Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 23, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Who listens to podcasts ?

I have never even considered listening to podcasts .
Listen to absolute 80s and they go on about their podcast - then go something along the lines on ‘ available wherever you get your podcasts from ‘
I would have no clue where to get a podcast from !
( maybe this should be in the ‘ getting old’ thread ) 🤣🤣

Also hearing ridiculous number of adverts for Steve Coogans ‘ from the oasthouse ‘ podcast .
How much must that be costing on advertising?
I see it costs £8.99 to listen to it .
Wow
You get get whole Tv subscriptions for that can’t you ?
Does anyone actually pay for Coogans podcast or any similar paid for podcast ?

What am I missing out on ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am as baffled as you are, Buryboy.

I have never listened to a podcast and would not know how to.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Ok, I’ll it a go at convincing you cynics! Just as context, I turned 50 this year, I have an Insta account that I don’t use, similar with Facebook, no time for ‘influencers’ (but that’s subjective, as anyone you listen to could be considered an influencer by others)

Generally I intermix between podcasts and music. All on Spotify which I originally got for music only so I consider the podcasts ‘free’.

There’s podcasts I listen to for general interest/entertainment by people you’d have hear of. So ‘Brydon &’ which features Rob Brydon interviewing a different person each week.

Then there are the more subject specific ones which only resonate if that’s what you’re into, but I think there’s multiple podcasters to choose from for just about any subject you’re into.

So for me, a few examples:
- Late Braking Podcast : F1-related
- DVC show : You can guess from the name and I include this to explain what podcasting is about. Whilst I am never going to buy a DVC contract I find the whole subject strangely fascinating!
Harry’s Garage : Actually on YouTube and by a former Car magazine owner reviewing cars predominantly from the 80’s and 90’s so my era.

Note that most of the above are all older than me - it’s not exclusively a young person’s game. Also that in each case they can afford to go far deeper and far more nerdy in their subject than would ever be allowed on, say, terrestrial TV that has to cater to a broader audience (e.g. old Murray Walker would never say anything I didn’t already know about F1). And that, for me, is what makes podcasting a great thing.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I just use Spotify. Don't pay but podcast adds are easy to skip though.

Not that I listen to any consistently any more.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

There are some great podcasts out there. I’ve never paid for one though.

I enjoy the ones that are serialised stories, Transfer: The Emiliano Sala Story from BBC Wales is excellent and well worth a listen even if you’re not a football fan.

I also like This American Life and Woman’s Hour too.

I use the ‘podcasts’ app on my iPhone to listen.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I listen to Dave berry morning show from absolute and bush and Richie home time show from absolute. Fighting talk on five live and Christian o Connell from gold in Melbourne. I listen to the podcast while walking the dog as I prefer to listen to people talking rather than music.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
There are hundreds of free podcasts. I listen to loads of Disney ones (including the one I do with my fellow Dibbers, "The Great British Mickey Waffle".

Just open the purple 'podcasts' app on your iphone if you have one, and search for what you want. Loads of free stuff.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I listen to podcasts using Spotify. You can pay for an ad free version but I don't pay and simply fast forward the adverts.

I listen to quite a few main stream podcasts (S**gged, Married, Annoyed, The Chris Moyles Show, Parenting Hell, Off Menu) but there are so many others - true crime, football, rugby, cricket, books, current affairs, TV shows, travel, cooking. Pretty much anything really.

If you have a smart device, such as Alexa, you can ask it to play podcasts.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I listen to a fair few podcasts, I never pay for them though, it’s just the free ones I listen to. I have the Podcasts app on my iPhone.

Most of the podcasts I listen to are crime ones. For example:

Emma Kenny- Bang to Rights. In these podcasts she discusses significant crimes and details what happened.

The Mail+- They discussed a recent court case as it progressed.

The Missing- This one discusses significant cases of missing people.

For me, these are a bit like listening to a documentary, rather than watching one. Handy for when I’m in work.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 23, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If your just starting off in to podcasts or wanting to see what it’s all about then BBC Sounds is easily one of the best places to go to. Literally thousands of free (if you have a license) podcasts covering every topic under the sun. Link to BBC Sounds.

If you love to learn about the universe then the Infinite Monkey Cage with Brian Cox is just amazing.