Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Jul 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

We've done a couple of family vacations to Seattle. One year we rented a house in Snoqualmie Fall. It was a nice relaxing week and the kids (teens) emjoyed hiking around the falls. We had great weather too.

My boys both had friends in Seattle so they were occupied with catching up with them. We did the regular tourist stuff. I am glad we went but my DD ( I think 12 and 13 for the trips was not impressed.)
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Yes been to both!... My sister has lived in Vancouver for 40 years so i have had great times there!..Like others have said Vancouver Island (Victoria) is a must do,Grouse mountain, fish&chips in the beautiful Stanley park ,Whistler and down town Vancouver!,Capilano suspension bridge ,so,so much to do & see..Vancouver is beautiful!,Seattle is a few hours drive away and well worth a visit!,esp going up the "space needle!..You will LOVE..

Edited at 11:39 PM.
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are thinking of having just one nights stop over in Seattle on our way to Hawaii next summer. The plan would be the arrive at lunchtime, have the afternoon visiting the space needle via the monorail, and the fish market and we have opted for a hotel across from the Cheesecake Factory! (Our fav!) - what else would you say we’d need to see?

I randomly watched a customer service video about 20 years ago that was filmed in the fish market and for some reason I’ve always wanted to visit there - haven’t really got a burning desire to see Seattle other than that, except to ‘tick off’ another state! What would I be missing?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes to both, last year we flew int Seattle, had 4 nights there, lovely city. loved the fish market, just strolling about that area and people watching. the whole city has a nice vibe, but be warned the small of marijuana come about 4pm is noticeable!

then we went up to alaska for a land and sea tour that finished in Vancouver, had 3 days there and i must admit i was expecting more from the city that seems to win awards for the nicest / best city... like another OP said we did not feel save near Gas town - my son (aged 15) got offered cocaine! saying that this is only one small area of the city, and stanly park area is lovely.
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We loved Seattle (see trip report in signature!) and are returning as part of our holiday next year. There's more than enough to do for 3 nights and we're looking forward to going back.

Seattle will be part of our trip which also includes Vancouver and Vancouver Island - so I'm looking at best areas to stay etc for these too! Really excited about going, hopefully in September 2019

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
We are thinking of having just one nights stop over in Seattle on our way to Hawaii next summer. The plan would be the arrive at lunchtime, have the afternoon visiting the space needle via the monorail, and the fish market and we have opted for a hotel across from the Cheesecake Factory! (Our fav!) - what else would you say we’d need to see?

I randomly watched a customer service video about 20 years ago that was filmed in the fish market and for some reason I’ve always wanted to visit there - haven’t really got a burning desire to see Seattle other than that, except to ‘tick off’ another state! What would I be missing?

If your day one is arriving from the U.K. I think your plan that day is massively over ambitious!

Remember the time difference is 8 hours and if you’re clearing customs etc and getting bags that will take a while. We got the train from SeaTac into town which was very very clean, not busy, but still took about 40 minutes. The roads were blocked up with lots of traffic so I’m not sure a taxi would have been quicker (and train was v cheap).

We arrived in SeaTac I think at about 3.30 Seattle time and made it to our hotel at about 5.30. After checking in, changing and getting out again the fish market had basically closed but we got the queue for the Starbucks mug out of the way at least!

We wandered along the waterside and around the shops for a couple of hours then had food, and literally crawled into bed. We really struggled with jet lag and were wide awake and looking for breakfast at 4am. Could have bought drugs a few times had I wanted to as well, saw a lot of that.

Not sure where the Cheesecake Factory is (your hotel) compared to your plans but ours walking walking distance to downtown and the Space Needle and no way could we have done all that on arrival (albeit we arrived at 3.30 and you might be earlier).

Final point, we hadn’t had an early start and we’d travelled Upper so we were able to face jet lag much better than if we’d traveled economy...
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Checked some times on our photos and we got to our hotel at 4.45 (but as Upper had no wait at immigration) and Pike Place at 6.00
Old 28 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
My favourites :
Fish market in Seattle
Ferry across to Vancouver island
Thanks, did you do an organised trip to Vancouver island or just get the regular ferry? Trying to decide what is best as time will be fairly limited but we could do a full day trip.
Old 28 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Seattle yes, what interests you?
Where probably more lookers than doers. Looking at the Pop museum & air museum but I'd like to see some places where tv or films have been made, maybe Frasier?

I am a big fan of Heart the band who are from Seattle not sure if you'd know much about that?
Old 28 Jul 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
Not been, but I know there's a LOT of TV shows filmed in Vancouver, including Supernatural, so I could probably spend a day or two touring filming locations!

/Mo
That would be awesome & definitely something we'd enjoy