Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 3 Jan 19, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Mi11ion Dreams = 2018 - Day 7. First EVER Toy Story Land and Poison in Epcot!

Welcome back, and Happy New Year to 2019.

After a work and festive season enforced trip report writing sabbatical, We are back and running towards the next 21 days that need posting

As always, I can't thank you enough for so many posts, PM's and comments about our trip - really appreciate all that you post here as I don't do any other social media

If you missed DAY 6 it is a click here away

The whole index is here too.

Welcome to DAY 7

Wednesday 1st August

Welcome to -Yorkshire day!

I took to aircon listening throughout the night, as everyone else slept well, except me, which then turned into podcast listening and a bit of sleep thereafter.

When the alarm sounded at 8-40, we were ready and off to wait 30 mins for a Disney Bus!

I really get peeved by that, and possibly even more so- by the fact the MDE addition to the App (we all love and know) - now has bus wait times attached - this morning their accuracy was lacking, along with my mood! (Guess who was Mr Grumpy Gills this morning!)

Whilst I had initially hoped for an earlier start this morning, the timing of most of our sleeping last night and all that had gone before was catching up, we also had a late one planned today!

As we headed to Hollywood Studios, for the first time on this trip, we were all (including fellow bus passengers around us) rather spooked by the soundtrack on the bus playing -The Harry Potter theme music!

Just try listening - whilst Disney reading - It does not sit well from behind a computer in the UK, never mind a bus to a Disney theme Park!

Whoever put that on the bus soundtrack must have had such a giggle at the expense of Disney Corp and I’m thinking is very possibly now no longer an employee!

Made many of us chuckle though and begin to wonder if we were on a Disney bus to Universal!

The work being done at DHS is still a building site to behold.

A new bus terminal and skyway construction disguises the car park expansion which seems to have doubled in width in 12 months. The whole expansion of the car park is totally amazing!

Like I said, it was our first visit and on entering on a Disney bus (with Harry Potter music!) you did not fully understand the whole footprint expansion of the car park here. I hope to add more in future days as it changed repeatedly and very quickly throughout the trip.

To take this photo - possibly remains a one last time thought for us- amidst the art Deco start of this trip it seemed remiss to miss the continued theming!

Once I had my sack furtled, always good early on a Wednesday morning, we stopped off for coffee and an iced tea for Joe (His new drink of choice, since two minutes ago!)

Our first fast pass of the day, was on Rock ‘n’ Roller which was enjoyed in the back- so much enjoyed that we then rode again in the single rider line. Has to be done!

On our exit, we noticed we had missed the rain shower, so we headed out off towards ToT and in a moment that can only be described as a miraculous happening.
Just seconds after this photopass pic.

In all of the whole of the WDW place who could ever just simply ‘bump’ into each other?

We met a wonderful Scarborough Dibb family - last seen in various Scarborough locations and last featured in one of our trip reports, on the train to the airport in 2016.

Still Dibb lurkers so in true GDPR form, I will avoid naming them, but I do have permission to post a photo!

It was so good to see them - they had already been to Toy Story Land and had only arrived last night. They had seen the place before us! Impressive planning

Imagine the chances of this actually happening?

I can understand occasionally bumping into each other at home, but out here seemed something else.

It was such a chance meeting and at a time that was the very start of their trip – the buzz they had as a family as to what lay ahead was so special to share.

No matter where we meet, it is always so special to catch up.

We got a picture together just to persuade her post a reply rather than continue to be a Dibb lurker!

Lovely to meet you all again, just as it was in Morrisons a couple of weeks ago – and DH+ DD in Sainsbury’s just last week.

As we said our goodbyes, hoping that the same thing would happen again (unfortunately It never did) I know you had a fantastic time and I also know you read every single word of all of this – loved that this happened and I also love the fact we still keep meeting when we least expect at home.

We were Tower of Terror bound next, I made the mistake of videoing on my phone - it always starts too dark and then the daylight takes over and also mucks up the picture too – big mistake!

This was my most favourite ride in the whole of WDW (Until Flight of Passage)
Josh and I, even had a whole night of riding it continuously in 2010 during Summer Nightastic, passholder night and something that I will always remember, given that Josh was 6 at the time and we were able to ride without a queue and without the preshow Twilight Zone film.

It is always fun and always had the unexpected happen.

Today we also found a new photopass picture as we exited.

This really was a welcomed addition and I have to admit, when editing pictures, I only wish the boys had not been in football shirt mode!

Amid another cloudburst we saw these things in the shop as we sheltered.

We also knew it was time for lunch, and a visit to the ABC Commissary followed.

I think I have stated before that we struggle with middle of the day food and this was not any different.

It looked like this at the start, and very similar at the end- it was just way too much to eat for each of us on the ribs.

Could not fault the food though, only our inability to eat it all – if any one reads this and looks for a possible OOP meal in DHS this has to be the best option. I was way too much, but delicious all the same.

We then checked out the old Writers Stop, which is now a small brew pub with a wide variety on offer – it was a stark hello to a new place that also brought a recognition that the place was now in a different league in bringing money into the Disney coffers.

There is hell of a lot more profit to be made in a theme park offering alcohol rather than a coffee and a pastry!
I was so sad to see the loss of The Writers Stop and even today, I always will be.
It is now a different place with a totally different purpose.

It had been our special place since 2008, a little haven in DHS that you could pick up CD’s , books, kitchen stuff and more along with Coffee and pastries.

It has been a place that we loved and this trip that sadness of it closing changed. Today was just the start.

(For anyone who reads this whole trip report, one of our final days really does draw a wonderful end into seeing The Writers Stop, into what it is today – know I will not be able to insert a link here just yet but please look at our final days of this trip!)

Our day was about to change, everything we had previously seen at DHS, was about to change, amidst all the building work the closing of TGMR, and the whole of the backlot tour and so much more) we finally had something new!

We had waited and simply put it all aside, but now was the moment.

It was now time, our time to unveil Toy Story Land.

See how patient we had been so far today- we had deliberately made sure we had our true moment.

As we entered it was breathtaking, the theming and the very fact you were drawn into a place that was trying to make you character sized was superb.

The theming is quite something and the pictures should possibly do it more justice than my words. YET, even the pictures still don’t do it justice. Your visual senses are drawn to the extreme, colour, size and the whole detail – even the toilets.

Immersive and totally different than I even expected. The detail will possibly allow the whole land to be future proof itself and when all the hubbub subsides at the opening of star wars world, TSL will probably be a place where families with younger children will be drawn, it did have a feel of the old Toon town in Magic Kingdom with a ride that was better than the Barnstormer and another very similar to the Mad Hatters tea party ride in Fantasyland.

I will exclude TSM from this, as I still think this ride is such a quintessential classic ride and one which you could have in any park without any theme and still recognise it’s greatness.

Our time was now for Slinky Dog, which was a bit quicker than anticipated, yet my eyes and camera were drawn by the Star Wars building site next door.

I will readily admit to not being a huge fan of Star Wars but this looks something else. The car park building site was impressive, but this was on a totally different level.

I do have to admit I have had my knuckles rapped by family too- I had not booked enough FP’s for Slinky Dog and they all felt as though I really did not think it would be as good as it is. I had previously described it as an elongated Goofy ride and having enjoyed it, was quickly reminded of my original perceptions whilst booking FP’s months earlier.

As we exited the ride we soaked up the Toy Story theme and even went to ride Toy Story Mania in the stand by line- the 45 minute queue time didn’t even put us off! ( amazing what a bit of humble pie does for you! )

The new entrance was used and TBH it all fitted in just the same – We were delighted though when we were directed to the third track, just so we could see how they had change the whole queue line.
The queue time allowed us to book a fast pass in our next stop of the day.

It did take the advertised 40 mins and as I walked off with the first win of the holiday we were reminded just how good this ride is.
Amidst all the new stuff Toy Story Mania is still our go to place - it is such a fantastic ride and has become a rather competitive place for us over the years.

We headed for the park exit, but not before noting the return of the film “One Man’s Dream” This saved me from a rant – it is simply the most must see part of every trip to the whole of WDW, it explains why it all happened.

As you will know, this is a must see for anyone -please do not miss it (and if it is not showing ask the CM why not!)
Today I simply remarked how good it was to see the proper film being shown. She agreed too.

We were headed out of the park and avoided being taken to the other side.

We got on the boat and readied ourselves for Epcot.

Josh and Joe went for ice cream in France (just to keep those snack credits ticking over!) whilst we paid a visit to the Rose and Crown for beverages!

On return, Joe uttered the immortal lines...

“I looked at the menu for tonight”
“What did you think?”- We asked
“I don’t know I couldn’t understand it, it did have poison though- Why would you eat poison?! ”

“That will be the fish then - ‘Poisson’! ”

A Joe Classic once again!

The next extract comes exactly from the notes made on my phone –

“We were soon off to Soarin’, which had a very short queue time -as opposed to Test Track which was showing at 2 hours- we then opted to go to Fast Pass Frozen first, and as we returned to TT we saw the black clouds rolling in and then the message they had shut the ride due to incoming weather- we hot footed it back to Soarin’ as we had another FP there and with just a 10 min wait posted we chose the standby option first- it looked like the weather was here for a while. We rode front row centre and every previously wonky building was now straight! (Makes a difference!)

Our FP then saw us complete all three screens in the one day!”

Not sure if it makes a lot of sense but we did Soarin’ a lot, stayed dry and loved the whole Soarin’ bit.

The weather radar now showed a gap in the weather – the accuracy of these apps over here are something to behold, at home they don’t have a clue from one hour to the next - so we took heed of the advice and the break in the clouds and managed to stay dry on our way to…

Chef de France

We had never eaten here before and remained intrigued by the busy buzz about the place last year.

We were early (trying to avoid the weather) and there were all kinds of requests at the check in desk- someone with a reservation at 8 decided they wanted to eat now and someone who had a reservation at 6-15 and was running late – it was now 7pm! It made for the most interesting viewing and just how the CM on the podium remained calm and efficient was a true lesson to watch and learn. She was superb and dealt with everything that was thrown her way in a manner that you would expect within Disney. Impressive interaction with people who were actually being completely unreasonable and some who were rude in the extreme with it.

We, however, were seated quickly and our server Nicholas from Lille was appointed the pleasure of Joe trying to speak French- he was hopeless (Joe, not Nicholas who was fab as our server) - we thought the poison comment earlier was a one off it wasn’t !

The table service dining plan drink option came up trumps tonight- a Kir imperial at $18.50 each was ordered by recommendation of the server – free with the Dining Plan! Result!

The boys took the cola option.

Water was served and was replenished with a great regularity, much to the hilarity of the boys- as no sooner had you tasted it, it was rapidly refilled! I did become a bit of a game too ( and I’m sure the water server was in on his own private game as well! )

The boys ordered the three course prix fix menu with a French onion soup that was a meal in itself.

It tasted delicious, but was way too much if you wanted to be sure you enjoyed your main course. A starter that really was so impressive, It was delicious and possibly the finest way to start a meal of all time. If you ever get the chance it is a must order!

Alison and I could not face the thought of three courses, especially after lunch being such a massive portion, and as she opted for a boefe bourginion (like Joe), I had the beef fillete, Josh was on the salmon.

Now as it all arrived, and we began to eat (after food photos!) Joe continued his now holiday habit of engaging mouth without attaching brain.

“Mmmm... it’s beef”

Goodness know what he thought he ordered!

We enjoyed each meal and with the addition of a glass of wine for Alison and I was possibly the best complete meal we had experienced yet. The whole experience in here was superb, the food, the service and the overall feeling was so special.
Desserts were enjoyed as was a second glass of wine.
I would not usually have red wine, but the Pinot noir was rather nice.

Can’t praise Chef De France enough, we had faultless service and very special food, having never dined here before , I think it will be first on the list for the future. Just a single DDP TS credit per person, bargain!

As Illuminations - Reflections of Earth reflected in the window we paid our server, gladly tipped him and thanked him for such a great first visit to Chef de France – we will be back.

We headed to the exit with an intention of not photographing fireworks - I ended up taking this as we walked

We were straight onto the bus( Perfect timing) and back at Riverside just in time for a dip in the pool and a hot tub to soothe all aching limbs.

12 hours out of the room and in two parks- it had been a memorable day.

As the lights went out around midnight the boys were asleep in no time at all!

Amazing how much you can fit into a Disney Day

Can't even begin to think what we are doing tomorrow!

See you again real soon

DAY 8 is here

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 11:53 PM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Quick morning read: Joe’s poison 😂🤣👍
Happy New Year to you btw!
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Fab day
I love the way kids mispronounce words our youngest was always doing it and a couple are classic
Old 3 Jan 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I am so pleased you mentioned the HP music on the bus! I'd had an minor disagreement with Kate about this, so I will have to tell her she is right. She was adamant that it was HP and I said there's no way they would play that on a Disney bus, well, I'm shocked.

Otherwise another fab day. How lovely that you bumped into friends by chance. I loved the tower of terror photos. Plus the dinner at chefs de france. We've never eaten there and I've been thinking about it for our 2019 trip, everyone seems to be raving about it and I really think this is going to have to go on the must do list.

Your first glimpses of toy story land are lovely and your reminiscing about writers stop is lovely too. I can't believe you've still got 21 days left to post. Wow!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Kids are funny. Great photos. The food looks lovely, will add it to my to do list.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Poison gave me a smile! Sounds like you had another fantastic day.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great day 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by flo-tinka View Post
Quick morning read: Joe’s poison 😂🤣👍
Happy New Year to you btw!
Still makes me laugh , even reading it all back - the sincerity in which it was said really does make me giggle

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Fab day
I love the way kids mispronounce words our youngest was always doing it and a couple are classic
Strange that is these little moments that you always remember

Thanks for your continued reading and posting too - really appreciate it

Old 6 Jan 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

There must be a story behind the Harry Potter music being on the Studios bus, I must research it. I am wondering if perhaps the score is also used in a lesser known Disney owned movie!?

So much accomplished in Studios today, it does look very busy and I am glad you all enjoyed Toy Story Land. You are right that Star Wars Land looks like it is going to be quite something.

Oh Joe, the poison, so funny.

Thrilled you enjoyed your Chef De France experience, it is quite a special place I felt, so atmospheric.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List