Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Oct 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Just checked in on Harriet and M15 to see if they were getting ready for a new clutch of eggs only to see E15 is still there, I guess they've made life too cosy for her and she doesn't want to go
Hi RR, spoke to Martha, the island wildlife photographer, she advised Elton and Ella, who have had the same nest for years were recently usurped by a new couple, which involved a nasty fight, E&E have not been seen since.

It would seem this may be a new pairing this year, the female is noticeably larger than the male, he is still exhibiting brown feathers in with his white. No sign of any nest-work, and whilst she seems to be a great fisher-female, Martha has yet to see her share with the male
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi RR, spoke to Martha, the island wildlife photographer, she advised Elton and Ella, who have had the same nest for years were recently usurped by a new couple, which involved a nasty fight, E&E have not been seen since.

It would seem this may be a new pairing this year, the female is noticeably larger than the male, he is still exhibiting brown feathers in with his white. No sign of any nest-work, and whilst she seems to be a great fisher-female, Martha has yet to see her share with the male
Poor Elton and Ella, sounds like new female has a toy boy
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hiya RR - Martha, the island wildlife photographer sent these for me to share on here - as you look at this pair of interlopers the female is on the right in the first photo - you'll see a fish under her left talons and how she's bigger than the male, as all female baldies are. She's vocally threatening as she has no intention of sharing that fish with him, no matter how much he vocalises in the second photo (he's on the right). The last photo he's also on the right (note she is still holding onto that fish ). You can see brown feather scatterings in his baldie head in the 3rd photo, Martha believes he may only have hit his 5 year maturity this year and this'll be his first mating season.

Sadly there's still no sign of Elton and Ella, who nested on Alden Pines golf course for years... the interlopers saw them off and they haven't rerturned, hopefully they may have found another nest to work on elsewhere on the island.

Old 30 Oct 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

They are so beautiful, thanks for sharing them and giving me an update
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

They are so beautiful, thanks for sharing them and giving me an update
Heard recently; following Alaska, Fla holds the largest number of baldies
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Harriet and M15 have two eaglets that hatched yesterday, 23rd January. See HERE.

We're missing watching the eagles outside our friends home on the island, at least we can watch Harriet and M15's eaglets plus the NE Fl nest, HERE. I found the NE Fla cam took a while to load, but it did get there
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Harriet and M15 have two eaglets that hatched yesterday, 23rd January. See HERE.

We're missing watching the eagles outside our friends home on the island, at least we can watch Harriet and M15's eaglets plus the NE Fl nest, HERE. I found the NE Fla cam took a while to load, but it did get there
Isn't it exciting and the two both hatched on the same day so hopefully there will be less squabbling, hoping they grow well and healthy.
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Isn't it exciting and the two both hatched on the same day so hopefully there will be less squabbling, hoping they grow well and healthy.
That was my thought too - at this point they're too small to see if one is a bit runty, so, I'm with you, fingers crossed there's less bullying and beak bonking on the smaller eaglet

Also RR, Elton and Ella were usurped from their nest on the golf course at Bokeelia by the two newcomers, who have not shown any signs of mating/egg laying. Martha, the island wildlife photographer, believes they may be just out of being juveniles and are still feeling their way in the baldie romance business
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Gabrielle and Samson, NE Fl nest have two eggs, I don't see an egg watch countdown so it's a case of monitoring. The site has been updated (superb quality, even at night) clicking HERE should take you to the live cam page.

Might not be in Florida but I'll still get some of my baldie fix.
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We were sat in the restaurant in Buena Vista Palace, overlooking the lake. A bald eagle came down and took a fish, missed first time, but returned and flew off with the catch. Amazing to see such a majestic bird. No time to take pics though.