Old 17 Nov 21, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Ok so first post in awhile.

First off, unfortunately we’ve had to make big changes that I didn’t want to make

The California dream is no more Not something I wanted but had to make the hard decision to cancel that part. There are a few reasons. I’ll be completely honest.

First is a financial one, 8/9 months off work during Covid really has dented things. I could swing it but I’d be putting myself under too much pressure. Added to that extra costs of Genie+ that I’d feel we’d need to get on a one off trip has made it all a bit silly.

Other big reasons are that I’m not sure we’d be able to do everything we wanted to do because of the vaccination rules in LA County. We didn’t want to go to LA with certain areas and shops with the girls only being allowed to go in with recent negative tests that we’d have to do while there. They have to be proper tests. We just can’t be doing with that on holiday. We want to be able to do everything we want properly without restriction. Orange County where Disneyland is fine but not where the other things we planned to go are. All these rules well may change but I don’t want to spend the next 6 months worrying about them and it being to late to change anything if they don’t change.

My other concern was hotel. I have spent months trying to choose one! I couldn’t swing a Disneyland resort hotel and I just wasn’t 100% sold on the places we chose. Why stay somewhere your not sure about? I see positive reviews and then see 2 more negative ones.

Last reason was the internal flight. I picked the wrong one, I could change it yes, but just another factor. Why I picked a 6.30am flight Thinking about getting the car back, shuttle bus from car hire at 4am just didn’t feel right.

As much as it’s my all time top bucket list item I think there is to many concerns with going to Disneyland. I’m gutted but think I’m being sensible. We’ve already said that maybe in a few years we will do a dedicated California trip which I think is more sensible.

I’m very sorry to those reading that have offered their advice or to those following that were planning on doing something similar. At end of the day the holiday isn’t meant to be something you spend loads of time worrying about.

So it’s just Florida now but now 22 nights. And if I’m being totally honest I feel quite relieved. I changed the flights yesterday so instead of flying to LA from Heathrow, we have changed it to flying from Gatwick to Tampa which is also incredibly so much easier for us as we live 15 minutes away from Gatwick. The cost was surprisingly minimal and it’s only cost us an extra £200 to change from LA to Tampa. I think it’s more to do with the return flights that we already have booked and haven’t been changed. The only annoying thing is is I have to go to MCO six days into the holiday to switch the car but at the end of the day it’s no big deal. So we have six extra nights to plan in Orlando. I’m not hundred percent sure what we’ll be doing with those yet but I will update that soon.

Thanks for reading and apologies again for the changes.

George

Edited at 08:24 AM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi George
Really sorry to hear this but sounds like lots of really good reasons. We did our first stand alone trip to California a few years ago and have been back since to just Disneyland - I think it will be amazing for you to enjoy it one day as a stand alone trip as there is so much there - Magic Mountain, Warner Bros Tour, Universal - and that's just LA! Easily a 3 week holiday! You sound more relaxed now it is Florida where you know and love - and filling 6 extra nights will not be a problem I'm sure I think the return to travel should be as simple as possible after the last few years so hopefully planning WDW will be a lot less stressful for you. Look forward to hearing more about your plans
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Sorry to read that George, but also happy that you're happy with the changes you've made.

For some reason I've been procrastinating on booking our similar trip, for no good reason. Virgin still have upgraded rewards flight availability into LA and back out of New York (we were planning on a 3-centre Cali - Orlando - NYC trip) but I need to pick up the phone to make the bookings due to some vouchers we want to apply to the booking.

The LA county situation is something that would impact us too, as Bozza jnr will be 12 then and, presumably, just single-jabbed (he's 12 at the end of April so currently can't get his first shot until then). Like you say - it may change by then, but maybe it won't, and that would need some planning around and/or missing things we want to see.

Happy planning!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Sorry to read you’ve had to cancel California- we are planning on West Coast and East Coast over 4 weeks next November for my husbands 40th and we keep having the same doubts and going back and forth, everything is so expensive and we are worrying we wont save enough spends, we cant find a hotel we are happy with in Anaheim in budget, worried about what vaccine requirements will be (had both but could change and need a booster), nervous about flight prices

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Hi George
Really sorry to hear this but sounds like lots of really good reasons. We did our first stand alone trip to California a few years ago and have been back since to just Disneyland - I think it will be amazing for you to enjoy it one day as a stand alone trip as there is so much there - Magic Mountain, Warner Bros Tour, Universal - and that's just LA! Easily a 3 week holiday! You sound more relaxed now it is Florida where you know and love - and filling 6 extra nights will not be a problem I'm sure I think the return to travel should be as simple as possible after the last few years so hopefully planning WDW will be a lot less stressful for you. Look forward to hearing more about your plans
Thank you. I think a standalone trip will be a better fit. Will update the plans soon

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Sorry to read that George, but also happy that you're happy with the changes you've made.

For some reason I've been procrastinating on booking our similar trip, for no good reason. Virgin still have upgraded rewards flight availability into LA and back out of New York (we were planning on a 3-centre Cali - Orlando - NYC trip) but I need to pick up the phone to make the bookings due to some vouchers we want to apply to the booking.

The LA county situation is something that would impact us too, as Bozza jnr will be 12 then and, presumably, just single-jabbed (he's 12 at the end of April so currently can't get his first shot until then). Like you say - it may change by then, but maybe it won't, and that would need some planning around and/or missing things we want to see.

Happy planning!
Thank you. I just wasn't happy with the risk of not being able to do what I hope we were able to. I feel happy with the decision

Originally Posted by princessnicki View Post
Sorry to read you’ve had to cancel California- we are planning on West Coast and East Coast over 4 weeks next November for my husbands 40th and we keep having the same doubts and going back and forth, everything is so expensive and we are worrying we wont save enough spends, we cant find a hotel we are happy with in Anaheim in budget, worried about what vaccine requirements will be (had both but could change and need a booster), nervous about flight prices
It sounds very similar to my uncertainties! Difficult to make a decision in today's climate. Hopefully things will be a lot clearer for you for November.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Sorry to read you've had to cancel California George but laying out the reasons it seems like the best decision. I am sure the trip will still be amazing and as you say it just gives you the chance to book a dedicated California trip x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

Just spotted your update, such a shame you’ve decided to change plans but it does sound like the right decision, all things considered, and it’ll hopefully make for a more relaxing trip to Florida with those extra days to play with.

Good luck with planning spreadsheet #5,976
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
While it's a shame you aren't doing your dream trip, perhaps now you'll enjoy the planning and build up a bit more as you won't be worrying about things going wrong and the COVID situation in Cali.

Have fun figuring out what hotels to book in Orlando.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Sorry to read you've had to cancel California George but laying out the reasons it seems like the best decision. I am sure the trip will still be amazing and as you say it just gives you the chance to book a dedicated California trip x
Thank you. After working things out, cancelling, Disney tickets, hotel, internal flights, Hollywood tour, Genie + and allowing for a hotel in Orlando I think I’ll be saving around £2000 so I definitely feel happier

Originally Posted by SuziQz View Post
Just spotted your update, such a shame you’ve decided to change plans but it does sound like the right decision, all things considered, and it’ll hopefully make for a more relaxing trip to Florida with those extra days to play with.

Good luck with planning spreadsheet #5,976
Thank you. It will definitely hopefully be a bit more relaxing. I’m not sure yet what we will be doing but we have free tickets to Busch Gardens that we will use. I’ll make a plan over the next few days
Old 18 Nov 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
While it's a shame you aren't doing your dream trip, perhaps now you'll enjoy the planning and build up a bit more as you won't be worrying about things going wrong and the COVID situation in Cali.

Have fun figuring out what hotels to book in Orlando.
Thank you. If I’m being honest I haven’t looked at any planning for ages so pleased to back to it.