Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 17 Nov 21, 05:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Dinner was downstairs tonight in the new Steakhouse ‘71. We were big fans of The Wave and curious to see if it lived up to the hype.

It was nice to see David still in charge and he was very pleased to see fellow Brits were now returning.

We started with cocktails

Our server Benjamin explained the menu and made some recommendations - we chose

Bacon & Egg

Crab cakes

Both starters absolutely delicious.

David stopped by for a chat in between courses, he’s had quite a bit of input into the ‘71 interior design and concept and was pleased he’d made the place brighter. It is quite an improvement on The Wave imho.

For mains I had the 14oz pork chop (medium) with au gratin and sauce au poivre

And P the 8oz filet medallion with Mac n cheese and mushroom sauce.

I thought mine was really nice, P’s knocking half a mark off hers because the steak seasoning was a little too herby. Purely personal choice - I liked it that way. She did comment though that the steak was very tender, cooked perfectly and the Mac & cheese was good.

Benjamin cleared the plates and announced a welcome back gift was now on its way - David very kindly comped us a slice of the 15 layer whisky infused chocolate cake.

and yeah it tastes as good as it looks

Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

That meal looks good. Nice to get the welcome back gift too, are you recognising many British accents back in Orlando or are you feeling like the first British invaders?
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

71 looks good but have prices gone up, seems very pricey at over $200 incl tip. We had a similar meal in Miller and Carter at the weekend, always have their top double 5oz 50 day aged fillets (very good so 10oz of fillet) my wife has the chicken and with 2 cocktails, wine etc it was £75. Not Disney I know but this is roughly double. Last time I went didn’t seem so expensive (2019).
Was bacon and eggs as good as ever, that is a favourite?
Good to see the DVC 10% was still in play.
Edit, I see you got a bottle of wine and $15 () for a bottle of Evian, so prices seem on a par with Miller and Carter (starters more expensive and I’ll pass on the Evian) which isn’t bad.

Edited at 09:27 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We rarely eat on site any more but 71 was one of the places we want to try, even more so now that I've seen your review - and the cake looks amazing

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
That meal looks good. Nice to get the welcome back gift too, are you recognising many British accents back in Orlando or are you feeling like the first British invaders?
I wouldn’t say many at the moment but there’s definitely a few to be heard in the restaurants and ride lines
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
71 looks good but have prices gone up, seems very pricey at over $200 incl tip. We had a similar meal in Miller and Carter at the weekend, always have their top double 5oz 50 day aged fillets (very good so 10oz of fillet) my wife has the chicken and with 2 cocktails, wine etc it was £75. Not Disney I know but this is roughly double. Last time I went didn’t seem so expensive (2019).
Was bacon and eggs as good as ever, that is a favourite?
Good to see the DVC 10% was still in play.
Edit, I see you got a bottle of wine and $15 () for a bottle of Evian, so prices seem on a par with Miller and Carter (starters more expensive and I’ll pass on the Evian) which isn’t bad.
P had the bacon and eggs and cleared the plate so it looks to be as good as ever. The Evian was $7 - I had one for dinner and one to take up to the room because we hadn’t been shopping yet and one thing I quickly realised I hadn’t been missing in our two year absence was bloody Dasani water.

I need to try Miller and Carter we’ve had one within five minutes walk of the house for three years and not got there yet
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
We rarely eat on site any more but 71 was one of the places we want to try, even more so now that I've seen your review - and the cake looks amazing
Ohhh that cake is good, wonderfully moist with a hint of scotch and good quality chocolate flavour. We had half at the table and half yesterday with an afternoon brew
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
P said it’s slightly drier than the average Riesling and we find that better than the sweeter German versions. It’s a very pleasant wine, so nice we had a bottle with dinner at ‘71 last night - I found these tasting notes online and I think they’re spot on.

Any more questions please ask away and if we see a bottle on our travels around the liquor stores I’ll grab one and do my best to get it home in one piece for you.
That sounds right up his street! Please thank P (as well as you, obviously!)

I couldn’t possibly ask you to bring a bottle back but that’s so kind of you to offer!
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Your meal at 71 looks really, really good. From the delicious sounding cocktails to all of the food!

Is the bar area still inviting? It was one of our favourite places to sit at a bar previously.
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
That sounds right up his street! Please thank P (as well as you, obviously!)

I couldn’t possibly ask you to bring a bottle back but that’s so kind of you to offer!
She said no worries and if we can find one outside a restaurant , resist the temptation to drink it and it fits in we’ll bring it.