Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Jun 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Amsterdam must dos?

We have one and a half days in Amsterdam, we have been before many years ago. We missed Anne Frank tickets so will try on the day.
Any must eats that are cheap? we are trying to be on a bit of a budget...
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
littletink
Very Serious Dibber

Go to the supermarket and buy a picnic - then sit in a park and watch the world go by whilst grazing on fab bread, cheese and fizz!

Lindfields 2001 & 2005, West Stonebridge Christmas 2008
Disney Yacht Club, Marco Island, Duck Key & HRH August 2011, Lindfields & Rotonda Aug 2012 - HRH & Rotonda 2013 - HRH & Rotonda 2014 - NYC 2015 - AMI 2016 - Sunset Lakes/Rotonda 2017 - NYC/Bongo's!/AMI 2018 - Boardwalk-Rotonda-HRH 2019 - Rotonda 2023
littletink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Anne Frank will have crazy queues, save it for another visit.

We enjoyed Micropia next to the Zoo, the Rembrandt House, Van Gogh Museum and Our Lord of the Attic. All these were included in the iAmsterdam card, as was transport and some discounts on food. We had a really good long weekend on a tight budget using the cards.

Share a portion of vlamse frites (chips) - they are enormous and so good!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
We have one and a half days in Amsterdam, we have been before many years ago. We missed Anne Frank tickets so will try on the day.
Any must eats that are cheap? we are trying to be on a bit of a budget...
I honestly would not queue for Ann Frank's house. Our hotel concierge got tickets for us but they were for in the evening and we had a dinner reservation. When we went past the queue was about a mile long.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We got last minute tickets for Anne Frank House by choosing to do the talk beforehand (I think it is an extra 5 euro but check the website). It was a deeply moving experience.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Lots of food-to-go type places that do pizza by the slice or noodle boxes so quite cheap. We found some places did 2courses for x euro type offers so again reasonable.

We found a booze cruise, in the red light district, can't remember the cost, might have been €20 or something each but with free drinks and an hours tour. Was really good to pass the time. Think they offered a second hour for 10. So we did that too 😜

We didn't really visit museums but there's lots of churches with free entrance, a cheese museum - really a shop with free samples 😀 or just wander and marvel at the sights in the 'shop' windows
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you get a chance go to the Bijenhof, it’s free and very central and a complete change to the hustle and bustle of the rest of Amsterdam.

It’s a small garden/courtyard area dating from the 14th Century and well worth a visit.

Not far away from there is the Kalverpassage shopping centre, on the top floor is a small restaurant called Blue. It does great food, with Dutch specialities as well, at a good price and has 360 degree views over the rooftops which also makes a nice place to go.

Have fun

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Cheap and good food available in the library by the main station.

Also walk out of main station to left and you will see NEMO (looks like a door wedge). Walk around the harbour to the thin end of the wedge, turn around and walk up the wedge to the top patio. There are some lovely views of amsterdam, lovely in the sun and sometimes park games like chess and mega connect four and water features. Possibly exposed in the rain though.

nemosciencemuseum.nl/en/...mo/nemos-roof/

Not worth going in Nemo if only 1.5 days imho though.

There is a v small and expensive cafe at top. Not necessary to buy from the cafe to sit outside. Can see all the historic boats down to your left in the museum.

Also worth getting one of the hop on hop off bus/boats. We tend to use the red route as a starter and go from there.

Edited at 11:05 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all. I'll look up some of the places. I like the sound of a cheese museum. We have been before but years ago.
We may have an extra party day there depending on how many days we decide to spend at the theme parks...

I would not queue to get in any museums but I think they release some tickets online each day for Anne Frank's so I'll try that. I think i need to get me a book...
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Some good coffee shops
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List