Around 20% 245 30.28%
Around 25% 4 0.49%
Voters: 809. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 Sep 18, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Well I don't know how you all talk but I must be the only person with a London accent as I am always being asked where I am from by servers and when I say near London most of them say they want to visit London.
I sound like a member of the Royal Family... not. Im not quite Geoff Boycott though.
I have been asked if I'm Australian a few times.
They'll ask where are you from and yes, say they want to go to London, but not much more. I often try to tell them about other areas in the UK, but I'm wasting my time.
Americans will often ask one thing though- What do you do? Not long after saying hello as well. They love to know what you do for a job. Brits hardly ever ask. Not waitresses though but general people. I was in AKL gym, speaking to delightful couple, within 2 mins 'What do you do'? In queue at Blizzard Beach- same. In Hershey last year- same.

Edited at 10:53 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Back on topic, we mention tip creep, and 'suggested' amounts psychologically influencing people. It's clearly working with 63% as of now, paying over 15% I bet even 5 years ago this would have been much less.
I hope someone remembers this thread and it's run again in 5 years, and I bet tip creep has happened again.
Old 5 Sep 18, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Mobile

Interesting idea YT.

Did a search and found this thread from 4 years ago. Suggested tips were 18% and 20% then. This equates to approx 63% of respondents here. Of course, meal prices have increased too.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Here’s a Longhorns bill from 2 years ago. As you can see, 15%, 18% & 20% were the suggested tips. It’s noted in my report that we left 20% so I’m going to assume we rounded up to $85...

JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Just looking at those prices from 2016, they are the same as now so no inflation for those menu items at Longhorns.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Just looking at those prices from 2016, they are the same as now so no inflation for those menu items at Longhorns.
I’m pretty sure the Flo’s Filet has gone up by a couple of dollars (that’s what I usually have, can’t actaully believe it’s not on this bill! )
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Well I don't know how you all talk but I must be the only person with a London accent as I am always being asked where I am from by servers and when I say near London most of them say they want to visit London.
Same for me. Once I was asked if I’d met the Queen.

Personally I like a bit of small talk because I travel solo and chatting just takes the edge off walking into a full restaurant. Also I always ask to be seated in a booth or by the window (instead of near the loo/kitchen or a dark corner and rarely refused even if busy. It’s very generous of them considering a booth can hold 4 people which would give them a much bigger tip.

I tip more than my ‘norm’ for other things that probably only happen because I’m on my own. Such as a free coffee at the end of a meal. In a couple of places I’ve asked for a starter as my main meal (wasn’t listed as an entree) and it’s been served up as a full entree-sized portion. THEN I was charged just the starter price. My DSis once asked for some left-over cheesy biscuits (yum) to be boxed up. When they opened it later they found that the server had put some extra, fresh pieces in.

I’m happy to tip for excellent service on occasions like that.

Edited at 09:11 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I am honestly not trying to have the last word because I believe you have hit the nail on the head with regards what people consider to be good/excellent service, because I might be at fault for thinking okay/normal service is in fact good/excellent
So maybe I have been tipping for okay/normal service when it should be good/excellent.
It's does sound like we consider good/excellent service to be somewhat different. I don't think that's anyone's fault - just our different experiences.

As I said, most of the time I receive "okay" service. The server does their job - by which I mean, takes my order and brings me my food - but nothing more. For example, I think at every WDW restaurant I've been to (all 3 of them!) I've had "okay" service. They served me but they were neither friendly nor grumpy. I was just another customer in a long line they were going to be serving that day. They didn't do anything wrong but they didn't go out of their way to make me feel in any way special either.

However, it sounds like you've had a better experience. Your "normal" service sounds better than my "normal" service. Perhaps they think I'm going to be a lousy tipper and so act accordingly.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Perhaps we should wear 'I'm a Dibber' t-shirts or badges, then they'd know there's almost a two thirds chance of them getting an 18% or better tip.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm not sure about Longhorns but Disney prices have risen massively over the last decade. I did a comparison of the skillet at Wilderness Lodge from 12 years ago, it had risen circa 65% whereas inflation is under 30 (around 25).