Notices

Old 21 Jun 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Did we mention we like a drink? Pre-trip Report August 18

Hellooooo we're back I've attempted a trip report before but didn't make it to the end, I'm suitably ashamed. My second attempt I went with a highs and lows daily report which was easy enough to do and is lovely to look back on. So third time lucky can I complete a trip report?

The cast is rather large on this one we are a family of 3 with 1 DS aged 7, we are going with two other families of 3 who both have daughters ages 9. DS will do a lot of complaining about the girls and they will do a lot of complaining about him but we always have a laugh together and have one thing in common we all enjoy a drink or 5. I will refer to them as The Others throughout the report.

This will be my 6th visit, DH 5th and DS 4th. One family have been to Florida with us twice before the other family have never been as a family and only as a couple about 15years ago. The photo above is from our first visit look how happy my little man is it brought a tear to my eye remembering that visit.

As a group of friends we have no issue in going off and doing our own thing we also have lots of things planned together.

So about us DH Quinn is a wannabe American he loves all things American and loves to shop. There will be lots of trainers purchased for both boys, DS Riley (Roo) is a comedian in the making he comes out with the funniest things and has a way of making friends with everyone. We've just got back off holiday where in a week most of the hotel staff knew his name and gave him a high five as they were passing. Me Kel I'm chief planner even planning the days I won't be attending with the others. I'm sad and love the planning and organising of it all. Our friends said they would never attempt a Disney holiday unless I was planning it for them.

The plan starts with a flight from Birmingham to Glasgow on a Thursday evening. The only reasonable flight prices I could find seemed to be going from Gatwick. We did Gatwick our first family trip and the drive back was horrific and we said we'd never fly from there again. So this time we are trying the indirect route to see how we get on.

We've got a night booked in the premier inn at Glasgow airport before flying to Florida the next day with Virgin. Unfortunately the flight was changed from 11.30 to 1.40 which is disappointing as it means more hanging around but we've decided a lie in and a premier inn breakfast will help kill the time.

We've got hire car booked with budget this time first time using them and I'm apprehensive someone tell me they are okay?!

We are stopping at the Avanti on international drive for 2 weeks. We've stayed here 3 times now we love the location and the pool area is lovely. The others have one night booked at Hard Rock for universal fastpasses we aren't doing universal this time. We all have a night booked at pier house 60 Clearwater for the following weekend for a couple of beach days. We also have one night booked in Tampa Bay at the doubletree Hilton as DH wants to do The Bucs stadium tour if possible if not we will cancel the room.

Controversially I've booked a one night campsite stay to get us 9 magic bands and 60 day fastpasses for £45! It's worth it for the bands. We did look at doing one night in a resort hotel but the prices have shot up a lot since we last did it we paid £60 for an all stars I couldn't get one under £110 this time.

Our plan is just Disney with a couple of days at the beach in the middle. We've decided we will pay and do volcano bay with the others as DS loves a water park. He's a total wimp
on theme park rides but will do any water slide which I find much scarier!

We all love a drink and good food, hopefully we will get plenty of both on this trip. So far we are planning to drink and snack around the world in Epcot. Me and DH managed it last time. While DS sorted his passport in each country we had a drink. DS said this was one of his favourite evenings and wants a passport again this time. Then restaurant wise there are a few firm decisions already:
Maggiano's as there is a birthday in our group so will be celebrating there we had an amazing meal last time.
Bahama Breeze great cocktails and food so can't wait to visit again.
No holiday would be complete without a longhorn steak.
I want to try Buffalo Wild Wings this time I read a trip report that had eaten there and I can't wait to try it for myself.
Millers ale house is a must for DH he will want a bucket of beer and there loaded fries and boneless wings. I do like millers and the beer is cheap.

I asked DS about a character meal at first he said no he was too old then he quickly changed his mind. I've booked for the 3 of us to do tusker house breakfast. First time here and looking forward to it as it seems to have good reviews.

We are planning to do the sea screamer in Clearwater, we've visited before but only for the day and it wasn't long enough to get a feel for the area so any suggestions on where to eat on the Saturday evening?

We fly home again via Glasgow with a 2 hour wait I'm hoping it's not too painful. Oh I forgot to mention obviously I've got Dibbers row booked both ways! We had these seats once before outbound and loved them I'm hoping I might actually get some sleep on the flight home.

That's it so far park tickets have been purchased, esta is complete I'm currently logging in as 12 each day to do our fastpasses. I'm sure the next few weeks will flyby and the packing can commence.

feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Sounds like an amazing trip - Glasgow airport's our local airport, it's not too bad. We usually have a drink in the Beardmore on the way out. Last time we booked into the Upper Lounge (£22 each) but we managed 5 or 6 drinks each plus snacks/sandwiches so it was worth the money - we'd have been loads more for 10-12 drinks in the bar downstairs with snacks. We stayed in the Avanti on our last trip and really loved it for location and as you say the pool area is really lovely. I'm looking forward to tagging along on your trip.
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Sounds like an amazing trip - Glasgow airport's our local airport, it's not too bad. We usually have a drink in the Beardmore on the way out. Last time we booked into the Upper Lounge (£22 each) but we managed 5 or 6 drinks each plus snacks/sandwiches so it was worth the money - we'd have been loads more for 10-12 drinks in the bar downstairs with snacks. We stayed in the Avanti on our last trip and really loved it for location and as you say the pool area is really lovely. I'm looking forward to tagging along on your trip.
I'm interested to hear about the lounge, the reviews I read online weren't great so we had all decided against it when our flight was earlier now it's been moved to the afternoon it sounds like it could be a good idea. I'll have a look at the cost. Thank you.

Avanti I think value for money wise you can't beat it. Did you get a refurbished room? we have the last twice so I'm going to request again and keep my fingers crossed.
feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Ah, great times ahead with friends! Sounds like you have all the planning under control!
I’m intrigued by this campsite thing - hope you don’t mind me asking but how does it work exactly? We’re also staying offsite (in a villa) next April, but if we could get 6 magic bands & book our fp 60 days out while saving £’s that would be great! Do you actually have to turn up to the campsite to collect the magic bands?
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
Ah, great times ahead with friends! Sounds like you have all the planning under control!
I’m intrigued by this campsite thing - hope you don’t mind me asking but how does it work exactly? We’re also staying offsite (in a villa) next April, but if we could get 6 magic bands & book our fp 60 days out while saving £’s that would be great! Do you actually have to turn up to the campsite to collect the magic bands?
We are going to collect the magic bands. I asked the question on here. Apparently there is a wooden hut you go to which gives you the bands and paperwork they don’t ask where your tent is haha. You also get two days free parking included.
Old 22 Aug 18, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by feelingnuts View Post
We are going to collect the magic bands. I asked the question on here. Apparently there is a wooden hut you go to which gives you the bands and paperwork they don’t ask where your tent is haha. You also get two days free parking included.
Interested in this for next year, can you tell me who you booked through? I’ve tried looking at Disney Direct site but it’s not offering me a one night stay at any value hotel? Any ideas or help would be welcomed. Thanks
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List