Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Jan 22, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Villas and toddlers

To most this is going to sound like the most ridiculous question! But as I'm a first-time mum, every stage is new to me and needs figuring out!

Our daughter will be just two when we travel to Florida at the end of April. She's currently still in a cot as she hasn't yet tried to climb out (touch wood) and I'm reluctant to transfer her to a bed until we actually need to (making the most of her not being able to get up and wander around). We'll be staying in a villa and obviously she will have to stay in a bed - what do you guys with toddlers do? I was thinking of ordering bed guards and a safety gate in Walmart and collecting it on the way to the villa and popping her in a single bed in the twin bedroom and then putting the safety gate on the door so if she did get up she can't get to the stairs, etc. However, she does still roll around her cot a lot and can wake up in the opposite direction to where she fell asleep, so still a chance she could come rolling off the end...

Any experiences welcome in case I'm missing a trick! And any other toddler advice for Florida!
MrsB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

On a caravan holiday when DD was 2 we took a travel bed guard with us but she ended up in the middle of our bed for the entire holiday 🤣 in fact.. this still happens now 🤣
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

A lot of villas have bed guards and door gates so that's worth checking. I would try her with one before you go if possible. They do fall out of bed occasionally but mine never hurt themselves and occasionally it didn't even wake them.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

Personally though if your still using a cot at home then I would use a cot for her in the villa.
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We have a travel cot door guard bed guards a high chair , single and double strollers toddler friendly crockery and cutlery
Check with the villa owner first
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have two travel cots, a bed guard, stair gate, 2 buggies, 2 high chairs, steriliser, spoons and dishes. I think it's the norm for villas to be honest.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smi
Excited about Disney

We went when my son was 3 and took an inflatable bed guard that went under the sheet. This worked really well especially in the hotels beds that are really high.
smi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

If you want a proper cot as apposed to a travel cot then there are hire companies. I would suggest you don't do the transfer from cot to bed on holiday. Too much change as well as jet lag issues may make it difficult and traumatic.

When are children where little we sometimes made a nursery in a cot in a small dressing room/closet off our bedroom. They were close enough but not in the room, it worked well.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
As the other 2 owners have said a lot of villas cater for young ones and supply a lot of the things you would need, we also have high chairs, travel cot's, strollers, baby monitor's, stair gates and even an inflatable toddler bed, if you have rented a private villa ask the owner if they have any of the items you mat require before you go spending money on stuff that is already there.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Thanks everyone - I'll definitely check with the villa and I had actually seen an inflatable bed guard that did look good. I might be tempted to try her in bed before we go to see. I don't think it would be worth messing around hiring a cot, etc. as we would need a full size one and probably not easily available. She's definitely far too big for a travel cot though!
MrsB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List