Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Aug 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Split Croatia June 2019 ~ Day Six and Seven ~ Brac and Travelling Home

Index

This was our last full day in Croatia and we woke up at 8am, as we’d decided last night that we wanted to catch the ferry over to the island of Brac this morning. To save having to queue to buy tickets, we bought them online the night before. We could catch any of the boats across that day and it cost around £23 for three return tickets.
We quickly got ready and walked to the port, which was only five minutes walk away from our apartment. It was easy to find the right ferry, as we followed the signposts and for once we didn’t get lost. The journey from Split to Supertar was around 50 minutes and we spent this time sitting on the top deck and enjoying watching the view and taking photos.

It was cloudier this morning and when we arrived at Supertar it began to rain (although only lightly) so the views were less clear than we expect they’d usually be.

We disembarked and went for a walk around the harbour. I saw a cat.

We then walked over to near the seafront area and sat on the promenade, as it had stopped raining. Supertar was very quiet and there weren’t many people there (maybe because it had been raining).

We browsed along the stalls near the harbour and bought a turtle shaped candle holder for my sister-in-law to thank her for looking after our pet cat. An interesting fact (I don’t think it’s that interesting but Mum’s insisting on telling you anyway) is that the stone from the island of Brac that this candleholder is made from is the same stone that was used to build the White House. Wow.
We then strolled towards the little church just off the harbour (as we’ve said many times now, we do like churches ) I saw more cats here, they were being fed and were all very cute.

This church was very beautiful and peaceful, as there was no one inside. There was no charge for entry but photos weren’t allowed inside. We took lots of photos from outside and enjoyed walking around inside. There was another altar inside dedicated to St Cross with the same gothic/skulls/dark design which I liked.

When we left the church we decided to walk up the slight hill towards the bell tower. On this gradient there were panels on the wall carved with scenes of Jesus carrying the cross. I thought this was really interesting, as we were walking up a hill and could be compared to how Jesus had to struggle to carry the cross, which was a unique way of using art to show this religious scene.

We then went back to the harbour where we decided we were slightly hungry so we should have breakfast/brunch. We found a nice bakery along the harbour and each bought a pastry and an iced coffee which came to around £6.50. Rob had a hot dog type of thing covered in cheese. He really enjoyed it and it was huge. Mum and I both had custard pastries which were so nice but had loads of icing sugar on them, so Mum got icing sugar everywhere. We sat overlooking the harbour to eat these.

We sat here for a while and then went for a walk in the opposite direction although there wasn’t really much to look at here. Overall we didn’t feel there was a lot to do in Supertar. We were here for about 2 and a half hours and we didn’t think we could have stayed any longer there.
We sat near the port to wait for the ferry and I watched all of the insects here. I found this really interesting as there were huge wasps fighting and looking for food. It might not be fun for everyone to watch but I was very excited There was also a pigeon who looked like he was driving a boat here. Did I mention Georgia’s going to uni to study biology and she’d spend all her time watching any animal if she could? 😉

We caught the ferry back to Split.

By the time we arrived back in Split it was really hot and I just wanted to get back to the apartment quickly to cool down, although we had to stop off at a supermarket (which had lovely air conditioning). As Georgia said, we stopped at the supermarket before going back to the apartment to rest, cool down and pack up ready to leave the next day. I received a text to confirm that the taxi would be picking us up the next morning at 10:10am. We all showered and got ready to go out for our last evening meal.
We decided to walk around the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace before going for our meal this evening, as it wasn’t late and none of us were very hungry yet. We enjoyed strolling around, looking at some shops and the beautiful city for the last time.

Just to the left of the palace area was a wall with artwork displayed on it. We were all drawn to this artwork as it was really unique and I decided that I really wanted to buy one. They were only around £18 and it took me forever to decide what one I wanted. The artist selling them was so helpful, helping me compare them and talking about how they were made. Eventually I settled on this painting to put in our bedroom (as it’s seaside themed)

After Mum bought her painting we decided it was time for food. I still wasn’t feeling very hungry, so decided I wanted something familiar but also not a lot as I didn’t want to feel ill before travelling home the next day. We found an area that we hadn’t explored properly before and there was a square here with a few different restaurants. The one we ate at was called Bistro Mignon and served a variety of America, European and more Croatian dishes, so it had something for all of us. I loved the menu here as it had pictures of old 1950’s Hollywood stars which I loved. I had to take photos of all the Audrey Hepburn pages.

The food here was excellent. I had the Cevapi and chips which was really tasty although Rob had a bigger portion yesterday and his cost less. Rob had Spaghetti Bolognese and after a lot of decision making (I almost chose the Chicken Caesar Salad as it would be light) I chose the beef burger. I expected to not be able to eat a lot of it but it was so good that I ate all of the burger and chips

Rob had two lagers here, I had a vodka cocktail that I can’t remember the name of and a lager and I had water and a freshly squeezed orange juice (which was delicious). Overall, our meal plus tip came to around £50. We’ve looked at reviews for this restaurant on TripAdvisor and it doesn’t have great reviews, but we thought the food was good and enjoyed it as it served a variety. It wasn’t fine dining, but it was good value for what we had and we’d go back there if we were in Split again.
We sat here for quite a while as we enjoyed the location and could people watch and enjoy our drinks.

After we finished here, we walked around nearby. There were quite a few large clothes stores here, including a Zara. We went in here (and as there was a sale) I bought a black denim skirt and comic strip style white and green Sleeping Beauty t-shirt using the last of the Kunas I had converted. These cost around £20 which I was really happy with as I’d been looking for similar skirts at home and they cost around £16-£20.
We went for a walk down to the Riva, as we didn’t want to leave just yet. We took some photos here and of the boat we had been on the day before as we realised we hadn’t taken any photos of it.
On the way back to our Air BnB, we stopped at our usual ice cream shop and Georgia and I had an ice cream. I had Oreo cookies ice cream and I had green apple which was really weird but nice.

We spent our final night as we had spent every night, sitting on the balcony with a drink and watching the city.

Travelling Home
The next day we all woke at 8:30am and quickly got ready and tidied up around the apartment. Whilst Mum and Dad did this I took some final photos of the apartment and the view.

Vana arrived at 9:50am as we had arranged and we thanked her and handed over the keys. Rob and Georgia stood on the end of the road to wait for the taxi, while I waited by the gate to the apartment in case he came that way. We hoped he would stop at the end of the road to avoid the problems of last time, which thankfully he did. We had a very helpful taxi driver this time and we arrived at the airport easily with plenty of time for our flight.
We checked in and went through security easily, although it was very hectic. Once through security, there were no empty seats in the departure lounge and there were queues of people everywhere. We decided to get some food. We each bought a sandwich, a drink and a pack of Pringles between us. This came to a shocking £28, which was more than we had paid for full meals in Split. In retrospect, we should have bought food the day before in the supermarket and took it with us to the airport.
Rob and I didn’t enjoy our sandwiches either as they tasted stale. We did manage to get seats to eat these sandwiches, although we weren’t able to sit next to each other. We boarded on time but there was a 30 minute delay on the runway before we could take off but this was made up on the flight home.
The flight was very uneventful and we arrived back in the UK at 3:20pm. It took around an hour and a half to get our luggage and catch the bus back to the car park. Our journey back home took another two and a half hours, so our travelling home day felt very, very long.

Overall, we’d had a fabulous trip in Split and we would definitely love to come back. This was also our first experience of an Air BnB and this worked great for us, especially as there’s three adults sharing so we had extra space. Our next trip report will be our trip to Vietnam which we will try and start soon. Bye!

Edited at 06:21 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for sharing your trip - it all looked amazing!

Though at £28 for food at the airport! Nothing better than a captive audience!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip - it all looked amazing!

Though at £28 for food at the airport! Nothing better than a captive audience!
It was a great family holiday and Croatia was a beautiful country to visit.

I wouldn’t have minded the £28 so much if it had tasted ok, but it was really bad quality.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your trip I have really enjoyed reading along xx
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip I have really enjoyed reading along xx
Thank you for reading, we do love writing our trips up but it takes a long time, it’s nice to know others enjoy following too
Old 23 Aug 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I’ve definitely followed along & thoroughly enjoyed your whole report,picking up lots of tips along the way.
I must say your last evening meal,certainly appeals to me,so I shall certainly be trying that dish.
Thanks for a great read & im glad you all enjoyed your family holiday
Tracy x
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I’ve definitely followed along & thoroughly enjoyed your whole report,picking up lots of tips along the way.
I must say your last evening meal,certainly appeals to me,so I shall certainly be trying that dish.
Thanks for a great read & im glad you all enjoyed your family holiday
Tracy x
I’m so pleased you enjoyed it and I’m pleased we managed to get the report finished before your holiday, I hope it’s helped you a bit.

We had a wonderful time and I do hope you enjoy Croatia as much as we did 😀
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It's been great reading about your holiday in Croatia. It's not somewhere I've considered for a holiday, but it did seem like you had a good time and the food was pretty good at all the places you ate at. Of course the ice cream looked delicious too.

I'm looking forward to reading about Vietnam.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

This post made me laugh your DD comments were getting sassy! am sad your report has come to an end, have really enjoyed reading along what a lovely holiday I cannot wait to go back to Split! Thank you for sharing with us x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It's been great reading about your holiday in Croatia. It's not somewhere I've considered for a holiday, but it did seem like you had a good time and the food was pretty good at all the places you ate at. Of course the ice cream looked delicious too.

I'm looking forward to reading about Vietnam.
We were surprised at how much there was to see and do in Croatia, we would definitely go back and explore another part some time.

We are in the Cotswolds this weekend for a mini break but hoping to start the Vietnam one soon 😀