Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mamie Baldwin
VIP Dibber

1995, stayed at Vista Del Lago, remember going to the Mercado and waking ridiculously early to drive to see the shuttle launch but it was postponed due to bad weather.
Mamie Baldwin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

Our first trip was in 1989. We flew from Manchester with Britannia, stopping at Gander on the way there and Bangor Maine on the way back. Entertainment was a big screen on the bulkhead which neither myself or the children could see. I have no idea what we did to entertain ourselves! We stayed at the Catalina Inn (junction of the I4 and what is now the John Young Parkway), the hotel is still there with a different name.

DS was very ill before we went and was cleared at the last minute. This was to be our one and only trip so we were in MK from opening until after midnight - remember those long hours? It was MGMs first year and only DH liked it, we all hated it as it was so hot, no shade, and very little to do. Only DH liked Epcot and we had to drag him out after midnight every visit. We all loved Seaworld though, DH firm was part of the same group as Seaworld and we were entitled to unlined free entry. We were also given free 2 week tickets for Water Mania on the 92, long gone now, with free food all day. Loved the place except there was little shade but that didn’t stop us dropping in most days. Looking back at the photos when we got back DS was clearly unwell from day one but hid it from us.

Part way through week 2 DS relapsed and the two of us were stuck in the room while DH and DD went out and about. To make up for a ruined holiday we took them to a toy shop on West Colonial Drive and bought a suitcase full of toys not available in the UK, in line skates, giant super soakers, Lincoln Logs to name a few. There was no luggage restrictions - people were handing bikes in at checkout and they were put in special boxes.

We had to go back the next year to make up for missing out. Went every year then til they set up their own homes and still go regularly as a family now.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
chester5867
Excited about Disney

Our first trip was a begrudged one (for me) with MIL and FIL as a celebration of her 60th in 2005. We flew with Travelcity from Manchester to Sanford and stayed at Orange Lake which was lovely. DW had always wanted to go and take our 2 DD's (4 and 7 at the time) but I'd never seen the attraction. However, from the first moment we stepped onto Main Street in MK - and didn't get more than 50 yards for the first 45 minutes because of photo opportunities - we were all hooked. Did all Disney that time and a couple of days at Seaworld. I was so excited for Seaworld I mistook the plastic Shamu at the entrance pool for the real thing. It was supposed to be a once in a lifetime holiday and we spent a fortune at Downtown Disney in particular. However, due to so many fantastic memories that first visit, we have been back in 07, 09,11, 13, 15, 17, 18 and should have been June this year, including California twice. I might die skint, but with happy memories.
chester5867 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

1997 from Cardiff airport. Not sure which airline.
Stayed in best western on I/drive behind Friendly’s which I guess is now Avanti. Then we had a few nights in a Best Western in Fort Lauderdale. Had a grand jeep Cherokee.
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

1994 - We stayed at a hotel near Florida Mall, the hotel provided free buses to all the parks, which was great as we were too young to hire a car.

I can't remember who we flew with, it could have been Leisure Airways or Britannia, not sure but we did fly direct though.

We did the 3 Disney Parks, Universal Studios and Seaworld all twice each. We also went to Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Centre, River Country, Discovery Island and Typhoon Lagoon. We had tickets for the All American Back Yard BBQ and an airboat ride. We spent most nights partying at Pleasure Island, where "it was New Years Eve every night". We were exhausted, I certainly couldn't repeat that holiday now, I'm too old.
It was a great holiday and we have been back many times since.
Old 28 Oct 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

October 1979 when I was five, I don’t remember a huge amount. We stayed at a Howard johnson motel in Orlando and the Limetree inn in lido key, Sarasota.

There was just the Magic Kingdom for WDW parks, although we also had Seaworld, Kennedy space Center, The Stars hall of fame, Circus World, and my Dads all time favourite, Cypress Gardens👍

Originally Posted by sarahc View Post
1991 when the castle was a weird cake!
Do you mean the pink cake? That was 1996/1997 for the 25th birthday celebrations, I don’t remember a cake in 1991? Although my memory of what happened when is hazy - I just know the pink cake was there just before my wedding in 1998 and I was worried it would still be there and spoil my wedding photos! Thankfully not! 😂

Edited at 09:03 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List