was discharged from the hospital after 2 nights, I chose to stay in a nearby hotel (which my surgeon recommended just incase any assistance was needed). On the evening I left the hospital I was struggling to keep any fluid down. I was being sick constantly. I got in touch with my surgeon and his team who got back to me within minutes, and it turned out my stomach just wasn’t keen on cold drinks that day! I switched to hot water and was absolutely fine from that day.

It’s such a big decision to make to have this kind of surgery, and a lot of people don’t agree with it, we always get comments from people who will say we took the easy way out. I had my sleeved in November 2020 and have lost almost 8 stone. It has been hard, no doubt. You still have to put in work to make the surgery successful. But I’d recommend it a million times to anyone who might be considering it. It has changed my life for the better, and I’m so grateful to my surgeon, who I am still in touch with 😊

Sorry that was quite long, but I just wanted to give my experience. I am in a support group on Facebook for those considering or who have had weight loss surgery, and there are so many who go abroad to wither Turkey or Egypt for their surgery.
Did you go to Dr Tamar? I can't spell his surname... his results & qualifications are incredible!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I know of a girl who went to Turkey for hers and had great success initially.
Her downfall, admittedly a good few years later was as Wobbles mentioned, the psychological aspect.

Her experience at the hospital was first rate and has happily recommended to many people.

Regardless of whether someone gets surgery abroad, here privately or on the NHS, the relationship with food must change to have long lasting success.

Edit: Of course the banner ad on this thread is Noom

Edited at 12:54 AM.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

Thank you for all your replies and experiences, just put the record straight I was in no way trying to talk my colleague out of this ,she just sprung it on me out of the blue as I was finishing shift on Saturday, i was a bit taken aback as she was only 22 never talk about bariatric surgery before, my concerns for her are her well-being whilst over there and obviously her travel and recovery back here as she seems to think she's going to be back at work in a few weeks.
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Did you go to Dr Tamar? I can't spell his surname... his results & qualifications are incredible!
I did, yes! He is so lovely. He’s like a celebrity over there too 😊
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List