Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jun 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie1972
Having Dinner with Goofy

Please help me, new insulin user

Hi everyone I would be really grateful for some advice.

DH has type 2 diabetes controlled by tablets and diet. Unfortunately in Dec 2015 he was diagnosed with Pemphigus Vulgaris, treatment consists of high levels of steroids and an immune suppressor.

His diabetes has been very difficult to control thanks to the steroids hitting highs of 29+ ! The decision has now been taken to add insulin to his regime.

We are due to go to Florida in less than six weeks the questions I need help with are:

How do I store the insulin pens when travelling and what about at the resort, I know Port Orleans have fridges but from my experience at other resorts they never seem to be cold, we are also staying at Royal Pacific and Cabana Bay?

Also I know when a pen is opened it doesn't need to be in a fridge but what do you put yours in when in the parks as I know it shouldn't be stored in temps above 25?

We have a fly drive with BA and DH is the only driver do I have to inform them because of the insurance?

Any advice will be gratefully received thank you.
Minnie1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie1972 View Post
Also I know when a pen is opened it doesn't need to be in a fridge but what do you put yours in when in the parks as I know it shouldn't be stored in temps above 25?
I can only answer this bit - my DH has a nut allergy and his pens have to be stored below 25, I got him a "AllerMates Black Supreme Epipen and Medicine Carrying Case" from Amazon, inside it is insulated and even has a pocket for a small ice pack, it also has a thermometer inside the case. It works well in this country but we have yet to test it out in Florida.
Old 20 Jun 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Rpr have fridges. DH uses a frio wallet for travelling and in the parks (2 different sizes). Take letter from gp or diabetic nurse for carrying sharps in hand luggage - do not put insulin in hold baggage.
Temperature can affect insulin effectiveness, we've just returned from holiday and dh's cbg's rose during our stay, more monitoring needed

Others will be along shortly I imagine with other tips

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lexie32
Apprentice Imagineer

My ds is type 1 but I can help within insulin storage. We have never had problems and just stored the spare insulin pens in hotel room fridges. When we stayed at Portofino and hard rock they provided us with a fridge free of charge.

Whilst out we use Frito pouches to keep the pens cold and I have large pouches for whist we are travelling.

They can be bought from Diabeties uk or amazon and I’m still using a couple that we bought when ds was diagnosed in 2009.

Hope someone can help,with insurance ect

Alex
Jan 97 - May 03 - QIP, May 04 - Wyndham /HRH, Sept 05 - Windsor Palms, May 07 - Windsor Hills, May 08 - WiH/HRH, May09 - CP/ WL /Bradenton, May/June10 - CP/ YC/Bradenton May/June 11 P.E & Sunset Lakes, May/June 2012 YC/AKL, May/June 13 Sheraton ViV HRH &YC May 14 Sandpearl , Rennaisance SW & PBH, May 16 BC and Sandpearl, Oct 17 BC. Aug 19 Miami & Wilderness Lodge Aug 2020 Sandpearl Margaritaville & Hard Rock
lexie32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Re driving, has the DVLA been notified? Just asked DH and he can't remember if his 3 year license restriction is due to his being on insulin or that he's type 1 diabetic.
Either way it's never been a problem with hire cars, might be best to guve them a call, we've never booked through BA. I'm always added as an extra driver, just in case.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisatink
Getting Excited

Mobile

I use an insulin pump but also use pens when we do the water parks. I am also on steroids for Addisons disease.
I have a letter from the doctors for carrying needles in my hand language and a letter from the pump company explaining that the pump cannot go through the scanners. I too use the frio pouch which is soaked in water and keeps the pens cool.
Strangely it was the Frio pouch that got pulled out and inspected by customs outbound and then again on the way home.
I also bought a waterproof pouch from Decathlon for keeping my blood tester in whilst in the water parks.
Last year I wrote a trip report titled... highs and lows of a diabetic abroad. Sorry I don't know how to attach the link.
Lisatink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

DH & I are both type 1 diabetic; only he drives.
No need to advise rental car company as long as you've taken the necessary steps here & have a valid licence, i.e., filled in the form & informed DVLA as all drivers on insulin must; they'll re-issue the licence for up to 3 years at a time & this also keeps your UK car insurance valid.

Edited at 04:57 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

My youngest son has T1.

We use Frio to transport insulin. Beware though - once taken out of the fridge, the 28 day countdown on the insulin has started even when you use Frio. Frio only guarantees to keep insulin at a *stable room temperature* and not fridge-cold.

Also, letting insulin get up to room temp, then putting it in the fridge at the other end, so cooling it down again *CAN* affect it. If you read the instructions correctly, insulin is not meant to be put back in the fridge after getting up to room temp.

Many people will say they've never had a problem etc, but I know we have had problems with the insulin's effectiveness being really reduced.

Also, never put the Frio pouch in the fridge. DH thought he was being helpful and did it once - OMG it stank to high heaven!

Always keep all your supplies on you - nothing in the hold. Your nurse/clinic/GP should give you a letter, although we've never had to show it. We did have to show the letter from pump company saying the pump couldn't go through xray though (and that DS couldn't go through the scanner because he also wears a CGM).
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

All good advice given already so I won't repeat. Frio packs are excellent. Don't be concerned about travelling with insulin & needles. Security staff are used to seeing them. We always tell the security staff before putting bags through the x-ray - they have never asked for the letter or prescription we carry as proof, but always take them for peace of mind. Only once been asked to take the meds out of the bag after the x-ray - but this was due to them wondering what the Frio pack was on the x-ray image

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I too use Frio wallets to travel with. there are different sizes, and then make sure a fridge is available.
Also you may want to get a needle container, you can get small ones for used needles
Frio wallet amazon/Frio-Insuli...insulin+wallet

Sharp safe needle containers
amazon/Sharpsafe-2...edle+container
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List