Notices

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Basketball 13 28.89%
Ice Hockey 32 71.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Jan 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

Basketball or Ice Hockey

We hope to catch a game whilst in Florida in October but can't decide between basketball or ice hockey. Which one would you go to?

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW

Edited at 09:49 AM.
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Hockey all the way...

I don't "get" basketball... start at one end, bounce up t'other, shoot, score, other team has a go... repeat ad-infinitum...

Very occasionally one team misses, and the winner is the team that missed fewest. Yay.

Hockey, on the other hand?

Fast, aggressive, sublime skills yet full contact, fights, slapshots, wrist shots, redirects, bodychecks, fights, on the fly line changes, Power Plays, fights...

(there aren't as many fights as in the eighties)

Edited at 04:19 PM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sazza22
Getting Excited

Mobile

Definitely hockey! We went to watch Tampa Bay Lightning a few years ago and it was fab!
sazza22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lorimac
Serious Dibber

Basketball for me. Love the atmosphere - very family friendly.
Old 29 Jan 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love hockey, if my Canucks were playing either of the Florida teams when I was out there I’d be making a trip down for a game, though sadly the timing has never worked. Have watched live in Vancouver and it was an amazing experience
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’d say ice hockey, we found the basketball quite boring in comparison, ice hockey was such a good atmosphere, really good fun
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Simplyton
Proud to wear my Ears

Did both on recent trips and I enjoyed the hockey more than the basketball (they may not have let me back into Canada had I said otherwise)

On both occasions we were up in the nose bleed seats. Lightning tickets cost more the Magic ones but that was mostly due to the popular opponents (Bolts v Pens $45 - Magic v Pistons $25)
Atmosphere was very good at both (hometown wins helped) and a lot was done during breaks to keep the crowd engaged.

We got caught in rush hour traffic from Clearwater to Tampa which put paid enjoying any of the pre-game stuff around the Amalie Arena in Tampa. I've heard it can be very good depending on days/opponents etc.

Before the Magic game DS (then 5) hit Stuff the mascots (a dragon) play area and had a blast. We were almost dragging him out to make tip-off.

Food wise both offered plenty of selection but were pretty pricey - Refillable popcorn & soda proved good investments for us.

Whichever one you pick im sure you will have a blast.

Simplyton is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for all the responses folks! I think the ice hockey may win this one!

Where is best to go watch? Tampa or Orlando?

If we were to combine a Busch day with ice hockey in the evening, would that be too much for one day?

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Florida has two NHL teams - Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning - Panthers are Miami.

The Orlando Solar Bears are a Minor League team in the ECHL.

For me, being a hockey fan, I'd go to NHL/Tampa (though "my team" in as much as a Brit can have an allegiance to a foreign league, is the RedWings). Obviously the Solar Bears could be seen without the hour and a bit drive, and I'm sure would provide a fantastic spectacle... and no disrespect to UK Ice Hockey, but the minor leagues there are still a far higher standard than the UK leagues I used to watch in my uni days (Whitley Bay Warriors!).

Little envious in that I only ever visit Orlando in August, so miss the hockey season

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose

Edited at 12:55 PM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

We went to a Solar Bears game last night. It certainly looked like a pro game to my non expert eyes. They play at Amway so it is a big game experience. I wouldn't travel to Tampa unless I was a serious fan.