Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Ashcole
Getting Excited

I’m really upset to find out this way, shame on Virgin. I have actually cried tonight as this is all that was keeping me going, looking forward to my 50th birthday holiday in Florida and celebrating the end of my husbands cancer treatment. I don’t really want to have to travel to Manchester or London and pay the extra expense this will entail. I will really have to think long and hard about flying with Virgin again. I really feel for everyone else in the same boat.
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

What with India and ≈≈≈≈stan now off the list, now this, you do think if Virgin don’t get up and running from the UK soon it can’t look good.

Unless they are pulling the planes maybe to put more on from elsewhere (would they even get spare slots?).

Maybe they are not getting many bookings in Scotland?

Will be interesting to hear the logic of this.

Feel for people suffering again and shoddy Virgin haven’t contacted customers.

Edited at 09:45 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I know I’m feeling pretty down. I blame all the doom-mongering about international travel from Scotland. I mean it’s only April for crying out loud. How can they possibly know what the situation will be in the autumn .

What’s annoying me most is we have no other options for direct than to hold off for 2022 or go with Tui who don’t even fly into Orlando. Plus we had actually bought miles during a miles boost to book our original 2020 flights. I really feel like I should get that refunded too!
If we can travel from down south I’m going to do it , we usually go ba from Glasgow / LGw anyway but just booked virgin because of the masks as dreading wearing one for so long , but can’t deal with the thought if no holiday this year again after two cancelled last year ! It’s not ideal but I will do it anyway , I’ve read on fb groups people have been told full refund , I hope they do the decent thing and give you a refund for the points too xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
What with India and ≈≈≈≈stan now off the list, now this, you do think if Virgin don’t get up and running from the UK soon it can’t look good.

Unless they are pulling the planes maybe to put more on from elsewhere (would they even get spare slots?).

There hasn’t been a lot of availability from Glasgow for sometime, I have been checking for a while and a lot of dates have been full , they changed the aircraft and times a few weeks ago which was obviously now just a complete waste of time ! xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
If we can travel from down south I’m going to do it , we usually go ba from Glasgow / LGw anyway but just booked virgin because of the masks as dreading wearing one for so long , but can’t deal with the thought if no holiday this year again after two cancelled last year ! It’s not ideal but I will do it anyway , I’ve read on fb groups people have been told full refund , I hope they do the decent thing and give you a refund for the points too xxx
Thanks but I doubt they will. They’ll come up with some excuse.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to have to fork out for flights to London and then end up having to move it to next year anyway. But then everything is so much more expensive for next year.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by newstewart View Post
This is our 3rd cancelled flight. Doomed never to see Orlando again.
We only paid £400 pp direct from Glasgow so no chance of bagging alternative flights for similar cost. Are they obligated to offer alternative flights, if so would consider Manchester
It’s our third trip cancelled too , both our 60th birthday celebrations last year so we decided to take our sons with us as it is our 40th anniversary this year and we felt we all needed something to look forward to after this last year , so had enough of it all , get the vaccine they said ?
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Thanks but I doubt they will. They’ll come up with some excuse.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to have to fork out for flights to London and then end up having to move it to next year anyway. But then everything is so much more expensive for next year.
I know Lisa , I’ve just been checking and my dates are at least £1000 more from London or Manchester and we still have to get there too, I’m going to try call them tomorrow when I have spoke to my sons to see what they want to do , I just can’t bear to not have something to hold on to but I really don’t know what it will do to me if that ended up cancelled too ! What I fo know though us that I will not be voting snp 😂
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

Gutted as we were booked for late august and didn’t see this coming. I was half expecting them to reduce to 1 flight a week but not to scrap the whole lot, espech as they are the only direct flights.

Mexico07 what on earth has this got to do with the SNP or sturgeon? Please don’t use your bias to somehow try and twist this clear business decision made by VIRGIN into a go at the snp. Your better than that.

Edited at 10:16 PM.
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Northwich
Dancing with Tink'

While I don’t have the official reason, one reason could be that the US isn’t due to open to the U.K. until June 28th at the earliest, possibly on or around 4th July according to sources.

The Scottish school holidays start June 25th, and this will be where Virgin will make the bulk of the money on the Glasgow route. Thus, it could have been cutting it too fine to operate in that ‘peak season’ and Virgin maybe had to bite the bullet and decide whether to operate or not.

It’s incredibly frustrating for all, and I genuinely feel for anyone affected by this. But after the year travel has had, every penny counts going forward as many travel companies and airlines are on ‘life support’. If there is any indication routes won’t break even/make a profit, they are going to be pulled. This is still a fight for survival, and brutal decisions are going to have to be made.

Edited at 10:36 PM.
Northwich is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
coinneach
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post

I believe Virgin only fly from Glasgow during the school holiday period?
Sturgeon announced the other day that we can't expect international travel to open again up here from May 17, as expected to down south.
With that uncertainty, it makes sense that Virgin pull out and use their planes elsewhere.
coinneach is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List