Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jun 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
P.Sherman
Apprentice Imagineer

What an interesting thread! is there a thread as well put together as this for Paris too? this is good as its not information overload but enough detail to really answer lots of questions. Thanks for spending the time putting all this together Tink!

dreaming of my happy place
P.Sherman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Thanks everyone ok time for some more informatio. These are things and bits of information about Disneyland which are not found in other Disney Parks. Some times they get overlooked as people race from headliner to headliner but if you take the time to discover them, you will get a new appreciation for Disney parks

Uniquely Disneyland

Great Moments With Mr Lincoln
This is a show / theatre located on Main Street which many just dismiss, especially international visitors.

The main attraction is a 20 minute show narrated by an animatronic life size Abraham Lincoln. He talks about his life, and some of the events of The American Civil War which are shown on screens behind him as he "talks".

It was originally created for the 1964 New York World's Fair and moved to Disneyland in 1965.

In the lobby waiting area of the theatre are some very interesting exhibits and photos on the wall about the history of Disneyland. One of the exhibits is an original carousel horse from Griffith Park Merry Go Round where Walt used to take his daughters.

There is also a short film played on a loop called Disneyland The First 50 Magical Years. Its on a screen in the lobby area and there are some seats for anyone who wants to watch it.

As everything is inside in an air conditioned building, its a great way to have some down time out of the sun and heat.

Main Street Cinema
Another great way to escape the heat and the sun for a few minutes. This is the original cinema from 1955 opening day. There are multiple screens showing classic Disney animations, including Steamboat Willie on a loop. There is no sound but there are benches. Its a lovely little area to have some time out and experience some Disney history.

Walts Disneyland Apartment
Located above The Disneyland Fire Station on Main Street is Walts Disneyland Apartment. This is where Walt stayed during Disneyland Construction and became his onsite office when the park opened. When he was in the apartment he would turn on a small table lamp in the window. Since he died in 1966, this lamp is now on night and day in his memory.

The Test Wall
About halfway up Main Street as you walk into the park, you will see fruit carts on your right. Go into this little area and find the drinking fountain at the back. The wall surrounding the fountain is know the test wall. When Disneyland was being built, the construction workers used this wall to test different types of bricks and patterns. It was one of the things forgotten about when the park opened and remains now as a unique way of remembering all the workers who help build Disneyland.

Lightbulbs at Coca Cola Refreshment Cafe

At the end of Main Street the Coca Cola Refreshment Cafe has alternating red and white lightbulbs in the ceiling. Right in the corner there is a light bulb which is half red and half white. This is because when Disneyland was being built, the pattern went skewed, and didn't line up correctly due to the number of bulbs installed. So Walt suggested painting one bulb in the corner, half red and half white to keep the pattern correct all the way around.

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Thanks everyone ok time for some more informatio. These are things and bits of information about Disneyland which are not found in other Disney Parks. Some times they get overlooked as people race from headliner to headliner but if you take the time to discover them, you will get a new appreciation for Disney parks

Uniquely Disneyland

Great Moments With Mr Lincoln
This is a show / theatre located on Main Street which many just dismiss, especially international visitors.

The main attraction is a 20 minute show narrated by an animatronic life size Abraham Lincoln. He talks about his life, and some of the events of The American Civil War which are shown on screens behind him as he "talks".

It was originally created for the 1964 New York World's Fair and moved to Disneyland in 1965.

In the lobby waiting area of the theatre are some very interesting exhibits and photos on the wall about the history of Disneyland. One of the exhibits is an original carousel horse from Griffith Park Merry Go Round where Walt used to take his daughters.

There is also a short film played on a loop called Disneyland The First 50 Magical Years. Its on a screen in the lobby area and there are some seats for anyone who wants to watch it.

As everything is inside in an air conditioned building, its a great way to have some down time out of the sun and heat.

Main Street Cinema
Another great way to escape the heat and the sun for a few minutes. This is the original cinema from 1955 opening day. There are multiple screens showing classic Disney animations, including Steamboat Willie on a loop. There is no sound but there are benches. Its a lovely little area to have some time out and experience some Disney history.

Walts Disneyland Apartment
Located above The Disneyland Fire Station on Main Street is Walts Disneyland Apartment. This is where Walt stayed during Disneyland Construction and became his onsite office when the park opened. When he was in the apartment he would turn on a small table lamp in the window. Since he died in 1966, this lamp is now on night and day in his memory.

The Test Wall
About halfway up Main Street as you walk into the park, you will see fruit carts on your right. Go into this little area and find the drinking fountain at the back. The wall surrounding the fountain is know the test wall. When Disneyland was being built, the construction workers used this wall to test different types of bricks and patterns. It was one of the things forgotten about when the park opened and remains now as a unique way of remembering all the workers who help build Disneyland.

Lightbulbs at Coca Cola Refreshment Cafe

At the end of Main Street the Coca Cola Refreshment Cafe has alternating red and white lightbulbs in the ceiling. Right in the corner there is a light bulb which is half red and half white. This is because when Disneyland was being built, the pattern went skewed, and didn't line up correctly due to the number of bulbs installed. So Walt suggested painting one bulb in the corner, half red and half white to keep the pattern correct all the way around.
I love this. It is because of all the things that Walt will have been directly involved in and maybe even touched at some point that makes me want to go to DLC. I did go as a kid on a day visit whilst on holiday in LA but didn't appreciate it at all.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this thread - it has been really helpful as we are going on our first trip next year (hopefully!)

I am going to take a look at the hotels you listed and I love the little bits of information that could so easily get overlooked. I think those little things are going to be my favourite bits about this park!
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Thank you for this I'm someone who is very tentatively thinking of dipping their little toes into a Disneyland trip and I have no idea where to start. Trying to get an idea of packages on the website but I don't seem to be able to

Edited at 08:50 AM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Thank you for this I'm someone who is very tentatively thinking of dipping their little toes into a Disneyland trip and I have no idea where to start. Trying to get an idea of packages on the website but I don't seem to be able to
Right now Disneyland California have stopped all sales of packages and tickets. When were you thinking of booking a trip for?

There are 3 onsite hotels and a range of Good Neighbour hotels which can be booked as packages.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Right now Disneyland California have stopped all sales of packages and tickets. When were you thinking of booking a trip for?

There are 3 onsite hotels and a range of Good Neighbour hotels which can be booked as packages.
To be honest our next trip won't be until 2022 so a good way off to find out these things when everything gets back to normal. This is a VERY recent idea. DW has put the crazy idea of doing Disney World and Disneyland in the same trip in my head. How realistic and practical this is I've no idea!
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for these threads. We are tentatively planning a trip for next summer if the world sorts itself out. I’m sure I read a couple of recommendations you made for Disneyland vlogs? I can’t seem to find them now.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

if you want to watch disneyland take a look at the web cam from the Hojo hotel.
hojoanaheim/webcam/
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
if you want to watch disneyland take a look at the web cam from the Hojo hotel.
hojoanaheim/webcam/
What fun! Thank you for posting this. Much better than proposal writing.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List