Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
I could have written this myself! My son failed his 3rd test last week and he is really down about it. His driving during lessons is very good but he just panics during the test! So we went out on the day he failed, bought him a car and learner insurance and DH is taking him out several times a week to build his experience and confidence. No idea if it will work but I’m sure he’ll get there eventually. Good luck to your son too.
Keep me informed! Ds1 does have his own car now but not sure yet whether to let him practice in his or may book him a few lessons the week of his test ,so hard to know what to do I do think it’s nerves at being tested rather than nerves at driving.
Good luck to your boy ! X
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone I feel a bit better now knowing it’s quite ‘normal ‘ just feel so bad for him because he’s a lovely lad but this is really knocking his confidence.we are gonna give some thought to him practicing in his own car with us but I’m a bit worried about him picking up bad habits ! Also thinking of him maybe taking lessons 3 or four days in a row before his test not sure if this will help because I do think it’s nerves of being in a test environment.i like the idea of his instructor being in the car with him but Ds is not too sure .lots to think about ! I’m dreading the next test to be honest I can’t bear him being disappointed again 😩
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My mom always said take two paracetamol before you go on your lessons before you test god knows why but I passed first time!

See if you can ask for the driving instructor to stay in the car with him and the examiner next time so he can see where he is going wrong.

I remember friends who had 5 or 6 tests some because of nerves it’s not easy but frustrating.
feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by feelingnuts View Post
My mom always said take two paracetamol before you go on your lessons before you test god knows why but I passed first time!

See if you can ask for the driving instructor to stay in the car with him and the examiner next time so he can see where he is going wrong.

I remember friends who had 5 or 6 tests some because of nerves it’s not easy but frustrating.
We may actually try the paracetamol ! this is something my grandma would have said too and you have just reminded me x
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

I didn't learn to drive until I was 50 and passed first time. I was really nervous before the test but my instructor said to think of it as another driving lesson but with a different instructor in the car, which I did, it really took the pressure off.
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

I passed on my fourth attempt. Took and failed two then had a year off - drove DHs car on L plates - just run of the mill drives to supermarket, in laws, to friends etc and even drove to coast on holiday on A roads (DH spent a lot of time as a passenger ). I really wanted to go solo so I had lessons again to iron out any faults. Third test was a disaster as I was really nervous and fourth time round I had a really friendly examiner who put me at ease and I passed.

OP how much private practice does your lad get? Let him get some miles under his belt on familiar roads/routes on L plates with you. If he has a car could he not take his test in that if he's more familiar with it?
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

My driving instructor always swore by a late Friday afternoon test. He said the examiners were always more relaxed looking forward to their weekend and that seemed to relax the driver. It certainly worked for me.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
Apologies if this is already mentioned but I used rescue remedy and ate a banana before the test, also had a lesson just before the test. I heard before about paracetamol before as it's supposed to help calm but I didn't try it.
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

I really feel for your son. I was a driving instructor for many years until I retired. The test has become progressively harder over the years.

I used to take my students on lots of mock tests, with me playing the part of an awkward examiner. After a few of these they became much more relaxed.

As others have said, it is all about nerves, and a lot of students think the examiners are some super drivers. (In fact, a lot of them are drivers who could not pass the 3 exams it takes to become a Driving Instructor. So they become Examiners instead.

Get your son to ask his Instructor to take him on one of the actual test routes. (The Instructor should know at least some of the routes.

At the end of the day, he will pass. All this extra tuition will make him a better and safer driver.

It would also be helpful for you to take him out as well. But remember, don't teach him anything, just let him drive. If you notice any faults, explain them to him when you get back home.

Hope this helps.
James

Edited at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The instructor who taught our kids said years ago he'd have a pretty good idea of how his students would do but now he's given up trying to predict as it's become almost random - kids he thinks are rock solid will fail and those he thinks aren't ready will sail through.

Edited at 10:35 PM.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List