Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Sep 18, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Chris7cc
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

I am exspecting a massive shock as the last twice I have been to the states the exchange rate was closer to 1.90.

We have done onsite with DDP not so much becuse of the cost if tickets and food and more so because I have heard of so many bad experances regarding exspectation of tips (the fact 10%/12% is no longer good enough) and how much extra this is adding

I have always had a huge problem of exspected tips but when I could leave $15 and they would be greatful (only costing me £8) I could live with it but I have huge problems is somone exspecting almost £20 from me
Chris7cc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RubyLovesUSA View Post
Ditto, I could have written that! We've been going since 1989 when we went for £289 each...! This year was noticibly more expensive for food & shopping and looking at next years early holiday prices I can't even come close to the price we paid for going this year. We are also looking further afield instead of Orlando now.
I warn a lot of people on the shopping thread abut things like trainers been cheaper in the UK, we went to the Malls last year and didn't buy a thing and this year we are not even bothering. I've checked on the meal prices at City Walk and they are comparable with our Local "Gastro" pub (don't get me going on the Gastro bit what is wrong with old school meals in a basket). Like a lot of people that have commented on this thread we have noticed things gradually increase over the last 20 years
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Like has been said before, the exchange rate isn't so much the issue...the cost of living in Orlando has gone up so the prices in the tourist area have followed.
Old 6 Sep 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We went to New York and Las Vegas last month and it was so expensive in those places too. An average pint in NY was $8 (plus tax and tip), we paid $18 for a can of beer at a stadium and $27 for a cup of wine in the theatre. Happy hour in LV was $6 for a bottle of beer and a beer in the Cheesecake Factory was $9. We did find a nice little bar that did 3 cocktails or 3 glasses of wine for $10, we went there several times!

Meals out were expensive too. We definitely found that checking menus in advance, choosing places when they had their 'specials' on and eating at a mixture of quick service and sit down places helped the budget. I would have happily ate at Panda Express every day but the family disagreed with my plan

Has anyone found anywhere that doesn't seem expensive now? I don't think it's all due to the exchange rate, I think US prices are just going up.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have been to many other places in the USA, both East and West Coast. I have now stayed in most of the Florida Cities between Pensacola and Daytona Beach via Key West. I have just researched and booked Boston down to NY, out to Dayton.

I still find Villa and condo rental costs lower in Orlando than anywhere else by a significant margin.
I still find eating costs outside of the Theme Parks lower than those other locations, likewise groceries.

Possibly due to intense competition and excess capacity of accommodation and also so many options re eating out, Florida imho still represents the cheapest holiday location in the USA.

I have also visited several locations in Western Europe (not Eastern) and the costs over there have skyrocketed likewise.

For me, Orlando still represents excellent (although no longer cheap) value. I do not eat a great deal in the Theme Park and associated areas, live mainly in Villa accommodation and avoid Disney other than downtown, maybe just the once. I am not picky re which airlines I will or will not fly with, looking at every single one of them. I am not 'precious' to my own local airport and no where else (probably just as well as it is Newquay).
In pricing up or buying into most of next summer already, Orlando has been cheap compared with Boston, NY and Dayton. Just not quite as cheap as before.

Whilst things have been good, we should not expect the businesses of Orlando to just give everything to us. Just imagine how Americans find prices when they visit Western Europe.

(Puts on hard hat and ducks below trench parapet).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:08 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jokeybhoy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

A good plan for saving money,which I plan on using myself next month,is to buy breakfast and snack stuff at supermarket.Also have a few fast food days for dinner,like pizza or burger place.Eating out for a family is really expensive no matter where you are
Jokeybhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

I've budgeted $200 per day for 2 adults and I'm worried it isn't enough- we have dining plan plus $400 gift card to cover most of the tips but we still have 3 offsite meals, drinks, ubers before we even think about shopping- we have Victoria and Albert's planned too but I'm hoping we can save a bit extra to cover that as that's a serious dent in the spends

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

I think so too! I’ve been going since 1999 with parents but our first family trip was 2016. We came back last month and I noticed a huge increase in prices. Particularly in the parks. We stay offsite as it suits us more. I’ve worked out that doing either we’d spend the same as we couldn’t eat all the credits. Off site restaurants were not much different though. Will be going 2021 so best start saving.
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blades View Post
I warn a lot of people on the shopping thread abut things like trainers been cheaper in the UK, we went to the Malls last year and didn't buy a thing and this year we are not even bothering. I've checked on the meal prices at City Walk and they are comparable with our Local "Gastro" pub (don't get me going on the Gastro bit what is wrong with old school meals in a basket). Like a lot of people that have commented on this thread we have noticed things gradually increase over the last 20 years
We didn’t shop that much this time. Things were on par price wise unless there was something specific I wanted that we couldn’t get at home.
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nicki2014 View Post
I've budgeted $200 per day for 2 adults and I'm worried it isn't enough- we have dining plan plus $400 gift card to cover most of the tips but we still have 3 offsite meals, drinks, ubers before we even think about shopping- we have Victoria and Albert's planned too but I'm hoping we can save a bit extra to cover that as that's a serious dent in the spends
You’ll be fine. We managed last month $150 per day 2 adults 2 children offsite with not much shopping.