Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 1 Jun 18, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

St Augustine Trolley Tours

Afternoon folks, anyone done a trolley tour in St Augustine? We're there for a couple of days in our August Disney three-weeker. Thinking at the very least, it'll serve as decent hop-on/hop-off transportation around the main sites.

There are a couple on Trip Advisor - the Ripley's Red Train and the St Augustine Hop-on Hop-off trolley.

Any experience of either, and if so, did you book in advance (say, through Trip Advisor?), or buy locally once there?

Ta in advance
Old 1 Jun 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did the hoho trolley but it was at least 10 years ago I'm afraid so can't recall the detail.

We parked and caught it at the Old Jail House where we also bought tickets.

Mick
Old 1 Jun 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Cheers Mick
We're stopping a couple nights at the Bayfront inn, and under no circumstances bothering to move the car once it's parked! I don't mind a walk to the closest hop-on point, but it'll be August, so don't want too much wandering about in that heat!
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Cheers Mick
We're stopping a couple nights at the Bayfront inn, and under no circumstances bothering to move the car once it's parked! I don't mind a walk to the closest hop-on point, but it'll be August, so don't want too much wandering about in that heat!
We did it (foolishly ) as a day trip - near enough 300 miles there and back. I've driven thousands of miles over there but that was a bridge too far. Limit ourselves to AMI now for day trips.

I think the trolley web site has a map with stop points.

Mick
Old 1 Jun 18, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SnRmam
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We went for a day and had a really nice time..we done the hop on/off trolley. The main station was at the jail house and we done a full packed day and visited loads of places.
The trolleys are really frequent so not much waiting around.
Lovely places to walk around and my kids loved seeing the old America.
We printed a trolley map off the website and with the help of Mick planned our day. Next time will go for 2 days as felt a little rushed. We got a couple of good deals on Groupon.
Hope this helps 😀
SnRmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
flipflop75
Gone all Goofy

Booked one through their website when it was on a deal, parked up at one of the drop off points and left the car all day.
Foolishly did the whole trip in one hit with a view to going back to the bits we wanted to see closer...big mistake,killer on the back when sat rattling around on it for that long.
Would advise getting off and on.
2017 Kissimmee-St Augustine-Miami-Key West-Naples-Disney POR
2018 Kissimmee
flipflop75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

We did the St Augustine HOHO one a couple of years ago. Like yourselves we were staying in a hotel so walked to a booth that sold tickets & they directed us to the nearest stop.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Personally, I think these tours are just a money-making scam. There are far too many of them, so they are a nuisance with blaring commentaries - they get in the way and just spoil the ambience of the place!
Most sights are in the downtown area, which is very compact - no bigger than any of the Disney theme parks. Strolling around the narrow streets at your own pace past the old buildings is the way to do it. The main visitor street (St George's) is pedestrianised, so no tram down there anyway. A few sights are not in the downtown area and not within walking distance. The Old Jail is one that is on the tram tours, but there are others you might want to visit if there for more than one day that are not on the tram route, so you need the car - the lighthouse (which you can climb up) and the whole Beach area, or the outlet mall (if you must!), for example.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 18, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
How long does it take to drive there? I can see you’ve said 150 miles each way but how long does that take? Thank you
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
How long does it take to drive there? I can see you’ve said 150 miles each way but how long does that take? Thank you
Assume you might be referring to my post?

I don't know where you're starting from so try Google Maps for time and distance options.

Mick