Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 Oct 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Only just spotted that you have started your food report.
Your meal at Glasgow the night before you flew looked good.
The Wave breakfast looks fab, I heard those sweet potato pancakes were amazing. In my head I’m now wondering if I can fit this in to our trip anywhere...
Mama Melrose, imagine having to persuade the other 2 to have a starter. 😂 shame your flat bread was not great. Your mums pasta looks nice, my Dh agrees with you that the steak there is great and that will be his Christmas dinner this year. I was going to have the tiramisu but I might rethink that.
What a shame that your visit to landscapes of flavours did not go well. That’s one of my favourite food courts and the create your own pasta there is always really good.

Thanks for taking the time to post. It’s really helpful. x
Old 21 Oct 18, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
great start, I'm not sure we'd like Chicken Guy. Do love a chicken tender but not a Guy Fieri fan. Mama Melrose always starts on our list then gets cut (along with Biergarten) but the photos always look so good so it makes no sense that we drop it! Looking forward to more
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
I love reading your food reports Collette and what a great start as always.

I think the seasoning makes all the difference on Nik’s breakfast! Great to know about being able to pay on the app there as I find getting the bill often frustrating in places like F&Bs.

The Chicken Guy meal looks nice so I was a little sad to read you were disappointed with the taste. I love the fact having your mum with you stopped you tasting all 22 dips – you should have told her you were doing it as a public service for readers of the Dibb.

The Wave breakfasts always look good when I see them in peoples reports – we usually only have QSDP and just book a couple of TS meals - maybe one day I’ll get to sample it. Same with Mama Melrose – especially the steak and that Chocolate and Cherry Tort – I cant believe you didn’t order one if its your favourite. That's definitely dedication to the trip report.

Poor you at AOA – it does sound a very stressful meal.

Diane
Hi Diane!

Nik will be pleased you agree

I think we might have to return to Chicken Guy in the future just to try all 22 dips, it would be a fun little experiment.

I thought The Wave breakfast was excellent value, you should treat yourself to it, maybe on the first day when you're up nice and early like we were. Definitely look into Mama Melrose too, maybe with the F! package!? I think that's relatively good value and the seats for the show are excellent.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I am so sorry but I am totally laughing out loud at this:

This sounds so much like me, my hubby and my Mum, if we were ever to go on holiday together, which we wouldn't because we can't be in each other's company for more than 5 minutes without wanting to kill each other

I'm so sorry the day ended this way. It does sound like it spiralled totally out of control and, like you say, you probably should have stuck with the original plan. We all have episodes like this, hopefully you could get past it and move on.

Whenever I see a review of Mama Melrose the food always looks really good and I think how much I would like to eat there, then I check out the menu and struggle to find something I would like. So I guess I am destined to just always have food envy at other people's food reviews of that place.

Looking forward to more, I am loving how quickly you are posting the updates.
Hi Joh!

Trust me, there was lots of wanting to kill each other

I can't believe you can't pick something you'd like from the Mama Melrose menu, I think I'd like to eat all of haha.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Hurrah you've begun!

The meal on pre travel day looked lovely in spite of the silly server having a spat over Pepsi!

Chicken Guy has been getting some great reviews and I'm keen to try it out. I now know not to have the chicken tenders though! It's a shame you didn't enjoy them.

Wow, you did well to get all the photos of the buffet at the wave. It sounded like this was a hit. Followed by lunch at Mama Melrose. I'm chuckling that you had to convince the others they were supposed to order an appetizer, I imagine they were still stuffed after the buffet breakfast, but they were troupers and went ahead with it. Nice that the server gave you the choice of ordering a flat bread to go instead.

Oh dear, the evening didn't quite go to plan. It all sounds a bit hectic at the food court and way too complicated for the evening. We found the same thing when we went to Blaze on day 1 as we just felt like we couldn't decide what to get and there were so many choices...and that was just 1 counter of options, if we'd been faced with all the options you had then there's no way we'd have avoided a meltdown. Even though we felt alright and didn't think we were jet lagged I think we were really.

I'm looking forward to reading all the rest of your adventures.

Xx
Hello Abby!

I sounded like a sales person when I was trying to convince them to have starters, 'it's all included' . The flatbread wasn't as big as I'd imagined so we maybe should have ordered two and maybe a salad to share with the mains, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I actually had to stop myself from telling them my food report would be more interesting if they ordered them as I knew Nik would never let that go!

I think you're probably right about the jet lag, I honestly thought I felt okay, but thinking back I was trying to rush things at the food court, if we'd stuck to the plan we could have just relaxed and had someone wait on us.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
So much food Lol x
Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
The breakfast offerings at at The Wave look fantastic, very fresh.

4 portions of fries lol! Oh dear, why didn't everyone just wait for you to split the food. After all, you are the chief planner and nothing should be eaten without your say so. I do hope your companions learn the rules soon Seriously though, its a shame it ended up being so stressful for you and that no-one really enjoyed the food.
Lynda, you are right, I am Lord and Master and they should not eat until they are granted permission, they were behaving as though they were on holiday, I hadn't even taken a photo

The Wave was great, I'd recommend it over any of the character buffets too, a much more chilled setting for adults.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Oh poor you. Mountain of fries and no one eating!
Wave looks great- May consider that for a breakfast.

Love the idea of eating a meal in each of the deluxe resorts on the monorail.
It's great fun visiting all of the monorail resorts, I love browsing in the shops, definitely give The Wave a go!

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
I’m sorry you had a bad experience at AoA but can I say I’m glad someone else had a family tiff on their trip?!

Look for that coming in my trip report
This was a slightly censored version of the evening Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I sooo want to have breakfast at The Wave now! I feel like we’ve been trying for 3 years so it’s definitely on the list next year. Maybe on a “rest” day.

I like Mama Melrose but Marie said it was just ok. Probably cos she got a boring plate of pasta in a tomato sauce and I got the steak. We were also served the trio of desserts as it was the Fantasmic! package and they weren’t great. Sounds like dessert is not something they do well.

Your evening at Landscape of Flavours sounds like something that would happen to us! Marie also doesn’t share food but more for Joey reasons.
My heart sank when I got home and read that you'd cancelled The Wave as I knew you'd be so sad about missing out on the pancakes. If you go on a rest day you could do a monorail tour afterwards!? I did think of you when I was eating the pancakes

I definitely agree about desserts not being Mama Melrose's strong point, I've never cared for the F! platter.

I'm still mad about Landscape of Flavours, the whole point of going was for the pasta and no-one even had it!

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Great reviews👍
Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
Love following along! I have the DxDDP next year and I can’t wait for the breakfast at the Wave now!

Hoping you are doing lots of signatures

Your trip sounds amazing, I think a solo trip would be bliss, especially with DxDP, I am so jealous. We ate at quite a lot of Signatures Thank you for reading and enjoy The Wave, you definitely will.

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Only just spotted that you have started your food report.
Your meal at Glasgow the night before you flew looked good.
The Wave breakfast looks fab, I heard those sweet potato pancakes were amazing. In my head I’m now wondering if I can fit this in to our trip anywhere...
Mama Melrose, imagine having to persuade the other 2 to have a starter. 😂 shame your flat bread was not great. Your mums pasta looks nice, my Dh agrees with you that the steak there is great and that will be his Christmas dinner this year. I was going to have the tiramisu but I might rethink that.
What a shame that your visit to landscapes of flavours did not go well. That’s one of my favourite food courts and the create your own pasta there is always really good.

Thanks for taking the time to post. It’s really helpful. x
It would be quite rude not to eat at The Wave for breakfast seeing as your staying at the resort wouldn't it!? I hope you can squeeze it in. It's cheaper enough that paying OOP won't break the bank either if you decide not to use your credits for it.

I was so mad at my mum for not having the pasta, I know she'd have loved it, I should have probably got it myself.

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
great start, I'm not sure we'd like Chicken Guy. Do love a chicken tender but not a Guy Fieri fan. Mama Melrose always starts on our list then gets cut (along with Biergarten) but the photos always look so good so it makes no sense that we drop it! Looking forward to more
Thank you for reading! The Disney chicken nuggets were better than Chicken Guy's, so if you're on the fence about it I really wouldn't bother.

Definitely try and give Mama Melrose a go next time, I think it's probably being victim of there not being much to do in the Studios!? We haven't spent too much time there over the last few years.

Thank you for reading everyone, I'll post Day 2 later tonight
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
I didn't realise you were back Colette, that was quick! How rude of the Holiday Inn server to go in a strop because HE brought you the wrong drinks It seems the service picked up though, and the food looks nice
Last time I stayed at GLA I ate at the Courtyard by Marriott. I can't for the life of me remember what I ate but it was a full evening meal and was very good so maybe another walkable from the terminal option to consider.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post

Your trip sounds amazing, I think a solo trip would be bliss, especially with DxDP, I am so jealous. We ate at quite a lot of Signatures Thank you for reading and enjoy The Wave, you definitely will.

I can’t wait either it’s my first time solo so fingers crossed I enjoy it - I quite like the idea of being fairly selfish with only myself to consider.

I’ll be booking breakfasts at The Wave, Kona Cafe, Trails End, Boma and trying to get a Cali Grill brunch - I quite like the idea of doing a breakfast, skipping lunch or using a snack credit then doing a signature in the evening.

I’ll be reading your signature reviews with interest to see what stays on the list
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoyed your previous food report do looking forward to reading along with this one! Quite a few places we didn't get to last trip so liking the insight! 👍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We loved The Wave & Mama Melrose too.

Happily drooling over your photos!

M x
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Last time I stayed at GLA I ate at the Courtyard by Marriott. I can't for the life of me remember what I ate but it was a full evening meal and was very good so maybe another walkable from the terminal option to consider.
Thanks Rachel, I had no idea you could walk from the Courtyard, I'll definitely look into it for next year.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
I can’t wait either it’s my first time solo so fingers crossed I enjoy it - I quite like the idea of being fairly selfish with only myself to consider.

I’ll be booking breakfasts at The Wave, Kona Cafe, Trails End, Boma and trying to get a Cali Grill brunch - I quite like the idea of doing a breakfast, skipping lunch or using a snack credit then doing a signature in the evening.

I’ll be reading your signature reviews with interest to see what stays on the list
All great choices, I am a bit miffed that we ended up missing out on Kona. I think a TS breakfast followed by a Signature in the evening is the most sensible use of the DxDP, it's the only way you don't burn out.

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Really enjoyed your previous food report do looking forward to reading along with this one! Quite a few places we didn't get to last trip so liking the insight! 👍
There's never enough days to eat everywhere you want to is there?!
Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
We loved The Wave & Mama Melrose too.

Happily drooling over your photos!

M x
I think I could have eaten at The Wave everyday and not got bored, I really should look into trying breakfast or dinner. Thank you for reading!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

DAY 2

Another 7.30 am breakfast this time at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I have to say I love the restaurants that offer super early ADRs as you can enjoy your breakfast knowing you can still make rope drop, I'd have loved to have done 1900 Park Fare this year but they don't start serving until 8.

Boma

This was one of my favourite breakfasts last year and I was really looking forward to coming back again and introducing it to Mum. I did manage to snap buffet pictures but due to it being busier than The Wave I couldn’t get as close to stations as I’d like, and I’ve only just discovered that the lighting has rendered some of them basically useless!

First up is bobotie, chakalaka, pap, grilled tomatoes and asparagus.

Then the carvery station with ham and turkey. I really love the ham. Mustard sauce and a spicy sambal paste are also available as flavouring. The dish at the end is corned beef hash.

Oatmeal and a quinoa dish.

Bacon, the best sausages in Disney, tater tots, and hidden on the end is fried plantains. Maybe unsurprisingly, this was the most popular station and It was impossible to get a photo without someone else in it!

Biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs with spinach and feta and regular scrambled eggs.

This is the omelette station offering made to order omelettes with a variety of ingredients, poor Nik forgot they offered this, and loaded up his plate and was too full for one by the time he remembered! The cold items that you unfortunately can’t see are fruit salads, a salad dish and cold hard-boiled eggs.

Mickey and Simba waffles, pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes (I didn’t get to try these but really wanted to!) and a jug of syrup on the end.

A selection of fruit and some apple sauce, I'm not a fan of apple sauce and am quite fascinated by how much of a staple it is in the US.

Yogurts and toppings to create your own little parfaits! They had banana and plain Greek yogurts Nik was really disappointed that they didn't have strawberry.

Cold meats, cheeses and smoked salmon.

Baked goods. In the top corner is banana bread (which I wish liked) as they have Nutella to spread on it.

Krispy Kreme donuts!

And my favourite station, the sticky pecan buns and the star of the show, the French Toast Bread Pudding with pecan praline and vanilla sauces, SO good.

Bagels and croissants with a selection of jam. They also had ‘normal’ bread next to the toaster.

Go to Boma, you will not regret it! Animal Kingdom Lodge, as all the Deluxe resorts are, is a great place to visit too. Breakfast for 3 of us came to $81 exactly and cost us 3 TS credits.

Mum and Nik had preferred The Wave, I loved The Wave too but as you can probably see Boma had far more variety. We have eaten here several times now and all of the staff are lovely, that includes the servers, the chefs on the carving station, the hosts and those at check-in. Our server did point out that it was a ‘tater tot day’ so it’s likely that the potato accompaniment is switched out depending on which day of the week it is, so don’t go with your heart set on those, or dig a little deeper to find out what is served when. I also believe the pancake ingredients change, today it was chocolate chips, but last visit it was M&Ms.

CREDITS USED 14
TOTAL IN $$ 362.06

This is a frozen coke from Drinkwallah in Animal Kingdom. I have one of these almost every trip and I always forget that they are not particularly good! I got it to quench a thirst and it really didn’t, the frozen lemonade I had yesterday was more refreshing.

Yesterday after Mama Melrose's, Mum had mentioned that she didn't think we needed a big lunch every day and that she would prefer a snack followed by a big meal in the evening. She repeated this a few times over the course of the day and I realised it was something she felt strongly about. I had put a lot of thought into choosing restaurants I knew she would enjoy, so I was disappointed that she felt this way. As the 'host' I wanted everyone to be happy so I cancelled several of our lunch ADRs, including today's. This was a knee jerk reaction on my part. When planning I had been mindful of how tired we would be in the evenings early in the trip and hadn't booked any dinner ADRs until a few days in, our lunch was scheduled to be our big meal; any normal person would have explained this to my mum, but I got quietly offended that someone dared to critique my plan and overreacted. Cancelling our TS lunches was a huge mistake, not only did it impact on the value of the DxDP, it was unseasonably hot this year and I think we would have really benefited from a nice sit down in the AC at lunchtime.

Lunch was supposed to be Yak and Yeti table service, but I had cancelled this the previous evening. Nik had suggested we try Yak and Yeti QS instead, which we’ve never done and I was happy with that. As I was waiting to collect our order the heavens opened, this was the only rain we were caught in for our entire trip, and I don’t think it even lasted 30 minutes but the timing was awful! If it had started raining 5 minutes earlier I’d have used our Landry card to go to the TS restaurant after all.

Yak & Yeti Local Foods Café

You can see the menu here.

Mum had the Asian Chicken Wrap sliced Chicken, Mixed Greens and Tomatoes served on a Whole Wheat Tortilla with Chips.

I had read negative reviews of this and they were to be believed! The wrap is served cold, the ‘sliced chicken’ is deli meat like you would buy pre-packed in a supermarket, but there was hardly any of it, as you can probably see it was predominately salad. Although it is not listed as having any dressing included it was very wet.

Nik and I both ordered the Honey Chicken Tempura Chicken, Carrots, Snap Peas, Honey Sauce, and White Rice. This is a bit of a Dibb favourite and I had wanted to try it for a long time, hence why I broke my rule of everyone having to order something different.

I am not a fan of Chinese food, so I shouldn’t have been shocked that I didn’t like this, it was much too sweet for me, so I passed it over to my mum, who liked it and cleared the bowl. Nik also wasn’t a fan, he thought t was very bland. I had expected the chicken to be crispy but the batter had gone soggy underneath the sauce. I should have ordered the Hot Dog!

I added three Pork Egg Rolls and Basket of French Fries for four snack credits. I’d always wanted to try the pork egg rolls, as I don’t like spring rolls due to my aversion to vegetables, but I do like meat! It may have been due to them getting wet on the walk from pick up window to the table, but the egg rolls weren’t crispy like I’d imagined, I wasn’t a fan of the filling either. They are huge though, and great value as a snack.

I also used a snack for a side of Chicken Fried Rice.

I didn’t enjoy this either, it was just a bit bland.

Sadly, we won’t be back to Yak & Yeti QS, as well as not enjoying the food the also don’t have an indoor seat area. There is a covered section but (due to the rain) there was no empty tables so we had to sit holding umbrellas over us whilst we were eating .

The three meals came to $47.22 but we used 3 of our dining credits.

CREDITS USED 17
TOTAL IN $$ 409.28

By the time we had finished eating the rain had stopped, I was still hungry and had planned to go to PIzzafari to get something to eat, but despite the rain, it was very hot and I couldn’t be bothered walking over there. As I knew we’d be eating dinner relatively early I decided to settle for a snack. I picked up a Mickey Pretzel with Cheese Dip from the Harmabe Fruit Market.

I also had a Frozen Flamingo - delicious non-alcoholic frozen concoction with flavors of Strawberry and Passion Fruit also from Harambe Market. I didn’t like this, it was similar to a smoothie and I prefer slushes.

I was excited about this evening’s meal as I had only heard good things about the restaurant.

I had originally booked the new Pizzafari QS family-style dinner for this evening as I am a sucker for any 'new dining experience', in the end I cancelled it we were planning on eating at several Italian restaurants and I thought Satu'li Canteen in Pandora would be something a bit different.

Satu’li Canteen

I had expected Satu’li Canteen to be busy as everyone is raving about it, so I pre-ordered via Mobile Order on the My Disney Experience app. Mobile Ordering is a game changer and makes QS ordering so much easier than ever before, with zero stress. You place your order via the app, then when you arrive at the restaurant click ‘I’m Here Prepare My Order’ your order will be freshly made, and you’ll be sent a notification when it is ready to collect from the pick-up area. Each restaurant has a clearly sign posted area dedicated to Mobile Orders. All QS locations in Animal Kingdom other than Yak & Yeti, accept Mobile Orders.

You can view the Satu'li Canteen menu here

Mum ordered Shrimp & Noodle Bowl - Chili-garlic Shrimp, Lo Mein Noodles, Red Pepper, Broccoli and Green Onion tossed in a Honey-soy Dressing served with Cucumber and Mango Slaw

This a was huge portion, and she really enjoyed it. In case you can’t tell from the pictures, the food here is served on real plates with real silverware.

I chose the Combination Bowl: Grilled Beef & Chicken - Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef marinated in a blend of Garlic, Herbs, Red Pepper Spice and Red Wine Vinegar, paired with Wood-Grilled Chicken Thighs marinated in Garlic and Olive Oil, topped with crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Boa Balls served with your choice of Base and Sauce. The choice of ‘Base’ is Rice & Black Beans, Red & Sweet Potato Hash, Mixed Whole Grain & Rice or Hearty Salad, I had the hash. The ‘Sauces’ are Charred Green Onion Vinaigrette, Black Bean Vinaigrette or Creamy Herb Dressing. I had the Creamy Herb.

As we walked into the restaurant we could see them roasting the meats for the bowls and I knew we were in for a treat, they looked gorgeous and they tasted absolutely incredible. Both the chicken and the beef were melt in the mouth good, they would make amazing sandwiches. I wasn’t a big fan of the hash, as I don’t really like my foods touching (I need one of those kiddie plates with the separators - they sell them in Disney and every year I joke I'm going to buy one) so the potatoes were a little soggier than I’d have liked due to everything else being piled on top of them.

Nik also had the bowl but with only chicken, he also had the creamy herb sauce but opted for the Mixed Whole Grain & Rice, which I think worked much better as the base.

We also had to try the Cheeseburger Steamed Pods Steamed Cheeseburger Pod stuffed with Ground Beef, Ketchup, Mustard, Pickle and Cheddar Cheddar Served with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Vegetable Chips.

Everyone says this these taste like McDonalds Cheeseburgers and Nik was adamant that that couldn’t be true so we had to see for ourselves, and the verdict is that they do taste exactly like them! I’m not a big bread fan so these were a little doughy for me so I don’t think I’d order them again. I enjoyed the vegetable chips, they were similar to the Tyrells Root Veg ones we can get over here.

Dinner cost $76.07 for 4 adult meals, or 4 dining credits. This is very expensive for QS food but we really didn’t feel like we were eating QS, and enjoyed our meals, this was so different from stereotypical theme park food and Disney have been really bold with the options here. We were eating at 5pm so basically the start of dinner time, but the restaurant was much quieter than I anticipated, we needn’t have used Mobile Order it was that quiet. I was surprised as I had thought this place was the hot ticket right now but I suppose the absence of cheeseburgers and nuggets puts some people off. The dining area was much smaller than I had expected too, in pictures it looks cavernous.

CREDITS USED 21
TOTAL IN $$ 485.35
Old 21 Oct 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

It’s a shame when people don’t appreciate your planning either deliberately or just because they don’t think about it.
Glad you enjoyed Boma breakfast, I wasn’t overly impressed when we did it but I was very tired that day which makes me harder to please.
Shame you cancelled your Yak and Yeti reservation, you could have just ordered less.
I love Satilui canteen. Those rice bowls are awesome but the prawn one your mum had looks right up my street.