Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Aug 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

Just back Highs and not so Highs

Hi

Landed back on Sunday Morning after a lovely 2 weeks in Florida. Thought Id share a few Highs and not so Highs

Flights

BA - Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale.

Highs
Never flown in to FLL before and was pleasantly suprised. Flight was on time, flew out in Club which was nice. Good flight, food was fairly good.
Immigration, almost first into hall, used automated machines and was through in less than 5 mins.

Not so Highs
Crew on flight completely disinterested, hardly saw them. In comparison Crew in Economy on flight home were fab.

Avis car hire, name on board but nothing else had to go to desk - car not ready, waited for car 20 mins then given wrong car. Waited another 10 mins then finally got away - lots of other people waiting around for cars, not as organised as Orlando.

Rosen Inn Pointe

First time we have ever stayed here, have stayed at the Rosen Inn International but quite a few years ago. We stayed for 4 nights.

Highs
Cheap and cheerful. Close to bars, restaurants. Had a nice meal at Olive Garden. Hotel room was clean and functional. CVS Pharmacy next door meant lots of money spent on make up

Not really any lows

Hard Rock Hotel and Universal

Highs
Lovely hotel, have stayed here before. Stayed 2 nights for the Express passes.

New Hagrid ride. Got into IOA at opening to be told Hagrid ride on delayed opening. Kept an ear out, wandered around Hogsmeade for a bit then went over to ride Hulk. As we came off Hulk checked the Universal App, Hagrids ride open and showing 4hr wait. We ummed and ahhed then decided to walk over and see where the queue was. Got to Hogsmeade and no visible queue so decided to go for it. Locker area was very empty also. Walked in straight round the outside bit queue started in first room and we were on the ride in about 1hr 15 mins.

The ride was amazing, I went in the sidecar and OH on the Motorbike. So so glad that we decided to go back and check the wait. I kind of feel that this ride is how slinky dog should have been, I love slinky but would have loved it more if it was a bit faster.

Not so highs
$21 for 2 beers at the Irish bar, to be expected I suppose but it was a nice break and a sit down for half hour or so.

Minions now has no 3D , we felt it took away from the experience as I noticed all the seats around me a lot more and some of the film just doesn't work as well like the floating in the zero gravity chamber. We probably wouldn't rush back to it next visit.

Didn't bother with the Jimmy Fallon ride, the ride itself was okay (rode last year) but didn't like it enough to want to go through all the pre show stuff which we both found tedious.

Fast and furious, didn't ride this either, we didn't enjoy it last year, feel they really missed something here and it could have been a much better attraction.

Three Broomsticks restaurant. Not really a low but never eaten here so thought we would give it a try. Odd combination of Shepherds pie and salad?. It was okay nothing special. OH had the turkey leg which he quite enjoyed but probably wouldn't eat there again.

Disney Cruise

We boarded the Disney Dream for 3 nights as we had such a good time last year we couldn't miss the opportunity to do it all again.

Highs

Its a beautiful ship we spent a lot of time in the Adult only areas which are so peaceful.

Stateroom Host
He was great. We won a bear at Universal in the claw machine (something from cartoon network called the bare bears - I've never seen it). We took him along as our Mascot. We had some fun with him, One day I left him in the shower with a flannel round him as a towel and when we came back in the evening he was tucked up in bed reading a copy of the Navigator. Our Host probably thought we were nuts.

Castaway Cay

Stunning as always - this time we took our own snorkel masks and had an amazing time, saw rays, cuttle fish and even a giant turtle.

Art of Animation and Disney parks

Stayed for 5 nights before going home. First time for us at this resort but wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Highs

Seemed to be close to everything. Just round corner from Animal Kingdom. Close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, even MK didn't seem that far away. We had a car so only used Disney buses twice (see not so highs)

Lovely themed resort, and actually managed to use the pool this holiday which we really enjoyed.

MNSSHP - first for us as can't holiday in term time. We loved it, we went as Fear and Disgust from Inside out and had loads of compliments on our costumes, all home made. The parade and show were amazing.

After hours, did AK and MK - especially glad as MNSSHP was very busy we felt and only managed about 3 rides. Would definitely do After hours again.

Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian
Once we got there after the bus fiasco it was fabulous. Third time we have done this and we really enjoy it, food is lovely server was lovely and it wasn't too busy.

Not so highs

The long queue for check in at AOA - very slow only 3 CMs on desks. I had done on line check in but needed to pick up magic bands, with hindsight perhaps could have linked our magic bands from last year then when we got the room number message sent perhaps could have skipped check in - not sure if this would work but would have been a lot quicker.

Disney Buses
Waited an hour for a bus to the Grand Floridian from Disney Springs. Then leaving GF sat and waited for a bus and wait time just kept going up and up - waited half hour then decided to get the monorail to The contemporary mainly for a change of scenery. Luckily a bus came in just as we got there - however vowed never to use them again. Then OH suggested our last night at Epcot that we take the bus and have a drink. Waited only 2 mins at Art of Animation so great then when coming home, very long wait, stood in queue wishing had decided to bring the car - oh well.

Coral Reef
Lovely food. Far too noisy. 2 screaming babies, yes that's what babies do however no attempt was made to even try and quieten said babies. Also I was halfway though my starter and main was plonked on the table, think server saw my face as she came over and apologised but didn't offer to take it away. My OH also has a real issue with the clearing of plates before we have both finished but they do that in every restaurant.

Ohana
Again lovely food and atmosphere was good but felt very rushed, dessert came out with the bill. We paid OOP for it as no dining plan this year and was nice to do it but probably won't do it next visit.

Music around AOA. As I said above the hotel has a great theme, but walking round the lion king rooms area and they are blasting out Christina Aguilera, can we not have some Disney music?

Overall we had an amazing holiday. Parks felt very busy compared with last couple of years, we always go same time of year. Weather was good but I think we had a bit more rain than usual however it doesn't bother us.

Next year we are off to California but might get a cheeky week in Orlando if we can...

Thanks for reading
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Great feedback thank you, I know what you mean about all that extra make up at CVS
You could do a mutil stay next year like we are
Have fun with your planning 🇺🇸
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Sounds like an amazing trip!
I love the thought of doing a 3 night Disney cruise with an Orlando trip
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Enjoyed reading your trip report , I don't understand about the Minion ride now where you said it's no longer 3D, what is it then ? I've not been on it since 2017. It doesn't take much to confuse me lol
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Lovely report thank you for taking the time it's always interesting to read the 'good' & 'not so good'
Old 27 Aug 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Interesting post! Love seeing the restaurant reviews etc as that’s what I’m struggling with! Glad you had a good holiday
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I love a highs and lows! Sounds like a great trip!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Welcome back, and a good holiday in the main. That is unacceptable waiting an hour for a disney bus and I wouldn't be impressed.

I have found BA club can be hit and miss, and if people expect great service all of the time they might be disappointed.

$21 for two beers is crazy, and with the usual/expected tip that's about £10 a beer!

We are at Univeral next week (just one night at RPR for the front line passes), and we are hoping to do Hagrids and sounds like you were very lucky wait wise, and glad you enjoyed it.

My wife wants to do afternoon tea at the grand Floridian and glad you enjoyed it (again), I don't mind paying, but I am a simple man and anything other than plain cheese or ham isn't my thing.

With regards coral reef that doesn't sound fun with the screaming babies, but I would have politely told the waiter to bring me a fresh mains after I had finished my starter

Edited at 07:26 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Some good information there thanks for posting. Glad you had mostly a great time.
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Infinity Red View Post
Enjoyed reading your trip report , I don't understand about the Minion ride now where you said it's no longer 3D, what is it then ? I've not been on it since 2017. It doesn't take much to confuse me lol
Thank you for reading. Minions is now 2D so no need for the 3 D glasses, which I suppose if better for people who don't manage well with 3 D glasses because of sight issues. I also suppose that the cost of cleaning and maintaining the glasses was a big factor. As I said though personally I felt it took away from the experience as there are now some scenes that just don't work as well.
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List