Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 28 Aug 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Anna Maria Island - Bug Bites - Warning

Hi

We are on AMI, this is our 7th year staying here and we are 4 days in.

The bitey critters are chowing down on all of pretty good all 4 of us, including my husband, who never gets bit are covered in bites

Currently I’m 2% woman and 98% DEET

We have started taking b1 and garlic capsules, takes a while to get into your system but it can’t harm and we still have 2 weeks left here

We are using 95% DEET, avoiding dawn and dusk outside. None of us are wearing any fragrances

Skin so soft doesn’t work - I think they actually like it

Benadryl extra strength is good for the itch and bring a good non drowsy antihistamine

The bitey things are out in force because of all the wet weather

Hope this post helps someone be better prepared than we were
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I feel your pain, I was exactly the same last year on AMI. The only thing to stop the itching was spray on Calamine lotion, worked a treat!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I was bitten at Anna Maria island two years ago. I went in the water up to my ankles so washed off the insect repellent. I was bitten walking back to the car. About 5 minutes from getting out of the water and into the car. I ended up with big blisters and cellulitis needing intramuscular and oral antibiotics so be careful not to go without insect repellent. It spoiled my holiday as I felt quite ill from both the bite and the antibiotics.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Libandarchie
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

I always get bitten and did when we were there two weeks ago. I always wear perfume/body spray but my husband and son who obviously don’t wear perfume didn’t get as bitten as I did. Take plenty of Hayfever/antihistamine tablets as they stop you from itching
Libandarchie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ball81
Excited about Disney

Can confirm we got peppered with them this time, don’t know if it was because the weather was a little off , more grey rainy overcast warm days then ever this time.
Ball81 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Alyson, Hope you’re well! I bought Trek insect repellant and it worked a treat last year for me. I suffer terribly if I do get bitten, and I didn’t get bitten once. It sounds like things might be worse this year though. I hope it doesn’t spoil the rest of your stay x
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have been visiting for the last 10 years and never had a problem .We fly out in a couple of weeks , But friends are there now and she said she has been eaten alive to the point she had to seek medical advise
Off to camping shop tomorrow
05,07,09 Sandy Ridge 11 LA,Vegas,SF 12Miami,Sandy Ridge,AMI 13 Vegas 13 Miami,Disney,AMI,KeyWest 14 Memphis,New Orleans,AMI 15 West Caribbean Cruise & Keys 15 Miami, East Caribbean Cruise & AMI 16 Orlando & West Caribbean Cruise, 16 Barbados,17 MSC Caribbean Cruise AMI,17Georgia,Carolina,Orlando & AMI 18 Vegas ,LA & Palm Springs,18 NewYork,Arkansas ,Dallas 19 Barbados Cruise 19 Florida 20 Vegas,LA& Hawaii 20 Arkansas
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I’ve had lots of bites. Never had so many and we’ve been coming for many years.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The B12 tablets and odourless garlic tabs really do work. Daily, for at least two weeks before and during.

This works for blood sucky Mossie things bit less well for sand flies. Insect repellent needed for them.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

We are back a week and for the first time EVER my wife didn't get bitten hers what she did https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=citronella
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List