Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Feb 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hearst Castle

Quick and hopefully easy question...

I will be there at Easter, the relevant bit being the staying 2 nights at Monterey before driving down to the Madonna Inn and staying 3 nights there (as a base).

With this in mind, we may do Hearst Castle on our drive down from Monterey (unlikely as we want to see 17 mile drive, Partington, Pfeiffer and Bixby Bridge en route).

We are more likely to drive the 50 miles back up on one or other of our two full days at the Madonna Inn and do it that way, but we are obviously wanting to play loose in case of inclement weather.

Now the question. Will I be able to roll up and get in on the day.. or should I be taking pot luck and booking it now?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:03 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We’re having the same dilemma! I’m not sure which day we’ll be able to fit it in and so don’t want to commit before we’re there. I’ve checked our dates on their website and there are lots of tickets available so I think we’ll risk it.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
When we visited in October 2018 we just turned up. It is worth a visit, we did the main house tour and will be visiting again in May this year to do another part of the estate.

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi just to give you some food for thought, we would perhaps suggest 3 n Monterey and then 2 at the Madonna inn. In Monterey the aquarium is first class and worth a visit , are you going to go whale watching, it’s one of the best things we have ever done.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Oh by the way make sure you stop at San Simeon to see the elephant seals. End of March last of the big males leave after mating and the females and juveniles start to arrive for moulting.

Edited at 07:21 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi just to give you some food for thought, we would perhaps suggest 3 n Monterey and then 2 at the Madonna inn. In Monterey the aquarium is first class and worth a visit , are you going to go whale watching, it’s one of the best things we have ever done.
This is not our first visit. We missed the PCH last time due to the mudslide.

We will be spending 3 further nights in SFO Alcatraz (again), Freerunning cycle hire for Golden gate park, Sutra, the bridge and Bonito Point. The love tour in a VW Camper. The haunted tour around Nob hill).

Monterey (been before), is for a further Whale Watch and a better look. Plus convenience for the top end of the PCH (Partington , Pfeiffer and as we spend a day heading South.

Madonna Inn, we love (hence the 3 nights). It gives good access to Hearst (we have seen San Simeon Seals but not the inside of Hearst after backtracking up after circumventing the mud slide). We are also Horse riding out of the Madonna, seeing Pismo and hopefully a few Monarch Butterflies plus the pier. We are possibly going to drivedown to Solvang, dependent on time.

We fly out of S L Obispo to Seattle where we continue the vacation.

There is reason in our madness!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

I didn’t know there was an aircraft museum at Hearst Castle🤣. Hope you all have a great trip.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tapley View Post
I didn’t know there was an aircraft museum at Hearst Castle🤣. Hope you all have a great trip.
Thanks, Brian. Regrettably no aircraft this time (although I have been spoilt in the past)... maybe USS Hornet.

Old 28 Feb 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Both times I’ve been to Hearst Castle I reserved tickets ahead, but you can also take your chance and buy the day of. Easter time is also spring break time though, and all California big attractions get very busy. If you decide not to book Hearst in advance, you do risk tickets being sold out when you arrive, or having to wait a few hours for the next opening- you go in by timed groups, so you choose a time when you get tickets. They do charge a fee of $8 per ticket to reserve though, so that’s a bummer.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

We had no problem just turning up on the day, but that was in September so possibly quieter.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List