Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Rabbits are no more likely to bite than guinea pigs. Just want to get that out there. I've fostered both over last 10 years and actually think I've been bitten more by guinea pigs thinking my finger is food! ETA that sounds like I am bitten loads - it's very very rare for either species to bite.

Rabbits are expensive pets. Yearly vaccinations, food, hay, accommodation. Vet bills can run up very quickly and they are quite sensitive animals (prey) so can go downhill very quickly. If a bunny is unwell, it's usually a trip to the emergency vets with their extortionate fees rather than wait until morning! Insurance is a must if you don't have savings put away for emergency vet bills.

If you do want rabbits, you would want to get a pair. They are very social animals. A pair from a rescue will already be neutered and vaccinated so you won't need to worry about adolescence and neutering (highly recommended - I fostered a baby and whilst cute he sprayed urine all over me and his shed until neutered ). Sheds are better space for them than hutches, and you can add levels etc. An average pair of rabbits need 60 sq ft of space 24/7. They live over 10 years (my oldest was 13 when he passed) so adopt older ones if that matters.

Just a word of warning, rabbits aren't cuddly animals. They don't like being picked up (prey animal) and prefer cuddles on the floor. Some can be very affectionate and others not - I've got one that will groom me and lay next to me and others which don't want any fuss. Adopting from a rescue will mean you know what sort of fuss level the bunnies will tolerate although I wouldn't say guinea pigs like cuddles either, mine don't as I don't unnecessarily pick them up but most I've boarded / fostered run away from human hands. I have my piggies on a open topped guinea pig table indoors so they are at perfect stroke height without having to 'get them out'.

Rabbits can and will litter train themselves. All of mine go in litter trays which I empty every couple of days. The guinea pigs however, well they go wherever they want. So rabbits are actually easier in terms of cleaning out than piggies.

Any questions, let me know. I've fostered rabbits and guinea pigs for over 10 years so have a fair bit of experience of the little fluffs

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 08:42 AM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Yes all rabbits! Rabbits are social animals and should be kept in at least twos!
Good to know .
I did my own research after I posted and have managed to talk her round to guinea pigs as I think they’d be more suited to her .
She is nearly 10 and very responsible but she would prefer something that doesn’t mind a bit of a cuddle .
We will look for a young bonded pair for her once we have moved and settled in .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

I have two females (sisters) & they are the most complicated animals to care for (& expensive as the others are saying). Their digestive systems are so sensitive that it can be a constant battle to make sure nothing upsets them.

Neither of them like being held although they are friendly enough when you get down to their level.

I don’t regret having them as they are both characters but I would advise some research before you get a rabbit.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Get a cat 🐈 🐱 🐯 🦁 🐆
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Another option to consider is a couple of rescue rats. They are IME better than guinea pigs at being handled, and are really intelligent so you can teach them tricks.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Definitely recommend guinea pigs over rabbits. Pigs can be very tame and are happy to be picked up. Rabbits are softer to touch but generally don’t like to be picked up and kick out
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy_Do_72
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you all for your replies. I think that if cuddling may be unwanted then I might leave it. Our cockapoo offers all that in the masses, and I don’t fancy massive vets bills (I already have a ageing Labrador) I would defo consider a cat...
I just want to see her happy and smiling with something fun to think about...I will not rush into anything.
Daisy_Do_72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List