Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sweetums View Post
We got our rejection just before we went away. apparently because we are responsible, and stop him from endangering himself or others we had ours rejected. apparently if you put things in place to prevent this, you can't get a badge.
I now know of a few people who are encountering this as well as others with hidden disabilities who are being flatly rejected.

It makes me so cross, when it was 'publicised' that the blue badge scheme would be open to hidden disabilities at that time I thought it would end in disappointment for some. When the consultation period was opened I (and some of my friends who have relatives/friends with hidden disabilities) suggested an alternative scheme, ie keep it separate from the blue badge scheme but perhaps give another 'colour' so you keep the blue badge and this new scheme separate, both have dedicated parking bays and both have dedicated badges. Maybe it's too complicated but the current system was set up to fail when being introduced to hidden disabilities as it was just a case of being open to those with hidden disabilities to 'apply', some councils are taking a harder line than others.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this, as I hadn't realised things had changed. I applied for a blue badge on Thursday, (with little hope but thought it was worth a shot) and heard today that it's been approved! This was through the gov website.

It'll be such a help, thank you
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 04:52 AM  
Link to this Post
chris123armit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by VicStar View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for posting this, as I hadn't realised things had changed. I applied for a blue badge on Thursday, (with little hope but thought it was worth a shot) and heard today that it's been approved! This was through the gov website.

It'll be such a help, thank you

Great to hear your good news!
Know lots of people who are struggling to get these... appeal, fight go to your MP...it’s worth a try!
Our blue badge has made a huge difference to getting our DS out & about safely... def eased both our anxiety!
Now to apply for a tag for Florida... fingers crossed 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

I feel quite bad that others are waiting so long to receive.
I applied through the gov.uk site on a Saturday, and received notification that my badge was ordered and expected to be received within 10 working days only 2 hours later.
I was more surprised they were working weekends than I was that they accepted it, my friends application had taken weeks and was then refused. Although she couldn’t provide letters to help her case and was relying on GP’s. Whereas I have an amazing consultant who copies me into every letter and details my condition thoroughly which I think helps.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Maryj
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

My 17 year old has a diagnosis of ASD and has 10 points on his PIP award for mobility.
I applied for a blue badge and the LA are saying the PIP award does not have the descriptor ‘cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress for the claimant’, if this was the case he would never go out, so what would be the point of a blue badge. As it is, he can go places if he is taken there, he has taxi transport to college but does not have the cognitive ability to go anywhere, other than the local shops alone.
What the LA are saying seems to be at odds with the government.
Maryj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Those of you that are struggling to get the badge, what sort of evidence are you uploading?
Surely with a diagnosis letter from either GP or Consultant, the LA’s shouldn’t be refusing, as someone else said it’s against government guidance.
Maryj - I was told by my PIP assessor that the blue badge and mobility element are no longer linked as they used to be, and still can be rejected by a LA, which seems strange to me! Apparently the onus is on the statement that higher level score on mobility ‘could’ automatically make you eligible for blue badge.
I hope it all works out for those of you struggling.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Take this for what it's worth, knowing friends (and a relative) who have applied but refused, it is only the process of applying for a blue badge that has been opened up to those with hidden disabilities, it's up to each council how they interpret the guidelines (note the word guidelines). It's the same for physical conditions, you can apply but may not necessarily get a badge. I've also heard about so called quotas but I've nothing firm to back that up.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clare View Post
Take this for what it's worth, knowing friends (and a relative) who have applied but refused, it is only the process of applying for a blue badge that has been opened up to those with hidden disabilities, it's up to each council how they interpret the guidelines (note the word guidelines). It's the same for physical conditions, you can apply but may not necessarily get a badge. I've also heard about so called quotas but I've nothing firm to back that up.
My friend used to work issuing blue badges. They definitely used to have quotas so if you applied closer to end of the financial year (March) then if you were on the boarder points wise you were more likely to get it than not. That said you still have to reach a set number of points (15).