Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Dec 17, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Really enjoying your report, food looks lovely so far!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 17, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
We loved mama Melrose fantasmic package. The food was pretty good and the seats were brilliant. Sounds like the bar that replaced writers stop was fun.
We were genuinely surprised at how much we liked Mama Melrose and would definitely return. The bar was a great place to just sit and chill for a bit. Both highly recommended.

Originally Posted by DisneyStacey View Post
Ooh, fantastic so far!
Love a good food report, can’t wait for the rest! X
Thank you. We had a busy weekend so didn't manage to get any done then, but the next day is on its way shortly.

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Really enjoying your report, food looks lovely so far!
Thank you. It's making me hungry just looking at the photos again!
Old 18 Dec 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day Three

Day three

It was a beautiful sunny morning so we decided to take a walk round to our neighbouring resort, the Polynesian, to have breakfast at Captain Cooks. We were in no rush and stopped to admire our gorgeous hotel several times.

At Captain Cooks we sat outside at what we decided was “our” table, since we had sat there before on a previous visit. I had Tonga toast with bacon and an orange juice. Sean had bagels and cream cheese, which I artistically arranged into a not-so-hidden Mickey, plus a coffee in his refillable mug. We also brought the remains of yesterday’s cupcake out with us, so he had a bit of a go at that.

I have read many times about Tonga toast on the Dibb, but somehow no photo of it had ever registered itself in my brain. Where I come from, toast is something that consists of a couple of slices. I didn't expect the whole loaf! I had to excavate quite far in to find the banana. It was delicious but there was no way I could finish it all. Cost one QS and one snack credit or $13.62

After a bit of outlet shopping we headed to Disney Springs for lunch and decided to give Blaze Pizza a try, having once again heard lots of good things about it on the Dibb. We weren’t disappointed. As breakfast had been so filling, we decided to just have one pizza to share. You follow your pizza along the counter, choosing your crust, then adding to it as you go along. Due to my cheese thing we just had mozzarella, which I can cope with. On my side I had bacon, onions and spinach, while Sean had pepperoni, onions and chillis. We also had a fruity red drink plus a cup of iced water.

Half a pizza was plenty for me but Sean could easily have managed a whole one if he hadn’t had a breakfast full of carbs. We'll definitely be eating here again. Cost one QS credit or $11.42

Our destination for the afternoon and evening was Epcot. It was the last weekend of the food and wine festival, so we knew it would be busy. Make that heaving. Everyone was having a good time though and we didn’t see any evidence of the untoward behaviour that I've heard some people mention.

Anyway, apart from a Soarin' fast pass (middle of row one please) we had no real plans other than to wander and take in the atmosphere. So we wandered straight to France, where I had a lemon slushie and Sean had an orange one. Cost $21.50

We hadn’t long finished these when a lady approached us, indicated our anniversary buttons and said she could see we were celebrating. She went on to say that she would like to treat us and gave us her Food and Wine cards, which had two coupons left on them. How lovely was that!

We grabbed some seats for Eat to the Beat, then Sean went off to find something to spend our unexpected gift on. He chose Japan and came back with a Sapporo beer for himself and a pomegranate pineapple saki cocktail for me. Delicious but unfortunately no photo as it was too crowded to put the drinks down anywhere. Cost would have been $11.75

This evening’s dining reservation was for Tokyo Dining. We ordered our drinks, green tea for me and coke for Sean, but unfortunately, for reasons I won’t go into here, we were unable to go ahead with our meal. I had a quiet word with the manager and offered to pay for our drinks but he said they were on the house and told us there was no rush to leave and just to take as long as we needed. Thank you Disney, we appreciated your understanding.

Edited at 04:20 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 17, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely looking food again, glad Disney were good when you wished to leave, that shows true professionalism and understanding.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 17, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Oooh - lovely food, looking forward to reading more - Mama Melrose is great - we loved it there too. Would love to try the Tonga toast.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I love hearing about the kindness of strangers sharing their credits out. How nice they gave you their leftover food and wine credits.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Loving your report so far! And how kind of that lady to give you her last two coupons
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Loving it...keep em coming x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Lovely looking food again, glad Disney were good when you wished to leave, that shows true professionalism and understanding.
They really were kind. Having been to the real Tokyo earlier in the year, this was a meal we had been looking forward to, so it's become one for another trip, another time.

Originally Posted by JanetteParker View Post
Oooh - lovely food, looking forward to reading more - Mama Melrose is great - we loved it there too. Would love to try the Tonga toast.
The Tonga toast was lovely, but make sure you're hungry first!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I love hearing about the kindness of strangers sharing their credits out. How nice they gave you their leftover food and wine credits.
It was such a lovely kind gesture.

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Loving your report so far! And how kind of that lady to give you her last two coupons
Thank you. It was so lovely of her.

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Loving it...keep em coming x
Thank you. I've had to take a bit of a break with all the Christmas madness but the next instalment is coming up.

Edited at 09:48 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day Four

Day Four

Another lovely sunny morning. We headed off on the monorail to have breakfast at the Contempo Café. Sean had a bounty platter and coffee in his mug, plus a bottle of water.

I had a Mickey waffle with blueberry topping plus bacon and an orange juice.

The service style here is that you order at the till point, then take a numbered flag and the food is brought to your table. It was quite slow and took nearly 20 minutes to arrive. We were in no rush so didn’t mind but some people were giving the cast members a hard time about it.

We did have a brief flutter of excitement when we thought we were getting proper metal cutlery.

But no, in true QS style, these were plastic too.

Slow service but an enjoyable breakfast. We’ve eaten here before and will do so again. Cost two QS credits or $30.66.

Before leaving the Contemporary, we had a look at the gingerbread house there, which was a curious flat affair. There were no free samples available for this one, but there was gingerbread available to buy in the adjacent shop.

Today’s main meal today was a bit of a treat to celebrate our wedding anniversary – we had afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge in the Grand Floridian. There were several options available, plus a very comprehensive tea menu.

I opted for a Bedfordshire, while Sean had a Cheshire, which was the same as mine but with the addition of a cheese and fruit plate.
There was a huge amount of food and all of it was delicious.

From the tea menu Sean had Darjeeling and I had caramel Rooibos. Each came in a big pot with a lovely thick tea cosy.

Sean’s dessert choice was a selection of mini pastries and I had a trifle, which came with an immaculately stencilled GF on top.

The dining plan doesn’t cover afternoon tea, so we paid for it using our gift card. We had planned to use this for our food once our DDP days had come to an end, but it might have taken a bit of a battering on park merchandise already Luckily we still had enough to cover the $90.53 bill.
Although this isn’t something we would normally do, we were looking for something different and special. This definitely fit the bill and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. Although there were no kids there when we went, there were children’s options on the menu and it would perhaps also be something that a little girl would enjoy.

It was late afternoon by the time we waddled away from the table and after a quick freshen up we headed over to Animal Kingdom. After a look around Pandora and a ride on the Na’vi River (thankfully with a fastpass, as the wait time was over two hours) we had a look at the Satuli Canteen. There were some interesting options but we were way too full to be thinking about food right now, so we just got a Night Blossom drink to share from Pongu Pongu refreshments.

It was pretty and fruity and came with a wide straw to suck up those little bubbles with. Cost one snack credit or $6.38.

Our only other plan for this evening was to watch Rivers of Light, after which we decided we could start to think about eating again.
It was getting towards park closing and there wasn’t much open, so we, along with almost everyone else, headed towards Flame Tree Barbecue. Although it was busy it didn’t take too long to get served and find a seat.
We shared a sampler platter with beans and coleslaw, plus a side order of onion rings and a large Sprite.

It was one of the better quick service meals we’ve had. By the time we had finished, the counter had closed. There must have been a bit of over calculation on the production front because a cast member came round offering free key lime desserts. We had no room at all so declined, but some people took loads which sadly meant that others got none. Cost one QS and one snack credit or $28.30

Edited at 01:18 PM.