Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Aug 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Landlord is also contributing to this fraud by ignoring it. If she doesn’t do something about the mess and damp I would be tempted to report her to the Council as well, properties have to be maintained as a condition of registration and she could be in breach of regulations.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

I would absolutely report her for benefit fraud. There are people in this country in desperate need of help and can’t get it because of people like her. Not only is it illegal, it’s also immoral and I wouldn’t think twice about reporting it.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KateD
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I understand why you feel reluctant but as others have said she is committing fraud. If you added up her rent etc I wouldn’t be surprised if it was £12,000 a year that she is not entitled to. We had a council house attached to our last house and had damp issues as they were really unclean and didn’t air their property. I was lucky I could report it to their housing agency and they sorted it but as the land lady is also in on the scam and won’t help I would report.

Kate
KateD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
well nothing I assume this is the stupid part - she came back today (blue bin day tomorrow) and didnt even bring back the black bin from last week, and took the blue bin out which has nothing in! this is the usual routine - she comes back, moves the bins, makes the odd phone call then leaves for another fortnight (or longer)
Presumably to make the property look occupied.
Housing benefit is paid by the council, rubbish collections are also the responsibility of the council. It wouldn't be much of a stretch that the bin men are told to report long time unoccupied properties.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

This is two separate issues.

1) the landlady not sorting the damp, broken fence and faulty smoke alarm. Reporting the tennant won't resolve this could only get you another neighbour who may still not care for the property. You need to speak to the landlady and get her to take responsibility for her house. Maybe contact council for advice.

2) The tennant potentially committing benefit fraud. You could report her, she could see her benefits stopped or reduced and she still might stay at the boyfriends. She may lose the house and you may not have to see her again. Still doesn't sort the issues of the house.

Edited at 08:45 PM.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Thank you once again for all your replies.

I have to admit my distain is almost more for the landlady than the occupier. I assumed that she did not know she wasnt living at the property but when I contacted her about the smoke alarm (and the lady the other side of her did the same) she obviously knew she wasnt there as she said she would contact her to come around. Subsequent messages with the landlady made it clear she didnt care. In fact when I said about the garden situation she said well its her responsibility to do it and so its not my problem! I mean seriously its your house shes wrecking! how can she sleep knowing her tenant is committing benefit fraud and she knows?

sorry for ranting!

I agree that the issues with house wont go away with reporting the woman - is there a specific place you can report landladies/landlords who dont maintain property and leave it empty?
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
colufan
slightly serious Dibber

A quick google search of ‘landlord benefit fraud’ brings up the Universal Credit data, which states that if a landlord knows the benefit is being claimed fraudulently that may have to repay the rent rceived. Would definitely report both the neighbour and the landlord.
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree that the issues with house wont go away with reporting the woman - is there a specific place you can report landladies/landlords who dont maintain property and leave it empty?
A quick Google says tennants can report a landlord to the Council's environmental health dept so I'd assume you can do the same.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
A quick Google says tennants can report a landlord to the Council's environmental health dept so I'd assume you can do the same.
thank you x
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

I agree that the issues with house wont go away with reporting the woman

Before taking action, make time to consider unintended consequences.
It's easy to get involved, but remember, it's you that will still be living next door, for the immediate future.
This woman may move back, bringing her 'partner' with her, plus associated children, if any. They may have friends, relatives, and associates that are at best 'anti-social' or worse, blame their 'situation' on you. Do you think they might suspect you reported them ?

I agree with Blue nose, that you have two separate issues, your pressing concern should be pressuring the landlord'landlady to fix the damp wall, the broken fence, and the smoke alarm.

You may be actually better off with the house staying empty.

I'm not suggesting you don't report this, just that you reflect on the possible outcome.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List