Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I first donated as a 17year old to skip off a college class. Last month my son, 17, donated his first pint. He’s come along with me a few times, watched me donate and snaffle a biscuit so he knew what to expect. He’s a good lad so was desperate to go once he was old enough. Get her to go along and watch only. Once she’s there and relaxed she may change her mind or be brave enough the next time you go.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
planecrazi3778
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I can't give blood due to being gay, which in this day and age is a joke i think... I would love to give blood but I can't. I'm in a relationship and have been with the same partner for 9 years, but I still can't give blood...
planecrazi3778 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My then 17yr old came with me and gave blood, he now quite happily gives blood
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Good for him! I first gave blood in 1966 when I was 16. It was a school dare!
They weren't as strict with the age then. I continued until I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 1995. I also was on the bone marrow register and reached the second stage twice but in the end did not donate.

Sadly I have not donated for many years due to medical problems.
Old 22 Jun 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

My daughter started donating last year at 17, and has been back several times, she's on hold at the moment due to having a piercing. She even altered her tattoo to the day after giving blood so she could. She's a fairly rare blood type so wants to give as much as she can.
DH has given for years, unfortunately I can't due to medication.

Take her along with you to see what goes off, she may not be able to give today as they may not have appointments, unless you have a walk in situation.

I'm so proud when I see young people giving Blood

WDW - 2005, 2010, 2014, 2018
DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lightyear
slightly serious Dibber

We had them round at our work for blood donations but apparently you can't give blood if you've been to Florida in the past 12 months, something to do with it being a malaria / zika zone I think.
Lightyear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by planecrazi3778 View Post
I can't give blood due to being gay, which in this day and age is a joke i think... I would love to give blood but I can't. I'm in a relationship and have been with the same partner for 9 years, but I still can't give blood...
Not entirely true. You can give blood if you haven’t had sex with another man in the last 3 months.

Not ideal but it’s a step in the right direction, albeit rather too slowly.

Personally I’d rather receive blood from a gay man who has been in a monogamous relationship for 9 years rather than a straight man that sleeps around every weekend
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Can I just say as someone who is about to start blood transfusions how totally grateful I am to you all and your children. I am in tears reading your posts. I am a young mam who unfortuantely has developed an issue with my bone marrow. The blood that I will receieve will boost my haemoglobin so I will not feel exhausted and have heart palputations. It means I can carry on and lead a relatively normal life, be there for my children and work until the disease progresses to the next level. Thank you all so much xxx
Old 22 Jun 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Don’t be put off by having travelled to Florida. Here’s the official information for both Scotland and England. As long as you’ve not been ill its only 4 weeks.
my.blood/knowledgebase/travel
scotblood/news/zik...lorida-update/

Edited at 03:04 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

I like how you receive a text now to say where your donation has gone, it makes it feel more real.

I’m O- so I feel it’s my duty to give blood to help save lives
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List