Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 8 Nov 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Doctor Who Flux

Anyone else watching the new series of Doctor Who?

The last couple of series have been a bit hit and miss and sometimes boring, but suddenly Chris Chibnall seems to have shifted into a different gear and given us a couple of cracking episodes so far. There are still lots of questions and weird stuff that hasn't been explained like who are Swarm and Azure and how do they know the Doctor, who was that Victorian chap and why was he digging under Liverpool, who was the woman who seemed to know the Doctor but then got zapped into the past by the Weeping Angel, what the heck is the Flux, etc. But the action seems to be constant and, dare I say it, Doctor Who has become fun again.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Definitely more of an arc this season.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Yeh enjoying this more than the last two preachy series
Old 12 Nov 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I’m enjoying it. Both episodes so far have kept me gripped as it’s so many stories in 1.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Enjoyed the first two but this was all over the place. I get the concept that she was in time but I found it very hard to watch.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Enjoyed the first two but this was all over the place. I get the concept that she was in time but I found it very hard to watch.
Agree - can someone explain to me in plain English what that episode was all about. Timey wimey gobbledygook

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I thought I was tripping out last night. I think it explained how she trapped them 2 originally and she saw the past version of the doctor and everything brought them back to the present time frame.

Edited at 08:30 AM.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

We have watched the first two and one of our party bailed about half way through the second episode. I’m tempted to do the same but holding on as it was our only family time! The second episode was a bit better than the first but not sure I’m going to enjoy the series.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Yeah, I have to agree that the third episode was a bit of a head scratcher at times. It feels like Chris C is deliberately trying to confuse us all. I'm still enjoying it though, even if this week's epsiode was a bit messy.

Originally Posted by vanlou View Post
Agree - can someone explain to me in plain English what that episode was all about. Timey wimey gobbledygook
Right here goes (deep breath)...

The Doctor dragged Dan onto those pedestals where Yaz and Vinder (new guy) were already. When bad guy Swarm clicked his fingers he sent the full force of the timestream through them but the Doctor absorbed most of it. They were all sent into the timestream, experiencing moments from their past (or perhaps future?) but those moments were somewhat corrupted and altered, because the timestream is all going a bit wibbly-wobbly.

Dan went back to when he was in Liverpool and met up with his friend Diane (Di). Things kept skipping forward to different places until Di was captured by Azure and trapped in the Passenger (as seen in the first episode). The Doctor tries to tell Dan what's going on and to tell him to stay where he is because he should be safe where he is until she can sort out the timestream.

Yaz went back to her police days, and then to her home with her sister. But Weeping Angels kept trying to get to her, appearing in mirrors and on screens. The Doctor also visits her telling her what's going on and to hold on for a while whilst she sorts things out.

Vinder relives his past where he was promoted to the assistant to the Grand Serpent (head honcho wherever Vinder lives). Unfortunately, this Grand Serpent dude is a bit of a evil bloke and, during a deal with some visitors, asked them to kill some of his rivals "off the record". Vinder reported this to his superior but that resulted in him being demoted and sent to some distant outpost as punishment (that's where he witnesses the Flux back in episode 1). We also see him send a message back to a loved one.

Meanwhile, the Doctor goes back to her very distant past where she was part of the Division - the time in her past that she can't remember (and that we, as viewers, have never seen before and never knew existed until the last series). She's with a team of other Division members, who the Doc sees as her companions but that's not actually who they are (again, a feature of the wobbly timestream) and one of them was the dog-like Karvanista. She relives storming the Temple of Atropos on the planet Time to confront the earlier Swarm and rescue the priests who control the flow of time. They defeat the early Swarm, who was captured and held prisoner forever more (but who then escapes, as shown in the first episode of this series). That was all from the Doc's past.

Somehow, in conversation with the priests during this little trip into her timestream, the Doctor manages to set up things to rescue her friends in the present. Something to do with getting additional priests into Passenger and using them? Not sure. That bit was a bit vague.

Anyway, the Doc, Yaz, Dan and Vinder find themselves back in the present and escape the pedestals, where some replacement priests are installed there instead (somehow!). The time stream is back to working as before. However, the temporary disruption is exactly what Swarm and Azure needed/wanted and they now have those flying blue thingies. They also have Di, Dan's friend, as a hostage. They escape. The Doctor and companions go to the Tardis to take Vinder back to his homeworld.

During all this the Doctor becomes aware that she may have had something to do with the Flux but we've not been given any details yet. Also the Doctor met some mysterious old woman who we don't know yet.

Finally, we've also been following a young woman who has survived the Flux and is now running from location to location, looking for a loved one, whilst avoiding Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans - who seem to be taking advantage of the Flux's devastation. We later discover she's Vinder's wife/girlfriend and she's pregnant with his child. The two are now trying to find one another.

The episode ends with one of the Weeping Angels escaping from Yaz's phone and trying to take control of the Tardis... Eek!

Or, at least, that's what I remember. Some areas are a bit vague and I may have some bits wrong.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:11 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Me too - I watched all 3 today and found myself drifting off. Not working for me - reminded me of Blakes 7 rather than Dr Who.. over I would give it a D+ report - ,use try harder.

Roll on new inventive & fun writing
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List