Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Oct 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

May 1999 booked with Virgin holidays (aged 29 and 35)
14 nights at Swan Hotel with a car
Did 4 Disney parks, Universal and Islands of Adventure, Seaworld and Kennedy Space Centre
Knew very little beforehand, had an amazing time and came back absolutely exhausted!
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

October 1996 was our first time, flew with Monarch, Captain McCall was the pilot as my 3 sons all got a badge saying "I flew with Captain Mccall" We stayed 2 weeks in The Gateway Inn on Kirkman Road, absolutely loved it, I don't think I've ever been as excited as I was on that first trip, my boys were 7,9,and 15.We loved everything, even Ponderosa!
We did the parks from open to close, hated the big pink castle cake and knew I had to go back to see the real deal, even though this holiday was to be a one off! 😂
Disney, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Wet N Wild blew us away,Wild West dinner show, everything was just amazing. Been back about 25 times since then and still have that bug. We now mostly go, just the two of us, but have been with my boys and their families too.
OMG I'm so missing being there this year, this will be our first non Disney Christmas in 10 years 😢
Can't wait to get back.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My first time was 2009, we flew from Belfast to Sanford, stayed at Port Orleans Riverside.
We never left the Disney bubble for the whole 2 weeks and I loved it.

I still think it was my favourite trip, we went with no expectations and just loved every minute of it.

I do remember sitting on the bus to the hotel in the pouring rain and passing a billboard that said Welcome to the Sunshine State!
My husband looked and it and said to me, are they having a bloody laugh 😂

We were meant to be at the Beach Club at the end of June for 2 weeks, it was to be our first trip as a couple without our children and we had such an amazing holiday planned 😢

Hopefully things will improve and we can get back soon
Danex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

October 1989 we went to Dallas for a month to visit my brother and his wife, bro moved over there when he was 18 to play professional rugby for Dallas Rugby team, after being talent-spotted.

During the planning phase, my sister-in-law asked if we would like to take the kids to Disney World for a couple of days in the middle of the trip, she would organise it all for us and we could wire her the money. Great idea, we thought - we had no idea what we were getting into at that point! My kids were aged 8 and 6 at the time, we stayed at a Sheraton hotel somewhere near Lake Buena Vista, and had 3 days there. Because of travel times, we only had one day each in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but we all loved it so much that we then saved up for 2 years to be able to spend a week there, plus a week in Miami, in 1991. 31 years later and I have now been to WDW 18 times, plus Disneyland in Anaheim twice, Hong Kong and Japan Disneylands once each, (although each visit for 3 or 4 days each), and Disneyland Paris 8 times. The Disney corporation have had more of my money over the years that anyone else!

Can't wait to go again ……...
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
FtLouie
Excited about Disney

Went in 1997 as a family holiday as it was my Grandparents' 25th anniversary, I was almost 9. Grandparents, my parents, my Nan's sister and her husband, my Uncle and me. We flew Virgin (I remember watching the live action 101 dalmatians 3 times back to back on the flight out) and stayed at a villa but don't know where. We did the 3 Disney parks (MK had the castle cake), Seaworld, Universal and Busch. I was scared out of my mind on the Jaws ride and tried to get off mid ride (in the boat house). I remember the giant portions, eating at Ponderosa a lot, and meeting characters. Towards the end of the trip we had a few days at Cocoa Beach; the day we drove there, they had early storms (it was April) and 19 tornadoes touched down in the Orlando area. The trip has special memories as my Grandfather died the following year.
Since then we've been back multiple times, most recently Nov '19, and I'm planning the next trip for May '22 hopefully

Have no fear, Purple Turtle is here
FtLouie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ROO
Imagineer

ROO's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Our first trip was end of January beginning of February 1997 they were taking all the cake decorations off the castle & it looked awful 😂 but we didn’t care we had a fantastic time.
We booked through Thomas Cook & flew air tours from Glasgow via Gatwick ( never got off the plane ) then onto Sanford .
We stayed at the Ramada on I-drive, they did transfers to parks which can only be described as tattie buses even had fire coming out the back end of one of them 🙈.
I remember at that time they were not so strict about luggage allowance so on the way home people had all these giant Mickey Mouse soft toys !
Loved it so much we have been over every year since sometimes twice .
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Jet save car hire from Alamo and a villa in Indian Ridge
Did all the parks
I didn't want to go at all and it was to be once only
Well that didn't pan out we now spend around 100 days a year at the villa
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Year 2000
Stayed Days inn on the 192
Did the meeting never again 😝
We got the shuttle each day
We did us and Disney but no parades or fireworks
Flew with Lumm polly
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Our first ever trip was for our honeymoon in May 1989. We flew indirect with Piedmont Air and spent 14 days at the Delta Court of Flags on Major Boulevard in the days before Universal was even open. t
We stayed there when it was The Delta Orlando. I think I stayed there 3 or 4 times. I can’t remember if we first went it ‘89 or ‘90?
It was actually a really nice hotel back then. The pools and hot tubs were great and everything was well maintained.
My father continued to stay there with his wife and step children for a while afterwards and said it was awful towards the end!
The staff there always remembered us and were so welcoming.
We just used to buy our tickets when we arrived from the kiosk by the main doors of the hotel.

On our first trip we flew indirect through St. Louis with TWA.
Weirdly I remember very little about the parks on that trip. This holiday was the end of my parent’s marriage so perhaps that’s why it wasn’t so memorable? 😬 I honestly don’t think I have any memories of walking around magic kingdom with my mum. Maybe she stayed by the pool? 🤔 weird.

I also just want to go back so badly.
However, we don’t want a watered down experience so we plan to wait until life is back to normal. I just hope DS will still want to come

When will that be? 😩

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

1988 for me. I went down to the travel agent in Newport (South Wales) near where I lived and put my Amex card on the table and told her to book me somewhere hot and sunny.

When she suggested Orlando I rolled my eyes and she said..."there are only two sorts of people in this world... those who think Disney is one of the most amazing places on earth and those who have never been.

Anyway, I flew from LHR to MIA and then up to MCO. I hadn't booked a hotel but stayed on Orange Blossom Trail for a couple of nights - won't stay there again!

I loved it - I've lost track of how many times I've been back since. I've been fortunate enough to go to WDW for conferences as well but it can be frustrating to be that close to the parks with so little spare time!