Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 20 Jun 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dandyhighwayman
Earning More Ears

Calling runners- running in the Florida heat

Calling any runners out there.

I am doing the Great North Run for a charity close to my heart on Sept 9th, so my Florida trip falls bang in the middle of my training. I am not a great runner, and this is only my second half marathon, so preparation is the key.

The community we are staying on is planned out in such a way that there is a nice 6K pavement loop I have mapped out. My weekly long runs on my training programme for our holiday period are going to be 12-16K and I will need to be doing 6-8K a couple of times each week in addition. Given the walking and swimming we will be doing, cross training will be fully covered.

I have never run in that sort of heat before and do not want to either spoil my training or make myself ill and spoil my holiday. Obviously I will have to go out as early as possible to avoid the worst of the heat, and hydration will be really important, but I wondered if anyone here has done this and whether it might be okay (or wise, or even necessary) to dial back either the mileage or pace (or both) a bit and not suffer the consequences later. I am hoping that 8K in Florida heat is worth 12K in the Newcastle September chill.

Any advice welcome.
Dandyhighwayman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Donald 1983
slightly serious Dibber

I run a fair amount when I’m out there and even first thing in the morning it’s still tough. The heat and humidity really saps you. I usually do 6 minute miles over here but struggled to get under 7:30 over there, so my advise would be go either early or late and be prepared to go slower. Good luck in your half 😃
Big Donald 1983 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mosschops69
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Dandyhighwayman View Post
Calling any runners out there.

I am doing the Great North Run for a charity close to my heart on Sept 9th, so my Florida trip falls bang in the middle of my training. I am not a great runner, and this is only my second half marathon, so preparation is the key.

The community we are staying on is planned out in such a way that there is a nice 6K pavement loop I have mapped out. My weekly long runs on my training programme for our holiday period are going to be 12-16K and I will need to be doing 6-8K a couple of times each week in addition. Given the walking and swimming we will be doing, cross training will be fully covered.

I have never run in that sort of heat before and do not want to either spoil my training or make myself ill and spoil my holiday. Obviously I will have to go out as early as possible to avoid the worst of the heat, and hydration will be really important, but I wondered if anyone here has done this and whether it might be okay (or wise, or even necessary) to dial back either the mileage or pace (or both) a bit and not suffer the consequences later. I am hoping that 8K in Florida heat is worth 12K in the Newcastle September chill.

Any advice welcome.

I ran 5K dark side and DW did the half marathon. Both were early AM in April and it was still warm and harder than usual. Pick your times and try to avoid the hot parts of the day, take water with you and let someone know your exact route and ETA so they know if you've been out too long.

Mosschops

Orlando: 1999, 2001, 2016, 2019
DLP 2008 2017 2019
Mosschops69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Suzieb01
Getting Excited

Mobile

Hi nice post! I run fairly regularly although not for any races. I have done a few in the past but do it now just to keep active. I was thinking about doing a bit while I was out there, will probably do it first thing in the morning though. Good luck on your race x
Suzieb01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

DH runs when we are at the villa he goes out as soon as it's light
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Essential
Earning My Ears

In October 2016 we were training for our first marathon and stuck to our training plan as best we could while we were on holiday in Kissimmee.

We found the only way we could run was before dawn. We would time it so that the sun was just coming up as we got back to the villa. Bearing in mind it was only October so it will be much hotter and humid for you.

It was extremely humid and we would be wringing with sweat within minutes of setting out.

One of the benefits of training in Florida is the terrain. We never came across a hill or even a slight incline on all our runs. Where we live in Lancashire it is very hilly so it was a treat to be able to run for miles on the flat.

One of the best feelings in the world is jumping into the pool after a hot, sweaty training session.

Good luck with GNR x

Edited at 04:33 PM.
Essential is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I live in Singapore which is every bit as hot and humid as Florida (and we don't even get the benefit of seasons!).

Running wise - the only times I will go running outdoors are either early in the morning or in the evening/night. During the day, even walking in the heat can be energy sapping - so if I do actually have to run, it would be at the gym with airconditioning (which I don't do anymore because running on a treadmill is boring compared to running outdoors). I suppose the concern about doing this in a foreign place would be safety though - I'm not entirely sure I would want to be running pre-dawn or after dark in a place I'm not familiar with.

Hydration is really important, bring along a water bottle if you can!

And importantly, don't overdo it - if you don't feel well or are struggling with the heat then stop and walk back!
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Holdensccs
slightly serious Dibber

I run just as it's getting light (really early), it is still hot though and my times are slower overall, but it's better than not running at all. Take care to keep hydrated though.
Holdensccs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Mobile

Like the others said. Slower, shorter, before dawn and jump in the pool after
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Defiantly slower for me, not sure that’s all the food I consume though. I tend to run around 8pm and sometimes catch the evening rain which is lovely.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List