Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 3 Jun 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jp19770
New Poster (2)

first trip with my 16 month old daughter

Hi All,

we are returning to Orlando in September with my daughter,

My wife and I have been several times but this is our first trip with an infant,

any advice welcomed

thanks

JP
jp19770 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Hi,
My niece had just turned two when we went.
All i will say is take a pack lunch and lots of snacks. My sister brought snacks over from the UK as we have different ones. Also, we put a fan attached to the buggy to keep her cool. It was really warm.
be careful taking her on certain rides. My niece freaked out at toy story mania and caused the ride to stop completely.
But other than that have so much fun

DVC member since Sept '18
Youtube - Kymmieakiss
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
candycat75
Imagineer

candycat75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi and welcome
Old 5 Jun 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
belfastbabe
Apprentice Imagineer

belfastbabe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Welcome! We took our dgs when he was 19 months for first time and it was magical! It is a different holiday with an infant but with plenty of fluids and lots of shade(we also found a cooling fan invaluable) you will have a great time! Our time at Disney involved a lot more character meets and sit down shows- that first meeting with Mickey and my darling boy brought tears to my eyes! It's now our family tradition that my gs sits beside his nana on its a small world every visit! Pure magic- enjoy😀
belfastbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

How lovely, it will be hot but you will have a great time.

I've received some great advice from here, so you are in the right place.

For me the key things were take some gaffer tape (to cover electrical sockets in the room), to use the baby care centres in the parks (animal kingdom and EPCOT are very nice, hollywood studios is small and smelly), take swimming nappies with you (they are expensive in the resort shops) but nappies are available in the supermarkets (along with baby food and milk), and get as many photopass photos as you can (you can do rider swap for some rides).

Pushchairs have to be folded up on most of the transport (buses, trams and smaller boats) so it is worthwhile either hiring or buying a light and foldable one (plus a bag for the aircraft). I found having a baby carrier or sling useful as the pushchair generally comes out with the rest of the luggage. Also it eases the strain on the arms if you decide to go without the pushchair.

It is difficult to judge whether kids are OK with characters, but the cast member suggestion of picking them up and holding them on the first meets worked well for us.

Give up any hope of watching a film or tv on the plane. Or eating at the same time as each other. Virgin were good for us travelling with a 1 year old, but doing the same trip when he was 2 they weren't so I guess it is crew dependent.

Cooling towels or misting fans may be a good idea (we got a cheap one from primark). Stroller fans also seem like a good idea but we don't have one.

Mark your suitcases visibly (we spray painted neon pink patterns on ours), it makes it so much easier to spot them!

Putting outfits together in small ziplock bags. This sounds like he was wonderfully coordinated but that is far from the truth! It is just a lot easier to grab a bag and know that it contained a top, trousers and socks rather than have to search through everything. Plus it meant that the "emergency supply" was easily replenished. Also can use the bags for clean up cloths and wet clothes (there are lots of water play areas to enjoy). The funniest one (possibly for the observers) is the water spouts in Disney Springs next to the Christmas shop - there was a great look of surprise as water hit his nappy.

Sorry, that was a bit longer than I expected. This is a great place to ask specific questions (e.g. for dining experiences or hotels). I love looking through the trip reports to identify tips (and look at photos and dream of winning the lottery)
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jp19770
New Poster (2)

Thanks for the tips, all welcomed
jp19770 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List