Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
PIGLET38
Imagineer

Wow there’s some interesting thoughts and comments. I married my 3rd husband 3 and a half years ago - his 3rd marriage too! My first marriage lasted 12 years of putting up with an abusive alcoholic, my 2nd marriage lasted 11 years (the father of my son). I have been with my DH for 6 and a half years and can honestly say he’s the person I’m meant to be with and we both only wish we’d met each other years ago. We both went into our previous marriages thinking they would be forever but unfortunately not everyone gets the fairytale first time or even second time - I am very envious of all of you that did. However sometimes it does take some of us a few goes to meet ‘our one’ ...

1993 & 1994 Kissimmee*1999 ASM*2000 Lindfields*2006 Pop Century*2010 Windsor Hills, AKL & ASM*2012 Villa Greater Groves*2014 Cabana Bay/Disney Cruise*Apr2016 Villa Whispering Oaks*Aug2016 Highlands Reserve & RPR*Apr2018 CBR*July2018 HR Villa & Anna Maria*AUG2019 HRH*Dec 2022 Regal Oaks*Mar 2023 HR Villa*
PIGLET38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

My uncles married for the 3rd time.

First one - they just weren’t meant to be, had a child together but it wasn’t going to work.
Second one - absolute nut job of a woman!
Third engagement - repeat of number two.
Third marriage - perfect. They’ve been together something like 15 years now and this is definitely it.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Omg, that is bizarre! Obviously doesn't rea3 takes the vows seriously x

Thats a wee bit mean, it takes two people to make vows stand. I will never advocate for someone to stick in a marriage that is abusive or unhealthy simply because of a vow taken. I have been married once before and I meant my vows with all my heart but after ten years my husband at that time cheated on me with a friend and decided he did not want to be with me. I didnt break my vow but the end result was still divorce. I am married again to a wonderful man and I am very happy but having seen things fall apart in the blink of an eye I will never say never to anything any more. If the couple are happy then who cares. Life is way too short to be alone if you dont want to be so I wont judge anyone for doing what they believe makes them happy at the time.

And its not doing the same thing over again when its with a different person. Each relationship is different so expecting a different outcome is entirely reasonable i think
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

Wow some people are harsh!

My mum has been married three times.

1st husband - Father of my siblings, walked out on her and left her in tons of debt
2nd husband - My father - Turned out to be an abusive <insert word of choice here> and tried to strangle her on several occasions.
3rd Long Term Partner - Passed away at just 69 the love her life, ultimately saved her from marriage number 2).
3rd husband - A very quiet affair, got married in a registry office and then disappeared on honeymoon and didn't tell anyone tell she was back.

My mum has had some real back luck and awful husbands.

I was very lucky to have found my soul mate early and have been together for 18 years, married for 13, HOWEVER I do not know what the future holds and what the many years I hopefully have ahead of me will throw my way.

I don't think you should be judging as I have always believed "you never know what goes on behind closed doors".

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
The OP didn’t say this man was a friend - she said it was someone she and her friend knew.
So gossiping about acquaintances is OK ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Optimistic romantic?

Doesn't believe in sex outside marriage?

Happier as a couple?
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Optimistic romantic?

Doesn't believe in sex outside marriage?

Happier as a couple?
Or just his significant other wants them to marry and even if he feels ambivalent about marriage as an institution and doesn't feel the need understands she wants the emotional and or financial security of marriage ?
The time divorces take to go through it's hardly like he's bouncing from one marriage to another anyway ... even if it was anyone else's business than the couples !
This thread brings to mind that immortal phrase from Bridget Jones, the "smug marrieds".
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tka
slightly serious Dibber

tka's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Wow - is his name Ross Geller?

All jokes aside - If this guy is just someone you know and NOT a friend, then what he does is really nobody else's business.

All the best to the happy couple I'd say!
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Some of the comments on here have made me glad I've never dipped my toe into the waters of marriage, although committed to my partner and we've been together a long time, way we view things is if it ain't broken no need to fix it... We plod on as we are happilly living "over the brush" as my nanna would've said and its fine, I had relationships before meeting my OH one serious but one I never wish to repeat again and maybe that's made me cautious I don't know, but each to their own, there are reasons marriages break up or it could well be because of the death of a loved one, and someone found happiness again. I know people have been happilly married to their childhood sweetheart, people who were together for years then got married and divorced within a year, people who just don't want to marry, I could go on lots of reasons why we do or why we don't stay with "the one"
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

I'm wife number 3, my hubby married number 1 very young (18) and it didn't last, number 2 cheated, that lasted about 6 years, I've been with him 17 years, and happily married to him for 13 of those years. He always says he wishes he had met me first. There are all kinds of reasons why things dont work out, as long as they're happy I say.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List