Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 10 Jun 18, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
You were buying 4 tyres anyway so which bit of what I said isn't true?
They phoned me to tell me I didn’t need any tyres at all, then said I should take the old tyres and sell them as they where very new. So they where willing to lose the whole sale because the tyres where very good that where on the car, I just wanted all weather tyres on daughters car.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaid2sea
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Great. Will find out where the closet one is to I Drive.

We've used them for tyre change on both cars my husband tells me they are very competitive.
2011 - Saratoga Springs
mermaid2sea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Costco UK won't do either of those and they try to get people to buy 4 tyres at once, when often they really only need two.
It may be different where you are but that's certainly not been my experience with the Costco in Farnborough. Their comment was along the lines of 'Shame you don't need 4 tyres but the front ones are good for another 10,000 or so'.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
I'd love to know what they're up to with tyres. They used to only sell Michelin and their prices were the best, plus they'd have 20% offers a couple of times per year.

Now they sell various makes and the prices are similar to everywhere else.

They also operate differently to the US/Canada where the branches there will do things like swap tyres around to even out wear and change summer to winter tyres and back again.

Costco UK won't do either of those and they try to get people to buy 4 tyres at once, when often they really only need two. Apart from wasting money, throwing away usable tyres is massively bad for the environment.
Your experience might be specific to your local store or certain staff.

For our local store (Sheffield) the crew are excellent, had an MOT show an Amber warning on tyre tread and Costco said the tires were fine and didn’t need changing.

They have also always rotated tires whenever I’ve bought there (something they always point out when buying them before they are fitted).

Never bought more than I’ve gone in for/needed.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
They have also always rotated tires whenever I’ve bought there (something they always point out when buying them before they are fitted).
If you buy a pair of tyres they always put the new ones on the back and put your back tyres on the front.

To be fair, that is the default thing to do if you don't know any better but it's not always appropriate on all cars. They got into a right tizzy when they realised they couldn't do it on my car as the front and rears are different sizes!

But "rotation" I was talking about is swapping the wheels around every now and then to even out wear, or swapping summer to winter tyres and vice versa. Costco US do it free but the UK won't do it even if you offer to pay,

On 4 wheel drive or AWD cars - and there's quite a lot of them around now - it's best to keep the tyres at roughly similar levels of wear.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List