Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Aug 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Wendywoo
Proud to wear my Ears

24 year old hire costs

I have hired a 7 seater with the top package insurance through TUI stopping in a villa for our two week holiday in May. Last time we went our son was 21 but this time he is 24 and a lorry driver driving 45foot trailers he is insisting he wants to share the driving but when we booked with TUI they said they could not add him as he is not 25 and to ask when we pick car up. Has anyone else had this dilemma.
Wendywoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
djy
Getting Excited

I spoke to Alamo about my 24yr old grandson and was told they charge $25 plus tax per day for under 25 yr olds. You have to get it when you get out there. There are some hire firms that will add the extra insurance before you go. Hope this helps
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

What David says is true. There is a young driver surcharge, usually $25./day. It doesn't matter what your son does for a living, it is based on his age alone. Statisically, accidents drop signiificantly after 25.

ETA: If driving is worth an extra $500. or so to him, let him pay the surcharge.

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Is it possible to cancel the car hire side of the reservation as you can prebook the young drivers package through some brokers.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Wendywoo
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the replies, he’s not to happy as he can’t afford $500 after paying for the holiday. Just me driving again 😃
Wendywoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

A moire affordable option maybe to have him do a one or two day car hire for some of your more relaxed days-maybe take a drive to the coast.

My son had rentals for work when he was young. The company poicked up the tab but they were high tabs.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Wendywoo
Proud to wear my Ears

He did ask if he could just get insurance cover for a few days to try driving on American roads, we are driving down to tampa and Busch gardens I suppose we could ask and he could drive down help out a bit
Old 27 Aug 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I don't know if you could just add insurance, extra driver for a few days. If ypou get a separate rental for a few days, the young driver surcharge would only be $50. and you might be able to get a car that more fun for him to drive.
Old 27 Aug 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Look at Sixt, they don't charge extra for U25's.

You can get a stand alone policy for him to cover.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by claireyfairy8 View Post
Look at Sixt, they don't charge extra for U25's.

You can get a stand alone policy for him to cover.
Sixit now charge per day at between 15 and 35 bucks per day rental (group and location dependant) charge is capped at 279 per rental.
Some groups are unavailable to hire for under 25s.
I have been led to believe the under 25 fee is a charge irrespective of insurance purchased .