Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jun 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
littletink
Very Serious Dibber

We were there for the first time at the beginning of June. We got an overnight ferry from North Shields - that was a lot of fun! We loved it.

We didnt venture into the red light district, just wasn't our kinda thing. We did a boat trip, drank copious amounts of beer with cheese and sausage (who knew!), visited museums, had a picnic in the park, ate fabulous seafood and just had the greatest time in such a pretty place.

Lindfields 2001 & 2005, West Stonebridge Christmas 2008
Disney Yacht Club, Marco Island, Duck Key & HRH August 2011, Lindfields & Rotonda Aug 2012 - HRH & Rotonda 2013 - HRH & Rotonda 2014 - NYC 2015 - AMI 2016 - Sunset Lakes/Rotonda 2017 - NYC/Bongo's!/AMI 2018 - Boardwalk-Rotonda-HRH 2019 - Rotonda 2023
littletink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:18 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Overall, no.
We were there for a day prior to our four day trip to Efteling in December 2017. Despite being almost invisible due to my coat, scarf, hat and massive backpack, I was catcalled by three separate groups of (Dutch) men within the space of around 90 minutes. Once in the red light district and twice elsewhere. I didn’t know if the men who shouted at me had a bad attitude towards women or towards tourists, but I felt really unsafe despite being with my (male) partner at all times. It left a really bad taste in my mouth and while it may have been a one-off (others have certainly had far better experiences) I’m loathe to recommend it and very reluctant to return.
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, got back on monday. first trip back there in 10 years. a few tips and bits...

get the train from schiphol to centraal station. it costs €5.50 per person, there is a constant stream of trains pulling in, and takes 15 mins. you're looking at €30+ in an uber. its just not worth the hassle. get the train! also, don't spend ages queueing to buy a ticket from a person, there's loads of machines in the central concourse, and they take contactless/chip&pin. just press the ENGLISH button in the bottom corner of the screen at the start and you're good to go.

also buy the tram/metro/bus travel card. we bought the 5 day/120hr pass which worked out at around €5 per person per day. it means you can just jump on a tram. you will cover a LOT more ground with the pass. again, these can be bought from either the machines dotted around (there's one at most stops and a bunch at centraal station) or from the conductor in the entrance to the tram. the other option is buying a bunch of 1 hour travel tickets when you need them, but that will probably work out more expensive in the long run...

most shops take cards, most also have contactless. some only take maestro cards though (remember them?!) so visa debit and/or mastercard won't work there. use cash. we spent around €100 a day in cash (we paid for as much as we could on cards) between the two of us. if you want to pay on card, always check when you walk in if they take it first! (generally, the smaller bars/restaurants and most coffeeshops don;t take card. but a lot of restaurants will. just check first!)

prices aren't cheap anymore. hotels are 2-3x the price they were 10 years ago, and food&drink prices are quite high too (london prices generally)

apart from a few areas, most of the city closes at 11pm. if you want to stay out late, your best bets are probably the liedseplein area, or the red light district. however, the RLD is horrible to be walking around at 10pm on a saturday night. absolutely rammed and just constant stag/hen do's. stay on the perimeter (warmoestraat is my street of choice) and you'll be fine.

if you can, go during the week rather than a weekend, you'll find it so much more enjoyable

you cant buy booze in coffeeshops anymore. soft drinks only. if you want a beer, you need to go to a smoke-friendly bar. most coffeeshops, you need to buy some stuff. or at the very least a drink each.

why didn't i visit the rijksmuseum years ago? very impressed with it.
the banksy exhibit at MOCO was really good too.
bodyworlds was a fun hour or two as well. we bought tickets off groupon for €11 each
had a lovely walk through vondelpark too. never really explored it before.

also. take bug spray, especially if you're likely to be hanging out by the canals in warmer months. i've never noticed it to be this bad previously. but that might've been our loft apartment, coupled with the heat of last week (had to have windows open, resulting in lots of bites overnight)

after it, i'm really glad i went again, but for what we spent, we could've had a budget 2 week holiday in florida...

any other questions, just ask!

hth

Edited at 11:49 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I really like Amsterdam, stayed in many apartments and hotels. The best place I've stayed was in Clink Norrd Hostel - yes, a hostel - it is behind Centraal station and you get a 1 minute ferry across and it's a 5 minute walk from there.

There is loads to do. Even for kids and non smokers

Grab a picnic and head over to Vondelpark. Hire bikes and cycle round.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Oh gosh, mozzies, yes! I opened a window as our hotel didn’t have A/C, and got bitten to death. I woke up in the morning and couldn’t move the left side of my face. Honestly thought I’d had a stroke until I got to a mirror.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i got bit around 15 times. gf wasnt so lucky, she was covered in them with a few that swelled up quite a bit! a fan would have been nice in the apartment rather than having all the windows open...

also, a couple of recommendations...

cafe de klos. some of the best ribs i have *ever* eaten! you need to book a table. theres usually a 45-90 minute wait for tables around peak time, but theres a nice bar directly opposite, and you can have a drink there, and they fetch you when the table is ready. you can even take your beer over to the restaurant with you! - tripadvisor/Restau..._Province.html

metropolitan on warmoesstraat. so good we went there multiple times during our trip. the milk chocolate almond bits are amazin. as were all the icecreams we tried.

tripadvisor/Restau..._Province.html

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List