Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

We built ours 25 years ago, we done it on a tight budget and everything in it was hand me downs from family, like sofas, fridge, curtains etc. We moved in with no carpets or heating on Christmas Eve, but we still managed to put a Christmas tree up.

I let my husband do all the designing of the house, but now, I would have a huge input into it, you get to know what you want and where, like a utility room, a separate second loo, where the sofas need to go, even where the sockets need to be ! We have a massive lounge but no dining room or anywhere to have an office. We are hoping to build again in the next few years and I’d love it.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by letty View Post
we did it 22 yrs ago , best thing we ever did! Extended it 7 yrs ago too
Thanks very much for reply. Thats good to read your still positive about it after all these years.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kc1 View Post
Yes we have built 3! most recently just under 2 yrs ago! There is a thread on here I think we called it house build if u look for it it shows you from start to finish!
3! you have got the bug. We will definitely have a wee read of your thread. Thanks very much.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Woohoobb View Post
Not quite from scratch but we gutted our house completely leaving only the external walls and roof. It had a severe damp problem 🙄 it took a lot longer than we were expecting to get to a state we could live in. It had no water for months. But once the big jobs were done the other stuff fell into place pretty quickly. Although I’m still trying to do the finishing touches 😂 but I did have a baby not long after we started! Trying to paint walls at 9 months pregnant was a blast 🤣🤣
9 months pregnant and building/painting your a super hero in my book. Thanks very much for your reply thats an option I hadn't thought of. Buying a house and renovating it.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
Building your own could be the most satisfying thing you will ever do if you set about it the right way. Do lots of research, save hard and don't look back if you do decide to go for it.

Best of luck, it's the biggest regret I ever had in not following though with my idea to do it.
Thanks Big Dog, thats what my husband has a fear of. regretting not doing it.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
My husband would love to. He is currently building our extension himself!
Thats great he's doing your extension himself. it will give him experience and knowledge to decide if a big build is for him. Good luck I hope all works out well.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Not from scratch (might as well be though!) but currently converting some dissuaded agricultural barns on our land into two houses.

It’s taking its time and costs a fortune! (Would have been easier to knock down and start again) but it’s really taking shape now.

We were our choosing kitchens yesterday. 😃

What I would say is, estimate the cost and then add 50% contingency money.

Definitely worth it if you would like too.

Kat
Are you doing them up to holiday let?

Thanks for your tips. thats the bit I would like the buying stuff lol.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jaspercat10 View Post
Yes we did it lived in caravans in the garden for 2 years with 4 small kids, with tv crews in tow very good fun but very stressful as well make sure you have a big contingency budget you end up spending much more than you think
X
Thanks for the budget advice. It must have been amazing having it all recorded on tv for you guys to watch back. My husband was saying about staying on site in a caravan. I honestly don't think I could cope with that.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cocobean121 View Post
We built ours 25 years ago, we done it on a tight budget and everything in it was hand me downs from family, like sofas, fridge, curtains etc. We moved in with no carpets or heating on Christmas Eve, but we still managed to put a Christmas tree up.

I let my husband do all the designing of the house, but now, I would have a huge input into it, you get to know what you want and where, like a utility room, a separate second loo, where the sofas need to go, even where the sockets need to be ! We have a massive lounge but no dining room or anywhere to have an office. We are hoping to build again in the next few years and I’d love it.
I think thats the bit that scares me. What if it all turns out wrong.

Thanks for your advice its much appreciated. I wouldn't have thought of those things. Good luck with it all if you decide to build again.