Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 21 Oct 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
No problem. On the weight question. Yes, bound to be heavier than a compact although at this price an SLR will be a crop sensor meaning smaller lenses and a plastic body. I've not gone full frame/sensor (yet!) and have always just used the neck strap. A lot of people will advise a sling strap as a worthwhile investment / replacement for the strap that will come with the camera. Can't comment personally but definitely worth a look. Seem to be around £40. More expense but, again, a gift from someone else?
Thanks again gl20, I will look into the sling strap. May be worth getting if she finds it too heavy, so try without it first to see how she finds it.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i use one of these with my DSLR. much prefer it to the standard neck strap. a bargain at £7...

amazon/Prost-Leath...1be0cfe3b50ed4
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 17, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Thanks everyone for all the help so far. We are taking DD to look at possible cameras on the weekend, but in our area we have limited shops, so we will be going to Currys etc to search for the camera she is most comfortable with. Of course, we don't expect Curry's to be the best for price, so I just wondered if anyone could recommend where to look online to get the best deals for the camera when we are ready to buy it? Thanks again
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help so far. We are taking DD to look at possible cameras on the weekend, but in our area we have limited shops, so we will be going to Currys etc to search for the camera she is most comfortable with. Of course, we don't expect Curry's to be the best for price, so I just wondered if anyone could recommend where to look online to get the best deals for the camera when we are ready to buy it? Thanks again
If you know what you want then why not try amazon ?
Old 17 Nov 17, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I think once she has had a look in stores over the weekend, we will be buying via Amazon. I always find them reliable and good for prices. I just wondered if there was anywhere else online with good prices. I'm not sure to wait until Black Friday to see if there are any special offers.
Old 19 Nov 17, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Just ensure it isn't a grey import tho. Or maybe you are OK with that.

Jessops can often be the cheapest.

Also, while buying local might cost a few more pounds - this might be worth it to be able to go back for advice - terchnical or on technique (often those working in the shape can be a wealth of help and advice).

Edited at 04:28 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

On our way back from a few Currys stores and a small Jessops and no luck in any of them. They all had very little stock. We live in an area without big shopping centres nearby. Going to visit Cribbs Causeway Bristol next weekend to see if we have better luck there! Will happily buy online but obviously want to try them first.
Old 19 Nov 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Panasonic TZ100 is an awesome camera at the right price of about £400. Great stabilised video as well as fabulous photos, large zoom in a compact body. I got some amazing footage at a Who Concert. This is it in action:

Amazing £400 kit can turn this out. I have been delighted with the camera.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you YorkshireT, your videos are beautiful and really useful to see. You are right, the quality is excellent. We have been looking more into what exactly our daughter is looking for in a camera and she is keen to have one with 4K video recording which I can see the TZ100 has.

A quick google search is coming up with the TZ100 at over £500 everywhere which is a bit above budget. However, the Panasonic TZ90 is just under the £400 price and also has 4K and many of the same functions as the TZ100 so I am hoping we can look at those in a store next weekend.

Initially our DD had said she wanted a DSLR but she isn't finding all she wants in the price range so she is more interested in a compact now. But she is used to a bridge camera so she wants to handle the compact and try it before we buy to make sure she is comfortable with the smaller size and buttons etc
Old 19 Nov 17, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thank you YorkshireT, your videos are beautiful and really useful to see. You are right, the quality is excellent. We have been looking more into what exactly our daughter is looking for in a camera and she is keen to have one with 4K video recording which I can see the TZ100 has.

A quick google search is coming up with the TZ100 at over £500 everywhere which is a bit above budget. However, the Panasonic TZ90 is just under the £400 price and also has 4K and many of the same functions as the TZ100 so I am hoping we can look at those in a store next weekend.

Initially our DD had said she wanted a DSLR but she isn't finding all she wants in the price range so she is more interested in a compact now. But she is used to a bridge camera so she wants to handle the compact and try it before we buy to make sure she is comfortable with the smaller size and buttons etc
Hi Daffodil. These were not mine, just a few I pulled up on Youtube. I have many videos, but haven't put any on Youtube. Got some great footage in New York and also at a Who Concert, on full 10x zoom and it looks great.
I am a long term photographer, I go back to the days with a dark room and enlarger. I could only dream back then of what we have now. my first digital, the photos were so fuzzy.
I have had a number of good SLRs and the problem is they are so bulky, unless you are serious about turning everything into a photography outing, you end up leaving it at home. The good thing about this is it even fits in my short's pocket and it has a huge zoom lens on it for the size, fully stabilised. With the larger sensor compacts, the results are really fantastic nowadays.
The other options are the equivalent Canon (no 4k) and Sony (more expensive, 4k cuts off at 5 mins due to overheating issues).
The other Panasonic camera is decent but doesn't have as good sensor I don't think and the zoom isn't as good- I looked at it myself when buying this one. I'd recommend, if the budget can be stretched a little, going for this one for the extra £100.
I got mine refurbished off Panasonic's own website- it seemed to be new.
Edit- here is a comparison between the cameras. The TZ 90 zoom is actually longer (it is really huge) but THE thing worth paying for is the sensor. The TZ100 has a much larger sensor- closer to SLR quality pictures, that's why I went for the more expensive one.amateurphotographer...c-tz100-104688

Edited at 09:00 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List